Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Kept my kids home
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:44 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Torah living never shuts down. That's right.

Sometimes schools and shuls do, for good reasons.

Right now there is no good excuse! Back in march there was good reasom (im talking for US )

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:44 pm
OP, I don't have kids yet but I don't think you are crazy. I don't know where you are living, but in the tristate area the situation seems out of control.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 3:47 pm
I think it's very case/family specific. One of our kids has medical issues, so he's home for the duration - no idea how long that means, but in his case it's what's needed. Rest of the household is doing masks, social distancing, no being in other people's homes, no having friends over, etc. I hope we would do all of that regardless, but in our case our child's health issues are definitely a major factor in our decisions.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:09 pm
I'm OOT, kept my kids home after Yom Kippur as I heard of positive cases in schools and 1 day later school closed (more cases). BH my kids not direct contacts so we don't need to quarantine, but we all tested anyway to go into Yom Tov in peace. I pulled my kids out a few days early in March too. Schools have many cheshbonos, many competing considerations and pressures to work though. I? I just need to decide for my family. IYH, our schools closed early enough to stop further community spread and we'll have school after Sukkos. I hope so!!! Sometimes it's smart to pull back and "suffer" a little (no large simchas, daven outside, wear masks, close out if precautions for a couple of days etc) to gain the greater good...in person school for longer!! Honestly, the large simchas just show how selfish adults are and show that they really don't value children's education as much.

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:22 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Mt. Sinai is overwhlemed right now due to an influx of COVID19 patients. Today a 46 yr old was taken there by Hatzolah at 2:00 and at 11:00 am still had not received water or been given a real room. I don't know the condition of other hospitals but this is a concerning report.

Most NYC hospitals have horrible emergency rooms. I once waited in the Columbia Presbyterian emergency room for about that same length of time, with my son, who was 1 at the time. It was so so awful. Ugh. What is up with NYC hospitals?? And then add covid on top of the usual mess that these E.R.s are, I'm sure it's just awful.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:43 pm
In Brooklyn, the mothers don't seem to care at all. I am in the extreme minority and as I have said before have kept my kids home with the intention of re-evaluating after Succos. I was judged and ridiculed and made to feel very badly about my decision by other parents.

The school I send to didn't offer any remote option. It also didn't follow any guidelines that it said it would. Kids were coming to school that should have been in quarantine, and parents were not made aware of kids who were positive. The whole thing is making me so nervous because I do not know what to do after Sukkos.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:46 pm
I kept my kids home as well.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 4:48 pm
Closed but it's a problem as people WORK

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:00 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
In Brooklyn, the mothers don't seem to care at all. I am in the extreme minority and as I have said before have kept my kids home with the intention of re-evaluating after Succos. I was judged and ridiculed and made to feel very badly about my decision by other parents.

The school I send to didn't offer any remote option. It also didn't follow any guidelines that it said it would. Kids were coming to school that should have been in quarantine, and parents were not made aware of kids who were positive. The whole thing is making me so nervous because I do not know what to do after Sukkos.

By law they must provide an online option and suggest it to the school that as part of their reopening plan they had to submit have a way for remote learning. Your doing the right thing. Trust me the rebbe and menahel are not going to wait in the doctor's office. The rebbe and menahel couldn't care less how messed up your YT will be if your kid or yourself gets sick.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
By law they must provide an online option and suggest it to the school that as part of their reopening plan they had to submit have a way for remote learning. Your doing the right thing. Trust me the rebbe and menahel are not going to wait in the doctor's office. The rebbe and menahel couldn't care less how messed up your YT will be if your kid or yourself gets sick.

By law they also have to social distance, but they don't do that either! Over 30 kids in a tiny, cramped classroom. I seem to be the only one who cared though. I was judged the second I said anything.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:30 pm
My uncle succumbed to the disease and was niftar today. Crying

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 5:58 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
By law they also have to social distance, but they don't do that either! Over 30 kids in a tiny, cramped classroom. I seem to be the only one who cared though. I was judged the second I said anything.

I live in Brooklyn and I care. I worry a lot and am very unhappy with the way schools are not following the proper guidelines but I weighed my options and right now I truly believe that sending my child to school is the right thing to do, FOR US. My child goes to school with a mask every day even though I know it probably doesn't stay on for too long (pre-schooler) and I enforce hand washing as soon as we walk into our house. I daven and hope for the best...

Mothers

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 6:06 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
My uncle succumbed to the disease and was niftar today. Crying

BD”E. So sorry for your loss!

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:00 pm
s/o brought up something Interesting,
She said that last year one of her dds had seven girls absent from class for a few weeks. They had seriously heavy flu cases, yet noone shut down the class Noone demanded quarantining or sanitizing etc.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:06 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
s/o brought up something Interesting,
She said that last year one of her dds had seven girls absent from class for a few weeks. They had seriously heavy flu cases, yet noone shut down the class Noone demanded quarantining or sanitizing etc.

Flu is not COVID19....... maybe for some portions of the populatiom but not from an overall public health perspective.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:21 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Right now there is no good excuse! Back in march there was good reasom (im talking for US )

sure if you bury your head in the sand there is no "excuse".

for everyone else...

amother
Green

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:22 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
By law they must provide an online option and suggest it to the school that as part of their reopening plan they had to submit have a way for remote learning.

I'm not that poster, but I'm livid at the lack of transparency and honesty in DS's school. He was home today, and I have no idea what we'll do after Sukkos. Can you provide me a source or link showing that PRIVATE schools in NY are required to offer a distance learning option? I would like to have DH call the principal to inquire about it, but I know he'll deny it, and I'd like to be prepared with proof.

And better yet, is there a way to get a copy of the reopening plan they filed with the DOH?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:27 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Yiddishkeit NEVER shuts down. Schools and shuls closed back in March to flatten the curve which was the right thing to do but shouldnt have been mroe than 2-4 weeks. every doctor and smart human can tell you the virus WONT disappear if we lock down! The hostipals are not overwhelmed and there is no reason to shut down. People under rhe age of 50 are 10x mroe likely to die from the flu than covid.

We wouldnt have to shut down if people had common sense & wore masks in situations where they couldnt social distance and didnt host/attend large events.
Every smart human, doctor or otherwise, understands that.

its the rest of the people that are the problem, their busy screaming no precautions no lockdown no middle way what do you expect is going to happen?

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:29 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Flu is not COVID19....... maybe for some portions of the populatiom but not from an overall public health perspective.

Seven girls. Seven. One infected the other. They were very sick. Yet their class did not shut down. Now, if there is one child , without symptoms, her class and siblings class was shut down because the child came into contact with a family member who tested positive. Said family member had no symptoms , was tested for work.
I am not saying we should or shouldn’t. I don’t know anymore what to believe or not. This was just an observation.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:44 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
We wouldnt have to shut down if people had common sense & wore masks in situations where they couldnt social distance and didnt host/attend large events.
Every smart human, doctor or otherwise, understands that.

its the rest of the people that are the problem, their busy screaming no precautions no lockdown no middle way what do you expect is going to happen?

Masks dont help! Sorry.
Look at Israel everyone wears a mask there. There is a lockdown. Its not helping. We need to start believing that only Hashem has control over what happens.
Look at sweden. Look st egypt. No mask mandates, full open economy. And theynare doing better than the US and Israel and UK...
Dont gt me wrong, corona is aweful and can be deadly but there is nothing we can do besides pray, Unless we all want to lock ourselves in forever. Its been too long, in my humble opinion.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics