Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Jewessence

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:13 am
Does anyone have any experience with Jewessence? A seminary in Israel for girls who are struggling? Considering sending DD there this year but would really want to hear from other families who have sent.

flmommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2020, 6:21 am
Sounds Iike such a unique and amazing program. I hope it works well for your daughter. I hope you find lots of people who sent and were happy!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:37 pm
flmommy wrote:
Sounds Iike such a unique and amazing program. I hope it works well for your daughter. I hope you find lots of people who sent and were happy!

Thank you! Bumping up in case anyone else has what to share

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Jewessence? A seminary in Israel for girls who are struggling? Considering sending DD there this year but would really want to hear from other families who have sent.

I know several girls personally who went there. I also know someone who is an alumni and is currently a Madrichot there.

All the ppl I know of had an absolutely wonderful experience.
But be aware that the kids attending are very non traditional. The kids I know who attended were all rebellious of the Frum (nyc) system and had a history of substance abuse etc. at the time of their attendance at jewessance all them were stable and had good treatment to help them come to a healthier place.
Note I do not know if this this is typical for the student body every year but that’s the info I know of 3 girls I know who went there and 1 who ended up staying on as a madrichot

The fact that these kids love it so much and find a home in Judaism through this program is very telling of the curriculum and staff present .

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:15 am
It's a wonderful program! I know a former madricha there.

Be aware though this is not a place for people just struggling a bit. Some of their girls have been homeless, many struggle with substance abuse and most are the types of girls have sx with people every night in town. Or with multiple people. And like sit and compare stories to help you how good the sx was.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:17 am
]It's a wonderful program! I know a former madricha there.

Be aware though this is not a place for people just struggling a bit. Some of their girls have been homeless, many struggle with substance abuse and most are the types of girls have sx with people every night in town. Or with multiple people. And like sit and compare stories to how good the sx was.

I only know of one particular year from someone who went there this past year. I don't know if it's like this every year. Maybe some years the girls aren't doing this type of thing?

amother
Glitter

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 11:59 pm
amother OP wrote:

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but had a question about this program.

Is it suitable for someone who is FFB and still Shomer Shabbos/Kashrus but has had mental-health issues?

Thank you in advance.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 12:06 am
From what I know of the program no.
I know a few girls who went there and they did amazing in the program but they weren't just struggling with mental health. They were addicts and confused not living a frum lifestyle.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 12:11 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but had a question about this program.

Is it suitable for someone who is FFB and still Shomer Shabbos/Kashrus but has had mental-health issues?

Thank you in advance.

No.

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 12:17 am
Thank you for your responses, this is much appreciated.

Does anybody know of a Sem that has experience with girls with mental-health issues who have been hospitalized? And yes, I realize deadlines have passed, but the ideal would be to start this year.

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:04 am
amother Glitter wrote:

Does anybody know of a Sem that has experience with girls with mental-health issues who have been hospitalized? And yes, I realize deadlines have passed, but the ideal would be to start this year.

Without prying too much, was she recently hospitalized or was it already over a year ago? Has she been cleared to live alone, abroad by her treatment team? Most seminaries wouldn’t want the liability of someone who was hospitalized recently. It might be more beneficial for her to stay closer to home. Many girls have a dip in mental health at some point during seminary.

Also, is she solid in her yiddishkeit? Most seminaries who are open minded about mental health issues will also cater to a more out of the box crowd

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:57 am
amother Glitter wrote:

If she is wanting a BY environment, and she is stable and cleared for living in the dorm, Chedvas may take her.

They have been pretty open to taking people from unusual backgrounds as long as they are stable and chedvas believes they would be a good place for them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children