Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can a person get covid a 2nd time?
Previous  1  2

nchr

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I am personally aware of 5 people in Lakewood who had it in March, tested positive for antibodies, and got it again in the last week. Two of them donated plasma previously. 3 of them have previously tested negative after April. They all have symptoms now and tested positive on the highly accurate PCR tests.

I also saw someone from Crown Heights who has donated plasma and now has it again.

Cases were rare, but they are quickly becoming more common. It seems that just like with other coronaviruses, the antibodies last around 3-6 months- which is just about where we are now in the frum communities.

SARS and MERS both have protection for much longer than 3-6. This virus is most similar to SARS so probably not as long of protection like MERS but probably at least 1 year for most people. We will really need to see though because it hasn't been around that long.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:31 pm
My neighbor tested positive. Had antibodies. Felt the same he did last time so decided to test. Antibodies still tested positive also.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:57 pm
To those who know people who have it a second time-did they ever get a negative after having it the first time?
Dh and I both had it in March and have tested negative since. Trying to figure out how nervous we need to be because we are going to people in the high risk category for sukkos

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 11:59 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
My neighbor tested positive. Had antibodies. Felt the same he did last time so decided to test. Antibodies still tested positive also.

Was he negative or positive when he tested second time?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:19 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
To those who know people who have it a second time-did they ever get a negative after having it the first time?
Dh and I both had it in March and have tested negative since. Trying to figure out how nervous we need to be because we are going to people in the high risk category for sukkos

Why not test before you go?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 12:45 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Was he negative or positive when he tested second time?

Positive both covid and antibodies now.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:04 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I am sick now after having antibodies but don't know if I had it in winter or not.
If you had antibodies then that means you had it already no? so then yes you have a 2nd time.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:06 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Well I am in the hospital right now with my husband who is sick. He had it back in April and now is sick again with some of the same symptoms.
We are waiting for results.
I do know some top doctors and top scientists who said that can't get it again.

Oh my! Sick to the point of hospitalization?!
Or is he there fore something else?
youre waiting for covid results?
let us know when you can.
Refia sheleima.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:06 am
Mama Bear wrote:
If you had antibodies then that means you had it already no? so then yes you have a 2nd time.

I have antibodies and I wasn’t sick at all not even slightly

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:13 am
Mama Bear wrote:

Antibodies are a very unreliable source of info. Unless the poster tested positive for COVID19 perviously or tested positive for antibodies after having had an immediate household member test positive or having had distinct symptoms (shortness of breath and fever or loss of taste/smell) you cannot assume the antibodies have meaning (I.e. having had headaches or been tired). There is a very high false positive rate with the antibodies (varies according to lab) and also a high false negative. You need to look at it clinically.

So it's very possible for people with antibodies to both have protection and not have protection and the same goes for those without. Previous infection is the way to determine if someone is protected, not antibody status. There are ways to test protective antibodies but they are not readily available to public.

Anyways always discuss your personal situation with your dr.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:21 am
Mama Bear wrote:

Wasnt sick in winter, just had antibodies, but now I was very sick

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:27 am
Some of the antibody tests were extremely unreliable. My doctor had me go to a specific lab for mine. He said many of the others were worthless. Supposedly they have a high false positive rate.
If someone is ACTUALLY currently positive for covid antibodies it is impossible to be sick with it again. You cannot get sick with the exact same thing you have high antibodies for. One of the tests has to be wrong. Some covid tests have up to a 30% false positive/negative rate so it could be that. Rapids are the worst. And at least here there have been non covid cold viruses going around too which panicks everyone.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:32 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Wasnt sick in winter, just had antibodies, but now I was very sick

I imagine your antibodies were inaccurate.

Mothers

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:54 am
At this point, while it appears to be very rare for someone who had COVID-19 to get it again, it is clear that many people who believe they already had COVID and/or antibodies have it now - whether because they got it again, or because the illness lingered and they had a relapse, or because of faulty testing, etc.

Therefore, it should not be assumed that just because someone believes they have antibodies - that they are immune to catching COVID and/or passing it on to others.

cnc

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:58 am
Mothers wrote:
At this point, while it appears to be very rare for someone who had COVID-19 to get it again, it is clear that many people who believe they already had COVID and/or antibodies have it now - whether because they got it again, or because the illness lingered and they had a relapse, or because of faulty testing, etc.

Therefore, it should not be assumed that just because someone believes they have antibodies - that they are immune to catching COVID and/or passing it on to others.

Well said
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics