Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you have hot food for breaking the fast?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

moonstone

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:07 am
Success10 wrote:
We do something similar to this, but not the cheesecake. Although, after reading your post, I might want to change our minhag to match yours.

Yes, we also do bagels, cream cheese, tuna, etc but I like the cheesecake idea!

I can't imagine eating a big, hot meal after a fast,especially with meat or chicken. That's the last thing I'd want.

heidi

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:11 am
We have a dairy soup, garlic bread.
Salmon and a bread strata that is way too calorific to have ever if you haven't fasted for the 25 hours before you eat it.
Garlic bread takes 10 minutes in the oven.
Soup is hot within 10 minutes of putting it on the stove.
Everything else heats up while eating the soup.

essie14

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:54 am
Coffee and rugelach. then bagels and cream cheese.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:28 am
On every fast except Yom Kippur yes, but Yom Kippur it's just not practical.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:54 am
You can break it on coffee and cake while the food heats up.

I’m having:
Fresh rolls and spreads
Syrian cheese
French Onion soup
Salmon
Mini pizzas
Cheesy cauliflower

Mayflower

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 6:28 am
SuperWify wrote:
You can break it on coffee and cake while the food heats up.

This is what we do.

Tea/coffee and sponge cake + cheesecake.

Then, lasagna with salad. Fruits for desert.

jerusalem90

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 6:34 am
Whatever I can get my hands on quickest, so usually not hot.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 6:45 am
Yom tov meal here, segulah for parnassa also.

sky

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:05 am
Right away we have cake.
And then sit down to a hot meat seuda once the food heats up.

nchr

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:06 am
What we do is have some juice, water and crackers and then have a seuda an hour or so later.

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:14 am
I'm fascinated by how many of you break your fast on a meaty meal, a real seudah. Is this a minhag? A preference? I can't imagine breaking my fast on meat.

We will be having our usual fast-breaking meal: cake, coffee and OJ, than usually about an hour later eggs, toast, mac and cheese. I don't eat sugar or flour, so I break my fast on homemade oatbran and banana muffins and coffee, then ezekiel bread and eggs.

I always put up a cholent for the kids. It's an easy filling meal to serve them on yom kippur and they looooove it. Some of my boys will even eat it for breakfast. For the rest of the meals, I give my kids cereal and milk, challah or matzo sandwhiches, yogurt.

Success10

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:17 am
I realized we have in the house bags of ravioli that need to boil for about 3 minutes, then we can top with ready made cream sauce (I am thawing it now from the freezer) and put in the oven for another 4 minutes with cheese drizzled on top if we want. Either way, that's quick, hot and light. We will also wash on rolls and spreads, and veggies.

nchr

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:18 am
DVOM wrote:
I'm fascinated by how many of you break your fast on a meaty meal, a real seudah. Is this a minhag? A preference? I can't imagine breaking my fast on meat.

We will be having our usual fast-breaking meal: cake, coffee and OJ, than usually about an hour later eggs, toast, mac and cheese. I don't eat sugar or flour, so I break my fast on homemade oatbran and banana muffins and coffee, then ezekiel bread and eggs.

I always put up a cholent for the kids. It's an easy filling meal to serve them on yom kippur and they looooove it. Some of my boys will even eat it for breakfast. For the rest of the meals, I give my kids cereal and milk, challah or matzo sandwhiches, yogurt.

Having a seuda is a minhag.

sky

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:21 am
DVOM wrote:

Minhag. Only do this after Yom Kippur. It’s like a Yom Tov meal.
Othet fasts we eat light milchigs.

DVOM

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:24 am
nchr wrote:
Having a seuda is a minhag.

So interesting. Can anyone tell me more about this? I didn't grow up with it, neither did my husband.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:33 am
For sure. It's a regular yomtov seudah. I double everything I'm cooking for today and then I heat it up the minute YK is over.
Challah fish dips salad soup kreplach chicken sides dessert

Men come home after maariv and kiddush levana so there is time for food to heat.
Even the kids who didn't fast sit down with us, they don't want to miss out.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:47 am
I put the oven on to 500 for about 20 minutes. That’s usually how long it takes from the time it’s over till dh gets home from shul and makes havdallah.
I think the food is usually quite hot. If it’s not, I never noticed. It’s certainly not cold.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:20 am
I prepare an extra plate of food from the erev yom kippur seuda and I put it in the fridge and I put it in the microwave if I have strength I put it in to warm otherwise my husband warms his own food and for myself I drink and have something light.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:37 am
We break our fast on Orange juice and some light cake, then an hour later we sit down for a regular meal. There's also a minhag, on motza yom kippar, to do some work in the sukkah. So in this hour, food gets warmed up and my husband puts up the schach/bamboo.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:39 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Nope, we break it on a family tradition of sweet cheese cake and then a bit later always tuna, veggies, bagels or pita and orange juice.

CHEESECAKE???!!! I'm coming 0ver after the fast!!! LOL LOL
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note