Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Have you ever cooked a roast in a crockpot?

Dairy Queen

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:51 pm
I see online that you can cook a roast in a crockpot. I’d like to do this for Shabbos on Sukkos so that we have yomtov food instead of regular Shabbos food. But being that it will cook for so many hours (probably around 18 hours) I’m wondering if I should put it in frozen. FYI I usually bake it at 350 for 6 hours. Do you have experience cooking roasts in crockpots and can give me your opinion? TIA

Lovemy5

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:05 pm
I’ve done it several times. I put it in the crockpot several hours before Shabbos so it should be somewhat cooked (turning occasionally) and then leave it till the next day. It comes out delicious but doesn’t always slice so well, more like pulled beef. I season with olive oil and spices and last time I added potato chunks and small onions left whole. It came out delicious.

thanks

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:25 pm
Yes. I make into pulled beef. I never did 18 hours, but it should be fine.

Dairy Queen

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:31 pm
Thanks for your replies Lovemy5 and Thanks. Are you saying that there’s no need to put it in frozen?

Lovemy5

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:33 pm
I always defrost first. I think it has to be partially cooked before Shabbos starts. Never had a problem other than the fact that it doesn’t always slice well like I mentioned before.

Amarante

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:38 pm
If you cook in a crockpot, you are not roasting the meat - you are braising it.

The consistency will be shredded meat which can be delicious but it is not the same as a roast cut of beef which is sliced and generally served rare or medium rare. Smile

You braise meats that are tough and need the long slow moist heat to break the collagen down and tenderize. Cuts of beef that are roasted are tender and it would be a crime to buy an expensive cut of beef and braise it in the crock pot - you braise chuck and shoulder cuts. Very Happy

Dairy Queen

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:40 pm
Thank you!!
Yes meat falls apart when sliced fresh. I think it’s worth it though!

Lovemy5

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 10:53 pm
Because it will fall apart, I use a cheaper cut of meat and save the more expensive roasts for when I want more presentable slices. For Yom Tov on Shabbos though, the crockpot works best for me.

Amarante

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 11:09 pm
Braised meats and stews are delicious. They are wonderful recipes that need this kind of slow cooking at low heat like short ribs and pot roast.

But braising a tender cut of beef which should be roasted is a waste of money.

imanonymous

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:59 am
Lovemy5 wrote:
I always defrost first. I think it has to be partially cooked before Shabbos starts. Never had a problem other than the fact that it doesn’t always slice well like I mentioned before.

Just wanted to point out that there are different opinions on this matter.

My Rav holds that it needs to either be fully cooked or completely raw.

As far as roast in the crockpot, I do it every week. It's delicious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics