Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Meat lasagna - a question

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:34 am
Ive seen a few recipes. What exactly is holding everything together if there are no eggs?
In a dairy lasagna the cheese holds it together.
I would love to make this, for the first time, for chag, but am nervous I will just end up with a sloppy joe type of thing in the oven.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:48 am
It can get a little messy but basically you just serve it carefully. You can also make it in rolls instead of layers, again you need to plate it gently but once it's plated it stays

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:50 am
I agree it gets messy so I started making it in roll ups or I make meat stuffed shells.

I use the recipe here for shopaholics meat lasagna but I use pareve milk to make a white sauce instead of the broth. Its really delicious and not super heavy. I had some recipes in the past that called for using tofutti type products and it was always super greasy.

etky

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:04 pm
I like it make it on Succot but for some reason mine hasn't been coming out so great in recent years - kind of dry, and yes- it falls apart when serving.
I'm wondering if the no-boil noodles are to blame for absorbing all the sauce.
I don't have this problem at all with cheese lasagna though.
If someone has a trick for keeping it moist I would love to hear it.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:08 pm
I find that I get the best results using Ina Gartens method where you take a regular lasgana noodles that need to be boiled but instead you soak them in super hot tap water until they are pliable. Then I assemble the lasagna. It absorbs just the right amount of sauce. I really really dont like using no boil. I am picky about texture and I dont like how they come out.

Miri1

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:12 pm
I make it. My family loves it, even though it is a bit messy.
For the top I layer thinly sliced zucchini and spritz with cooking spray so they crisp up at the end of baking when I uncover the lasagna.

For the rolled up version you would just use boiled lasagna sheets? Or is there a different pasta that people use?

Miri1

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:14 pm
double post

Last edited by Miri1 on Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shuly

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:17 pm
I make it as Meat Ziti instead of lasagna - mixed with ziti noodles.
It's delicious!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:23 pm
Awesome in individual 1 pound loaf pans.

etky

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 1:29 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I find that I get the best results using Ina Gartens method where you take a regular lasgana noodles that need to be boiled but instead you soak them in super hot tap water until they are pliable. Then I assemble the lasagna. It absorbs just the right amount of sauce. I really really dont like using no boil. I am picky about texture and I dont like how they come out.

So interesting. I do exactly that but with the no-boil noodles. I got the technique from Cook's Illustrated. It prevents the noodles from undercooking which can happen if there's not enough liquid in the lasagna to cook them. But even though the noodles are adequately soft, my meat lasagna still comes out dry.
Maybe I will try to get my hands on the regular noodles. They're kind of hard to come by here. The no-boil have kind of taken over the supermarket shelves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics