Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Here’s a reason to get tested
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:16 pm
All of this talk about an uptick, about NYC threatening to close schools, all of it is coming from an increase in the positivity rate. That means that, of all the people getting tested, a higher percentage of those tests are coming back positive than before. So how can we help this situation?

If you are feeling fine, if you are pretty much sure that there’s no way you currently have COVID, do us all a favor and go get tested. Your negative result will directly impact the positivity rate that all of these statistics are based on.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:18 pm
I ain't stickin' a huge Q-tip up my nose in order to keep the schools open.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:22 pm
Problem is high rate of false positives.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Problem is high rate of false positives.

Wouldn’t there have been just as many false positives a month ago? Two months ago? In fact more because likely testing would have improved, not gotten worse.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:25 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

Really? I totally would. Have you ever actually gotten tested? It’s really no big deal

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

Same. I was always afraid of this test and today’s thread about someone’s nightmarish test only intensified it.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Same. I was always afraid of this test and today’s thread about someone’s nightmarish test only intensified it.

Same!
Is it like the flu test?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Same!
Is it like the flu test?

Not sure. It's a tiny thing that goes up your nose and burns not hurts. There are exceptions probably.

perquacky

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:40 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Same!
Is it like the flu test?

It's uncomfortable for about 7-1/2 seconds.
Feels like getting water up your nose.
I've given birth four times and passed kidney stones twice. Covid testing was like a walk in the park.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:42 pm
The only fly in your theory is that the people testing locally in Brooklyn's areas are symptomatic. They're not testing just because. Most local drs dont want to test because of the consequences. They're really only testing symptomatic people who need treatment

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:44 pm
perquacky wrote:
I've given birth four times and passed kidney stones twice. Covid testing was like a walk in the park.

I’ve given birth more times plus had other various ailments, I’m still afraid of the test and would only take it if it was absolutely necessary!

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:45 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
The only fly in your theory is that the people testing locally in Brooklyn's areas are symptomatic. They're not testing just because. Most local drs dont want to test because of the consequences. They're really only testing symptomatic people who need treatment

Then your positivity rate will be high. People who have sore throat will either need to quarentine an entire family for 10 days or get a test which can very well be negative and proceed as usual while lowering the positivity rate. The health dept doesn't care about numbers just positivity percentages. In NYS schools can be open as long as an area doesn't reach 9%. So if only 50 sick people test so 30 come back positive thats much worse (60%) than 50 positives out of 600 tests (8%).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:46 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

But that exactly is my point. Maybe they should not be restricting tests only to people who they think will be positive. And you don’t need a doctor’s prescription or permission to get tested, you can just go to a testing site on your own.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:56 pm
DH is a doctor and he said the issue is false negatives from people who get tested too early, not false positives.

Where we live you need to be symptomatic to get tested, although as more testing becomes available, maybe that will change. Anyway, the cases are getting higher because symptomatic people are getting tested and testing positive. If they did allow asymptomatic people to test, yes the percentage of positive cases would
officially decrease.

The fact remains, people are getting Covid in higher numbers again.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:58 pm
I would rather quarantine and not test if I was symptomatic.

I feel incredibly uncomfortable with the idea of contact tracing and health dept visits to my home...

I have no issue with staying home. I take issue with the invasion of privacy.

If it was as simple as testing and then staying home fine. But it's testing, reporting, tracing, retesting ... It's definitely a deterrent for me.

Wish there was a more private way to test. I would still stay home and ensure that my children school was aware. But I wouldn't need the DOH to now go after everyone in my sviva and upend their lives as well.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 12:04 am
perquacky wrote:

I got my COVID test right after birth wo epidural. It’s was still very painful.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:24 am
IDK, I can see your point BUT

In Israel the hospitals started tested all asymptomatic people and of course get some positives then it's the hysteria of "Corona numbers climbing! Must have lockdown!"

I'm refusing to test.

DrMom

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
All of this talk about an uptick, about NYC threatening to close schools, all of it is coming from an increase in the positivity rate. That means that, of all the people getting tested, a higher percentage of those tests are coming back positive than before. So how can we help this situation?

If you are feeling fine, if you are pretty much sure that there’s no way you currently have COVID, do us all a favor and go get tested. Your negative result will directly impact the positivity rate that all of these statistics are based on.

Hey everyone,

Help us skew public health data so we can continue to send kids to school despite the fact that covid once again threatens our community's health. Thumbs Up

Gmar chatima tova!

mother@4

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:30 am
Why don’t we stick to the issue. Why are people who are testing positive on the streets sending their kids to school?

ora_43

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 2:46 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
IDK, I can see your point BUT

In Israel the hospitals started tested all asymptomatic people and of course get some positives then it's the hysteria of "Corona numbers climbing! Must have lockdown!"

I'm refusing to test.

I'm not sure who told you this, but it's wrong. Hospitals have been testing patients for a long time, because it's very important to keep covid out of wards where 80% of patients are high-risk. There's zero overlap, time-wise, between that happening, and the recent increase in cases. Only a very small fraction of positive cases are coming from people admitted to hospital for something else.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics