Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How will u handle?
1  2  Next

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:28 pm
a purim on a friday with shabbos that night? how will u manage preparations and all?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:41 pm
And, in my case, a baby due a week before?

Possibly a Purim or Taanis Esther Bris, possibly a Shalom Zachar that Friday night?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:52 pm
so out of 40 reviews not even one has an answer?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:54 pm
just like I would any other week. I dont prepare on Fridays, I prepare on Thursdays every week. So this week we'll have soup & cholent in teh freezer, I'll cook fresh fish thursday and make a yerushalmi kugel whic his probably my shlach monos anyway.

Marion

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 1:36 am
It's simple...I'm inviting 4 families to seudah...two will reciprocate with invitations for Shabbat dinner & lunch.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 2:16 am
It's really not so difficult. Cook Wednesday and/or Thursday morning for Purim seuda and Shabbos. In fact, you can somewhat double up and some things you can make for both (eg I'll probably serve the Shabbos chicken soup at the Purim seuda too). Those who are very organized (not me!) can freeze ahead.

Get an early start Purim morning so there's enough time for everything.

The Purim seuda should be in the morning when it's Friday, so clear up, send everyone out to deliver shalach monos Wink and clear up for Shabbos. We always limit our sm when Purim is on a Friday because there isn't much time to deliver them.

Mishie

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 2:26 am
Last time Purim was on a Friday, we had a Dairy Seudah.
Are any of you doing that this year?
It can actually be really nice!

Also, we deliver most of our SM on Purim night, and only a couple on the day of Purim (for the Mitzva).

I'll try to do most of my cooking on Thurs.

And, Megilla Reading early in the morning.

Amital

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 2:34 am
This configuration just means you have to be a little more organized, and I think eat your seudah early so you have a "taste" for Shabbat dinner.

I will cook ahead for Shabbat and the seudah, and overlap some menu items. I also plan to get my mishloach manot made a little earlier, maybe only pre-packaged goods, or freeze my hamantashen in sandwich baggies of a few for easy filling of my baskets. (I should really start thinking more about this!)

Marion

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 5:16 am
Mishie wrote:
Last time Purim was on a Friday, we had a Dairy Seudah.
Are any of you doing that this year?
It can actually be really nice!

Yes, dairy seudah. I'm basically making a glorified breakfast/brunch: french toast, pancakes, salads, eggs, fish, and a cheese platter.

ETA: And NO alcohol, because
1. You shouldn't come into Shabbat drunk and
2. DH isn't allowed to drink anything stronger than grape juice.

louche

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 8:41 am
Just like any other week, food prepared in advance and frozen. I'm taking off from work on Friday and possibly thursday, too, so maybe I'll be able to get the house cleaned in its entirety on Thursday. The seudah will be early in the day and on the light side, featuring broiled salmon. In theory we should be ready for Shabbos earlier than usual b/c we'll all be home, but in reality we'll probably all be scrambling for the showers on the late-ish side, after the seudah. I can't see starting the seudah at 10.00 a.m.! Then again, it'll already be daylight time, with licht close to 7.00 p.m., so what's the problem?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:07 am
Oh I didnt relaize you guys make your own purim seudah. That certainly changes things. We eat the seudah at our parents so our headache will be running around with the shlach monos, getting to our parents on time and getting home on time.

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:37 am
Overlap menus.

Was it 2 or 3 years ago that Purim fell out on Friday? We eat gefilte fish and soup anyway for both Purim Seudah and Shabbos meals anyway, I made the salads a bit bigger and served them both days, and a roast which lasted through the three meals and no one minded eating it over and over, it came out so good.

We also got some really nice Shalach Manos that were wine, challah, and some Shabbos side dishes.

I cook on Thursdays anyway every week. I just can't forget to make kreplach like I did last year. Rolling Eyes

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:57 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Oh I didnt relaize you guys make your own purim seudah. That certainly changes things.

Alot of people don't live down the street from thier parents or il's. Like me for instance. I have never gone to my parents or my il's for any jewish holiday and unless of some great miracle I never will.

The last time purim was eruv shabbos my house was total chaos. I had a baby and a toddler at the time. We had a fun seudah with friends. People were coming in and out of our house. I think I made a cholent and gefilte fish for shabbos and then we ate leftovers from the seudah. so we had a really laid back shabbos. This year I don't know what we will do. Still thinking of options.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:58 am
Soup & kreplach & tuna sandwiches & salad for the seudah & a normal Shabbos meal. I cook most things on Thursday afternoon/evening anyway.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:59 pm
Overlap menues and try to not to over cook! (I always make way to much food!)
After megillah reading thursday night we are having baked ziti, ze hu.
Friday morning I will go to the earliest reading and then get ready my 4 mishloach manos and send my husband off to deliver. and I will set up for the meal. Then Friday night we are going to inlaws and shabbos lunch we are having leftovers and chulent.
And my husband will be so drunk I will probably spend the whole purim crying in my room anyway....

peach

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 10:06 pm
RivkiA wrote:
And my husband will be so drunk I will probably spend the whole purim crying in my room anyway....

Sad That's so sad. Is there any way that you can discuss it with him and come up with a happy medium?

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 10:28 pm
ha, yea right....my husband doesnt listen when it comes to performing this type of "mitzva".

Squash

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 10:36 pm
yeah pickle lady I was thinking what you wrote.

I cook fish on thursday every week and I'll jsut cook more of it to have for the purim seuda. everything else I'll do in advance and pull it out of the freezer on friday morning and into the oven. soup and cholent I can prep in the pots in the fridge on thursday morning and then leave them on the stove all day friday.

I go to megilla when dh comes home from vasikin and the kids r still asleep.

last time purim was on friday we had a beautiful friday night seuda. I rmember being surprised cuz I thought I would not enjoy it and be too exhausted. and dh never gets drunk.

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 11:03 pm
It is going to be very busy, but if you plan ahead, it should work.
We are having a family gathering on Thursday night after the fast. We used to share the cooking amongst 4 of us, for around 40 people. This year we decided to order the food, cut down on the frills, and we'll all come as guests. We do that seudah at the shul across the street from my home, so I am responsible for tablesetting.
On Purim day, we make a very elaborate seudah at home. Before and after I send shalach monos. I have about 20 to send. Then I quickly clear the table from our meal and just put out platters of cake and drink for whoever comes in and wants to grab a bite or drink.
I hope that my Shabbos food will be in the freezer and I hope to have my housekeeper all day on Friday to keep washing away and cleaning away the Purim mess. Late afternoon I will put up the Shabbos food to warm and close to Shabbos we will bathe the children and ourselves. In between, we will try to make it to Boro Park to visit my in-laws.
Right after licht-benching I plan to fall into bed for a nap until kiddush, so that we can enjoy the Shabbos seudah and have an extension of Purim.

Marion

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 1:47 am
RivkiA wrote:
ha, yea right....my husband doesnt listen when it comes to performing this type of "mitzva".

Talk to your husband's Rav ASAP! Our Rav paskened that you are NOT ALLOWED to come into Shabbat drunk, even for the "mitzvah" of drinking on Purim.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics