Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami or Mishpacha
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:22 am
Who is that?? Neturei Karta guy??

dorothy1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:22 am
Mama Bear wrote:
This succos, Rechy Frankfurter interviewed Moshe Hirsch's daughter. If you want more controversy.... go read, enjoy Very Happy

Oh goodness. I bought it but didn’t see that.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
His column is still in the Hebrew Mishpacha. Quality writing, the content is on a higher level intellectually than a lot of what the English version publishes. I don’t know why they dropped his column. If there’s a Mishpacha editor eavesdropping here maybe she’d take note.

I really keep hoping they will bring his columns back!
I know my family members who are avid Mishpacha readers say the same.

dorothy1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Who is that?? Neturei Karta guy??

Yes

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:08 am
Mama Bear wrote:
This succos, Rechy Frankfurter interviewed Moshe Hirsch's daughter. If you want more controversy.... go read, enjoy Very Happy

ugh I won't get near an Ami. I literally feel revulsion when I see it, after the way they normalized that cult of evil child abusers.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:03 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Meh. I especially went to read the article although I was saving the mag for Sukkos. It was nothing like Lev Tahor. It was written with disapproval. It was made very clear that the author disapproved of the man. These are the kinds of articles that make Ami interesting. I don't only want to hear from the heroes.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:12 pm
My subscription to Ami recently ended and I'm trying to decide if I should change to Mispacha. I bought both in the last few weeks. I cant get used to the Mishpacha. I dont find too many articles that are interesting to read especially in the main Mishpacha while in the Ami I enjoy both the Regular Ami and Ami living. I even enjoy the business part of it but it has become to predictable for me.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:09 pm
I have a subscription to Mishpacha but I still read Ami most weeks (second hand)
I like Mishpacha much more. It just feels more professional, the writing is better. And there are much more enjoyable articles in it. I love Ring Me, Off the couch, bensousan (forgot the name of the article) and the kichels (of course). I also love the serials.
Mishpacha has Yisrael Besser. I love his writing. And I also love Yonoson Rosenblum's view. And of course the letters to the editor.
I also really like the Family First. They have many different writers and they all write really well.
The junior is stupid. If you're getting it for the kids, the Aim is definitely better. But that's the only thing they're better in.

The parts of the Ami I enjoy are: the Aim Smile , Dina Neuman and Turx. Nothing else. The Ami Living is so empty. There is the sickness section, every week a different disease which takes up most of the magazine which I don't enjoy either.

Basically, I think the Mishpacha is more substantial. Softer, more real, less sensationalist and altogether a better magazine.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:11 pm
I agree with the Mishpacha Jr. My 5 year old calls it his magazine its perfect for him but for my almost 10 year old I buy a circle. Its better then AIM and the Jr in my opinion.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:14 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I agree with the Mishpacha Jr. My 5 year old calls it his magazine its perfect for him but for my almost 10 year old I buy a circle. Its better then AIM and the Jr in my opinion.

I've heard circle is fantastic

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:15 pm
mha3484 wrote:

And my kids think the circle is childish. That’s why it’s great there’s no many options. Smile everyone’s got something to enjoy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:50 pm
Delete

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's interesting. I like Ami's single minded a lot more than ring me.
Ring me is so whimsical. Everything works out so easily and they don't really explore the life of shidduchim. Single minded, on the other hand, is amazing. It's an honest, open, look.

I’m confused. I thought you don’t know what the magazines are about and that’s why you started this thread?!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I’m confused. I thought you don’t know what the magazines are about and that’s why you started this thread?!

Ha, I had the same thought

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:15 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
ha I know Tsivia personally. I'm very curious what's written. .. can't wait to read it Very Happy

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:24 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:

Lol, as I said before, I usually assume these threads are started by an editor or writer looking for feedback. It's ok with me, I hope the editors actually are interested on hearing from regular readers who aren't necessarily going to sit down and send a letter in. Gives us all a chance to be heard and preferences noted.
(That said, I find the Ring Me column to be extremely preachy and irritating. Maybe because the shadchan writer seems to only know 1 specific type of single and tries to shoehorn her advice to fit a specific profile. I like the concept of having a column like this, I just don't like the current tone.
And single minded is over the top ridiculous. So so fake sounding. Sounds like it is written by someone who thinks she knows what the singles scene is like but clearly has no clue about the reality of typical dating. Comes across as someone who probably only knows about a b'show style date or else dated and married the first guy she met at 19. No way this is actually written by a regular single person dating shidduch style. )

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:33 pm
Oh no, I gave myself a way with that one Wink

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Delete

Lol. Busted.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Lol, as I said before, I usually assume these threads are started by an editor or writer looking for feedback. It's ok with me, I hope the editors actually are interested on hearing from regular readers who aren't necessarily going to sit down and send a letter in. Gives us all a chance to be heard and preferences noted.

Its weird though, there's literally a "Ami or Mishpacha?" thread every two months. Truly bizarre if its coming from the staff, like come up with something more original...

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh no, I gave myself a way with that one Wink

Nah. If you worked for a magazine you'd spell away correctly....
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room