Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did you learn how to knit?
Previous  1  2

MiriFr

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 2:58 pm
I learned in an hour. Someone in seminary knew how and taught me.
A scarf is easy peasy.
A hat is a bit harder because you have to make is 3D round, but not very hard. You can learn on YouTube for sure.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:06 pm
here is a youtube tutorial on how to knit a hat... you need a round needle

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:07 pm
That's such a nice idea. I learned to knit a couple years ago to help my daughter with her bat mitzvah chesed project--we knitted a lot of hats to donate to a local family shelter and a hospital. It did not take long to get the hang of it.

Circular needles are great for knitting hats (and lots of other things). I find them easier to work with than the long needles. One can knit either "in the round" or straight on circular needles.

Personally, I think a hat is a good first project because it is not as boring as a scarf (that does not have a lot of intricate changes to it) and should be faster to complete (because it's smaller). A scarf can take forever to finish. Of course, this is all individual--the first thing I made was a scarf that was just knitting/purling, so that's probably why I feel this way. You could start by doing a swatch just to practice knits and purls if you don't want to commit to a scarf. With a basic hat pattern, you will practice the stitches and learn to decrease stitches (it's really not hard).

To start on hats, I would get a 16" circular needle, a set of "double pointed needles" in the same size as the circulars, and a skein of yarn. Size 7 (4.5 mm) needles and "worsted weight" yarn are a good size to start with. Like others said, there are a lot of good tutorials on youtube. If you have a local yarn store, give them a call--they tend to have nice selections of yarns and many will offer advice or can do an intro class for a reasonable price.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:20 pm
Make sure the yarn is not scratchy and washable.

but, to be very honest, I suppose buying preemie hats would be cheaper, less work and yield better results...

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:39 pm
I can both knit and crochet.
I believe you can learn either from youtube videos. You may have to repeat certain sections a few times until you get it down.
Crocheting is much easier to do and easier to fix if you mess up.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics