Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are these COVID19 infections repeat or new?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:24 pm
It seems like reinfection is less than 1 % and extremely rare but anyone know how many repeats these new cases are? Of 4 cases I know, just 1 is a repeat and he is elderly so more likely to not have had an appropriate immune response.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:27 pm
My friends husband younger than 30 has it a second time now

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It seems like reinfection is less than 1 % and extremely rare but anyone know how many repeats these new cases are? Of 4 cases I know, just 1 is a repeat and he is elderly so more likely to not have had an appropriate immune response.

That's 25%
Good thing scientific studies are a bit more rigorous than this.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:35 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
That's 25%
Good thing scientific studies are a bit more rigorous than this.

Lol. I'm pretty sure the reinfection rate is less than 1% from the studies I've read...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 11:11 pm
https://www.journalofinfection.....-4453(20)30553-3/fulltext

The dilemma of COVID-19 recurrence after clinical recovery
Marco Bongiovanni et al

A total of 1146 patients were hospitalized and then discharged for COVID-19 in our hospitals during the time-frame considered. Among these, 125 (10.9%) had a recurrence of COVID-19 infection.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 12:20 am
Of all the positive cases I've heard of in the past few weeks there's only one reinfection. He had it back in February before anyone else. So I don't know if he had the chinese virus then and the european virus now... who knows. Or maybe immunity only lasts 7 months? Nothing is really known about this virus....
Three weeks ago I had a close family simcha. a week later a whole bunch of people who were there came down with Covid.... all of them first time infections. The ones who were at the simcha who had it in March, did not come down with it. So maybe immunity lasts around 6 months? what do we really know...

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:08 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(20)30553-3/fulltext

The dilemma of COVID-19 recurrence after clinical recovery
Marco Bongiovanni et al

A total of 1146 patients were hospitalized and then discharged for COVID-19 in our hospitals during the time-frame considered. Among these, 125 (10.9%) had a recurrence of COVID-19 infection.

Can you repost the link, please?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:04 am
As far as I know, the only cases that are clinically being considered "re-infection", is if you had your first infection confirmed, and then had a gene sequence done on that. (How many of us have done that?)

Then you have to test negative for a certain period of time.

The second infection has to be confirmed and gene sequenced, and proven to be a different strain. The separate gene results are the only ones that are conclusive and accepted at the moment.

This does not mean that you may OR may not be able to get re-infected with the same strain, or that it was just dormant for a while, or that it's leftover dead virus particles. Those situations are still pretty vague.

You can choose to believe that antibodies last forever, and that you have nothing to worry about. You can depend on everyone else's antibodies if you want. You can believe that the government is out to control you with 5G and chip implants. You can believe that everything is predetermined, so we might as well all go play in the traffic - if we are meant to die, we will. Zehu.

I would rather just follow the existing laws, and protect the people around me as much as I would like to be protected from them.

Have a safe, healthy, and happy year - all of us to 120!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics