Home

Do you ever think what if?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:38 pm
(To anti-maskers)
What if the other side of the mask debate is actually right?

What if they DO save lives by reducing spread, reducing viral load, and leading to milder illness, even if it merely prolongs the duration of the virus until there is a safe vaccine or treatment?

If that will be proven in ten or fifteen years from now... How will you feel about your insistence on not wearing them now, and how many lives could have been saved?

I do think about the alternative to my own opinion. I wear a mask even though people around me think I'm crazy. I think that at worst, I'll have some temporary acne, look like a fool for a while, and look back and laugh that the whole world thought a piece of fabric could save lives. But there would be no guilt or regret.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 6:31 am
No responses? Really?
Back to top

amother




Puce
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 6:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
(To anti-maskers)
What if the other side of the mask debate is actually right?

What if they DO save lives by reducing spread, reducing viral load, and leading to milder illness, even if it merely prolongs the duration of the virus until there is a safe vaccine or treatment?

If that will be proven in ten or fifteen years from now... How will you feel about your insistence on not wearing them now, and how many lives could have been saved?

I do think about the alternative to my own opinion. I wear a mask even though people around me think I'm crazy. I think that at worst, I'll have some temporary acne, look like a fool for a while, and look back and laugh that the whole world thought a piece of fabric could save lives. But there would be no guilt or regret.


You have put out a premise that the worst consequence of a mask is acne. That's not true. No one will answer your question with a premise like that.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I keep asking where is the line drawn on someone else's life and mine. Until I can see consideration and respect for the public AND individuals I don't see what there is to discuss.

In case I'm completely wrong and masks absolutely are the make it or break it in saving a person's life, I avoid going out as much as possible. It doesn't actually make a difference in any case because the few times a month(s) I'm out and unmasked then I'm a rodef according to society.

Do you ever think what if? What if a person can risk more than acne when putting on a mask?
Back to top

amother




Ecru
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 6:55 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
You have put out a premise that the worst consequence of a mask is acne. That's not true. No one will answer your question with a premise like that.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I keep asking where is the line drawn on someone else's life and mine. Until I can see consideration and respect for the public AND individuals I don't see what there is to discuss.

In case I'm completely wrong and masks absolutely are the make it or break it in saving a person's life, I avoid going out as much as possible. It doesn't actually make a difference in any case because the few times a month(s) I'm out and unmasked than I'm a rodef according to society.

Do you ever think what if? What if a person can risk more than acne when putting on a mask?

Such as what?
Back to top

amother




Royalblue
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 6:58 am
Your dealing with a generation where you can double park your car and cause 10 blocks of traffic behind you because you’re waiting for your wife to come out of the store and all the double Parker has to say “Let them go around me”.
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 6:59 am
OP, when will you learn that people only care about themselves? That it is so much easier to not see the big picture. I agree with you 100% but you are wasting your time and efforts.
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:09 am
I think what if we would have cancelled large weddings and Purim gatherings when the virus began to spread through nearby communities?
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:12 am
southernbubby wrote:
I think what if we would have cancelled large weddings and Purim gatherings when the virus began to spread through nearby communities?


It has nothing to do with purim
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:17 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
You have put out a premise that the worst consequence of a mask is acne. That's not true. No one will answer your question with a premise like that.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I keep asking where is the line drawn on someone else's life and mine. Until I can see consideration and respect for the public AND individuals I don't see what there is to discuss.

In case I'm completely wrong and masks absolutely are the make it or break it in saving a person's life, I avoid going out as much as possible. It doesn't actually make a difference in any case because the few times a month(s) I'm out and unmasked than I'm a rodef according to society.

Do you ever think what if? What if a person can risk more than acne when putting on a mask?


I presented my thoughts and would like to hear yours.

What are the worst-case risks of mask wearing, if this all turns out to have been unnecessary?

(Obviously there are specific people who face genuine medical restrictions on mask-wearing but let's assume the average poster is not one of them).
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:19 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
It has nothing to do with purim


My kids got it in Crown Heights on Purim.
Back to top

Dandelion1




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:19 am
It is called cognitive dissonance. In this case, on the part of those who disagreed with the handling of the quarantine in the early months, in terms of the closedowns of stores, schools, etc. Rather than shoulder the more complex position of "yes, this is a deadly disease for many people, but we still think it should be handled differently on a policy level, " it's way simpler to just declare "the whole thing is a hoax, the virus is not dangerous."

Sadly, it's often politicians and community leaders who artificially create this false stance, so that the "simple people" that they represent and lead will fall in line and not have to think too much.

Oftentimes this is at play when you find whole groups of people who are similar in one way holding a group position toward a subject that has absolutely nothing to do with the similarity that unites them.
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:21 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Your dealing with a generation where you can double park your car and cause 10 blocks of traffic behind you because you’re waiting for your wife to come out of the store and all the double Parker has to say “Let them go around me”.


Please don't. You and the poster who followed.

Can we please, on erev YK, assume good intent on all sides?

Regardless of where anyone stands, we should all be davening hard that everyone be healthy, that our kids be in school and playing with friends without any reason to fear, and that everyone has parnassa.
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:22 am
southernbubby wrote:
My kids got it in Crown Heights on Purim.


It spread through the whole new york/the whole country/the whole world the same week. It has nothing to do with purim
Back to top

amother




Denim
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:23 am
Sometimes I think what if the Chinese government had shut down travel out of China and alerted the world right away- then I catch myself and don’t go down the what if’s rabbit hole. And remind myself:

We do our hishtadlus and HaShem Is In Charge.

Gmar chasima tova!
Back to top

amother




Puce
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I presented my thoughts and would like to hear yours.

What are the worst-case risks of mask wearing, if this all turns out to have been unnecessary?

(Obviously there are specific people who face genuine medical restrictions on mask-wearing but let's assume the average poster is not one of them).


My scenario, I'm pregnant. I think that the average poster can easily fall into that category. I find that because of sensory and other issues, even though I'm no longer first trimester the mask really causes extreme nausea and I will vomit. To me the goal of not spreading germs from breathing near others will fail because I'll spread everything way worse by vomiting on the street. I've done it. I just feel like not wearing a mask is safer for the general public, way less exposure.

Not to mention the faint feeling I'll feel. It's sooo bad.

Public health doesn't bend. People can't be at their loved ones deathbed. Women and newborns are constantly disrespected by being masked in hospitals. It's all for the greater good. And anyone that's upset about the situation is just selfish. Blocking ten blocks of traffic fataly. I don't know why I'm posting this. My efforts are useless in any case. I'm just a pashuter rodef.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
(To anti-maskers)
What if the other side of the mask debate is actually right?

What if they DO save lives by reducing spread, reducing viral load, and leading to milder illness, even if it merely prolongs the duration of the virus until there is a safe vaccine or treatment?

If that will be proven in ten or fifteen years from now... How will you feel about your insistence on not wearing them now, and how many lives could have been saved?

I do think about the alternative to my own opinion. I wear a mask even though people around me think I'm crazy. I think that at worst, I'll have some temporary acne, look like a fool for a while, and look back and laugh that the whole world thought a piece of fabric could save lives. But there would be no guilt or regret.

You can say the same thing about Hydroxychloroquine/HCQ. If it will save a life then why not give it to people, why restrict it like NY did? The fact that the govt is picking and choosing which "life saving" technique they are willing to utilize I.e. no hcq, yes masks, etc shows that it is political so you cant expect people to take it seriously.

On Rosh Hashana we say Mi Yichyeh because we know Hashem decides who lives and who dies and how. And sadly, Hashem determined to take all these people away from us by using covid (He could have used other means but didnt) so who are we to question the will of God? May we hope for a better year this year and may our politicians allow the use of HCQ to ensure that more people dont succumb to covid. May we be zochei to see Moshiach come this year. Gmar Chasima Tova.
Back to top

amother




Denim
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:58 am
Amen!

And thanks imasinger !
Back to top

youngishbear




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:03 am
imasinger wrote:
Please don't. You and the poster who followed.

Can we please, on erev YK, assume good intent on all sides?

Regardless of where anyone stands, we should all be davening hard that everyone be healthy, that our kids be in school and playing with friends without any reason to fear, and that everyone has parnassa.


Umein!!
Back to top

imasoftov




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:21 am
imasinger wrote:
Can we please, on erev YK, assume good intent on all sides?

There's a line in the "Illuminatus!" trilogy that goes something like "he meant well, or at least he meant something"
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Sep 28 2020, 6:16 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
You can say the same thing about Hydroxychloroquine/HCQ. If it will save a life then why not give it to people, why restrict it like NY did? The fact that the govt is picking and choosing which "life saving" technique they are willing to utilize I.e. no hcq, yes masks, etc shows that it is political so you cant expect people to take it seriously.

On Rosh Hashana we say Mi Yichyeh because we know Hashem decides who lives and who dies and how. And sadly, Hashem determined to take all these people away from us by using covid (He could have used other means but didnt) so who are we to question the will of God? May we hope for a better year this year and may our politicians allow the use of HCQ to ensure that more people dont succumb to covid. May we be zochei to see Moshiach come this year. Gmar Chasima Tova.


It was restricted nationwide by the FDA but I feel that doctors should be allowed to use it.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Curious to hear why you think kids can't learn on zoom
by amother
87 Tue, Oct 27 2020, 2:11 am View last post
[ Poll ] Do you think there should be a private forum for New York?
by amother
53 Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:20 pm View last post
What do you think is a stereotypical “cool girl” frum name?
by amother
92 Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:38 am View last post
What do you think of the name Judy?
by amother
38 Sun, Oct 04 2020, 7:34 pm View last post
I think I will just have to give in
by amother
18 Sun, Oct 04 2020, 4:02 pm View last post