Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Seasonal flu shots this year
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:04 am
What’s doing with them? Yeshiva gives and pediatricians make it part of the appointments other years. I haven’t heard anything about it. Is it not being recommended this year? Is could it be there is a reaction with COVID? Links if you have articles.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:07 am
Of course we are going for flu shots

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:10 am
I read a recommendation by doctors to wait a while this year, because masks and handwashing might delay the onset of the flu season by a month or so, and we want immunity to last until the end of the season.

However, the masks and handwashing ain't happening where I live, so we got our shots on time.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:51 am
No way! I was pro-vax before Corona, bit after.the old sickos made masks mandatory outdoors -- forget it! I no longer believe the health government had my best interest in mind -- just the interest of the old and the sick.

My children and I have already sacrificed way to much for the sickos, I'm not going to give another inch!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 1:57 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
No way! I was pro-vax before Corona, bit after.the old sickos made masks mandatory outdoors -- forget it! I no longer believe the health government had my best interest in mind -- just the interest of the old and the sick.

My children and I have already sacrificed way to much for the sickos, I'm not going to give another inch!

Well, it looks like the flu vaccines are being reserved for the old and sick first, and for front line workers.

So there! Tongue Out

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:39 am
I was at the pediatrician in August for a kid with a rash. He told me that they're recommending getting flu shots early this year because of covid-19. I got mine already and took my kids to get theirs last week. Now I just have to keep reminding DH until he goes to get his. The doctor said that the confluence of covid-19 and the flu is expected to be a disaster and that more people than usual will likely want to get the flu shot this year as well as schools mandating it for all students. They're concerned that there will end up being a shortage so they're recommending to all their patients to get them earlier rather than later this year.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:44 am
Oy. One ima says wait one says go now. No one is thinking ahead to tell people how to be smart? We knew flu season will come. Getting a shot protects my child not the government.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Well, it looks like the flu vaccines are being reserved for the old and sick first, and for front line workers.

So there! Tongue Out

Everywhere?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 2:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oy. One ima says wait one says go now. No one is thinking ahead to tell people how to be smart? We knew flu season will come. Getting a shot protects my child not the government.

Oy. Sorry for contributing to confusion! I was paraphrasing this article:

https://www.wcpo.com/money/ang.....-shot

However, many other doctors disagree. I
would say it depends on where you live. I live in a place where covid precautions don't exist, so the flu can arrive on time and be devastating. On the other hand, the covid-is-over attitude may coincide with an anti-vaccine stance so there may not be a shortage here either, so no harm in waiting.

As usual, ask your own doctor for advice, taking into consideration local conditions.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:46 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

So there! Tongue Out

At the moment in Israel we have a very limited quantity, and they are reserved for over 65 with at least one pre-existing condition and medical workers.

We are expecting the next batch to arrive in the country mid to late October, when they will be available to a slightly wider group. They are expecting increased demand and probably less supply than normal, and have set up a very strict order of priorities as to who gets it.

Don't forget the weather will probably be warm for about another month, and the flu season starts later in Israel than in America, so there isn't quite such a rush to get it yet.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 3:51 am
Elfrida wrote:
At the moment in Israel we have a very limited quantity, and they are reserved for over 65 with at least one pre-existing condition and medical workers.

We are expecting the next batch to arrive in the country mid to late October, when they will be available to a slightly wider group. They are expecting increased demand and probably less supply than normal, and have set up a very strict order of priorities as to who gets it.

Don't forget the weather will probably be warm for about another month, and the flu season starts later in Israel than in America, so there isn't quite such a rush to get it yet.

That's good to know. I've already messaged my doctor about getting in line for the vaccine.

I'm 55, I've already had Covid, and my lungs have not yet recovered. I still get winded going up even the slightest incline, and have to take it easy. (B'H, walking on level ground is not a problem.)

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:05 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

Wh...what??

LOL LOL

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 6:48 am
My pediatrician gave my two year old the flu shot this week at her well check up. The urgent cares are advertising that they have flu shots. Looks like any year, to me.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:30 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

I hope this was just a joke in poor taste.

OP, DH and I both already got our flu shot, the kids are scheduled and getting it soon.

Every reputable source I've seen says it's more important this year than ever to get it, because hospital bed space could be an issue.

I also saw that piece about waiting a few weeks, which doesn't make much sense to me anyway, since it's one small study that could lead to dangerous postponement and forgetting. Even if you take it at face value, that recommended mid October, and it's already almost October, so would make sense to go ahead and schedule it.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:34 am
The same as most other years, I won’t be giving my kids (or myself) the flu shot. The only years that that got the flu was when they had the flu shot.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:48 am
My baby and I had already. My husband will get as soon as his new insurance kicks in.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:53 am
I don’t see the point. Every time we got the shot, my arm killed for a week and we got the flu anyway. Heavy version of the strain in the vaccine.
So there. I’m pro vax but only for vaccinations that actually work.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:55 am
My doctor does not recommend it for most healthy young people any year. I asked him the other week about this year and he said the same. I trust him so my family will not be getting it. He recommended that I get it due to an underlying condition so I will.

* Neither I nor my doctor are "anti-vax" this is specific to the flu shot. My family is fully vaccinated

** My doctor is one who is known in the community as "overzealous" and reactionary. He will often send for testing when other doctors are more lackadaisical. Again. I fully trust him.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 8:15 am
Flu shot is the only shot I don’t believe in. Its the only shot that I always get sick from and it’s never helped (in my experience)

aliavi

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 11:49 am
I had a long time ago a reaction. There are preservative free shots that don’t have the same reactions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics