Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Tzimmes, anyone?
1  2  Next

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 10:19 am
anyone have a normal recipe for Tzimmes? not that I like it, I just make it basically to have it on the table. I usually use the recipe from the purple cookbook, and each year it just gets dumped in the garbage...

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 11:00 am
Hey RG Mazal Tov. nice to see you back.

The recipe we all like the best in our family is my mother in-law's. The secret is simply that she does not add any water.

Slice carrots into thin rounds. Put the carrot slices in skillet with "enough" oil but not too much, and SAUTEE on low flame and covered, till very tender, or soft. It will be very slightly browned (could be around 45 min.) It is very sweet and tasty.

[If the flame is too high, the carrots will be fried, and hard. Covering the pan keeps the liquid from evaporating and keeps the tzimmes moist. A steamed effect?]

Flavorings can be a few drops of lemon juice, and maybe dash of pepper for regular Shabbos tzimmes, but leave those out for Tishrei : Rosh HaShana, Erev Yom Kippur, Hoshana Rabba etc.The minhag is not to use vinegar I.e. sour, or sharp, spicy bitter foods or flavorings on Rosh HaShana so we should have a sweet year.

My SIL makes a similar tzimmes, but after the carrots are sauteed, she adds honey (forgot how much) and browns it somehow, maybe in oven. On second thought, my SIL's is even tastier than my MIL's. great competition.

Tovah

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 12:10 pm
I steam the carrots slice them and add honey. I once tryed the purple cook book but it wasn't a winner.
truth be told no one eats it. I make for my husband so he can see it on the table (he takes a tsp worth)

SK

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 12:25 pm
We like my mothers recipe - fry some onions and add some meat and salt. Then add baby carrots (whole) and some brown sugar/honey.

cindy324

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 1:04 pm
I just slice the carrots, sautee in oil a couple of seconds, then add sugar about 1/2 cup, (we like it sweet), stir, lower flame, cover pot, and cook on low until tender, about 30 minutes. The sugar melts into liquid, so don't add any water!

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 2:14 pm
My mother has a great and easy recipe, but it includes other stuff too. Take a bag of frozen sliced carrots, a can of pineapple chunks, a can of apple pie filling and a can of sweet potatoes. Pour into a pan and combine. Dot with margarine and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 350°.

(My mother prepares her own carrots and sweet potatoes, but from the can is much easier.)

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 3:57 pm
thanx for sharing everyone.
sarahd- I never thought of baking tzimmes in the oven, I think ill try it this year since I only have 2 fleishig burners and can also avoid washing out another pot.
how do you think it will turn out if I steam the carrots first like Tovah does? its so much easier and neater to slice soft carrots.

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 4:22 pm
My mother cuts them with a ripple slicer, but I wouldn't say it's easy. If you cook the carrots, don't cook them all the way or they'll fall apart when they're baked. I think the frozen sliced carrots are partly cooked too.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Sep 21 2005, 5:09 pm
Well! The recipe I posted before is the way I make tzimmes, and we like it, but my MIL has a different recipe after all. After checking it out with my SIL, I can now post the accurate details. (cindy234's recipe is close to the revised one, but a bit different.)

It seems that my MIL does add sugar to her recipe, and my SIL told me, that she learned her recipe from my MIL. Tongue Out

6-7 large loose carrots
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
cinnamon, white pepper

Slice carrots, Put in pan with oil, mix so that carrots are coated with oil. stir in sugar. Cook UNcovered on HIGH flame! Wait till the sugar hardens a bit, and browns before stirring.

Stick around, and stir every so often, but not constantly. The carrots will get crispy and browned with the sugar, and not mushy, cook till tender. Add cinnamon (and pepper if you like) to taste,
Cover, and keep on very low flame for 10-15 minutes, to soften the carrots, and help absorb flavors. Before Shabbos keep on blech for same.

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 3:42 am
This sounds really interesting, SY. My husband loves sweet carrots. Maybe I'll try this version. (I can't make my mother's because I can't get apple pie filling here.)

shayna82

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 1:30 pm
sarah- the recipe you posted for tzimiis sounds really good, I just want to know if I can add meat to it and still taste good... my husband will like it so much better if there was meat?

thanks

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 2:31 pm
I've never tasted it with meat, but if you think it'll be good, by all means. Let us know how it tasted.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 3:00 pm
Sarad, good luck on trying my (SIL's) recipe. I think I'll try it too for Shabbos first, like a preview. I've never made it yet that way. But it is delicious, the way my SIL makes it.

shaina punim

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 10:18 pm
how about glazed carrots
I have one recipe from a neighbor

carrots sliced
oil
honey
onion
let sit all togther over night,next day cook it

mother48

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 10:27 am
I never liked tzimmes as a kid, still don't, and neither does my husband. so, I know it's not traditonal, but I make carrot muffins/kugel instead. they're sweet, quite yum, easy to make (using jared baby carrots)

and best of all, my kids love them- a semi healthy snack Smile

roza

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 11:25 am
do we have to add sugar? or carrots themselves are sufficient?
don't want to cook something that will go to waste food (baal tashchit). nobody eats veggies with sugar or honey in my house.

hisorerus

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 11:29 am
How bout making a sweet potato pie style tzimmes?

roza

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 11:33 am
I thought it has to be davka carrots? no?
sweet potatos ( the orange ones- yams?) is a better choice! coppped and baked with some oil and paprika on it and it's looks like tzimess Wink

hadasa

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 11:37 am
roza wrote:
do we have to add sugar? or carrots themselves are sufficient?
don't want to cook something that will go to waste food (baal tashchit). nobody eats veggies with sugar or honey in my house.

Same here, so I make a stew with chicken and carrots (no sugar) and a carrot cake for dessert.

trafficgal

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 9:44 am
I'm confused I've been trying to find a good Tzimis Recipy but I always thoght Tzimis had Carrots and sweet potatos in it Confused
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics