Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Over-fulfilling halacha
Previous  1  2  3

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 5:55 am
Ruchel wrote:
Left not less
I know. What do you think religiously to the left mean?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 6:03 am
Fake treif: oy yeah, fake shrimps... used to be all over the place when I was in Paris...

Honesty, I don't see the value of any fake, especially not fake meat for vegetarians.

In my view, the "fake" approach limits, when there is a whole wide world of authentic things to enjoy...

The idea is, that you get so creative with what you can have that it will not even cross your mind to miss what you don't have...

That's true for kashrut, and even more true for those who want to go meatless... A rich, colourful buffet of different fruits and veggies is so much more tasty and inspiring then fake shnitzel made out of Quorn or fake sausages made from soya...

The raw material is what inspires the form...

So why should you take an inadapted form and apply it to things that could develop their qualities so much more if you took forms that are adapted to them?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 7:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Fake treif: oy yeah, fake shrimps... used to be all over the place when I was in Paris...

Honesty, I don't see the value of any fake, especially not fake meat for vegetarians.

In my view, the "fake" approach limits, when there is a whole wide world of authentic things to enjoy...

The idea is, that you get so creative with what you can have that it will not even cross your mind to miss what you don't have...

That's true for kashrut, and even more true for those who want to go meatless... A rich, colourful buffet of different fruits and veggies is so much more tasty and inspiring then fake shnitzel made out of Quorn or fake sausages made from soya...

The raw material is what inspires the form...

So why should you take an inadapted form and apply it to things that could develop their qualities so much more if you took forms that are adapted to them?

Why do women wear long sleeve shells under strapless dresses? What

Look, some people like the taste of faux treif, just because it tastes good to them. No need to judge.

Personally, I can't stand any form of liver, or bell peppers. That doesn't make them wrong, and if other people think they taste amazing, that's absolutely fine. They should enjoy in good health!

I think that most people consider faux treif foods to be "bridge foods". It's not a way of life, it's just like nosh. Something for when you have a craving.

If a BT is really homesick for an old flavor, and faux treif helps them keep from being tempted to eat real treif, then that's a great alternative. Same for people who are adjusting to a newly vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. It takes time to adjust to a new way of eating.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 8:07 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I know. What do you think religiously to the left mean?

Not willing to be attacked sorry Smile

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 8:08 am
As long as charedi restaurants will serve them I'll eat them (and then I'll go to mo restaurants)
Most of them I don't know the taste irl
It's just good whether right or not tasting like real

cbsp

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:40 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
There is no comparison between being stringent on one's health and bringing chumrot to a halacha.
No comparison at all. Its like talking about monkeys and chocolate spread.

And your response is precisely my point.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:51 am
My biggest issue was for a long time what is good and what is better.
Some of you know I have a disorder in the autistic spectrum, so I really really like to have a guideline for what and when and how I need to do something.
Example: Chalav Yisrael, I really learned the best thing is CY, and then I saw a rabbi who was giving me chizuk buying cholov stam! WHAT?!?! Then I got told most of the Dutch orthodox yekkes (who wear sheitals, dresses and everything) don't hold by CY and Pas yisroel. However I learned really at chabad sluchim that CY makes you way more spiritual and is better for you and lots more benefits. So hear is the thing I have CY milk, but my husband is ''against'' it he is like ''we live outside of every community, we better can buy stam milk''.
Same thing with Pas yisroel, I'm kinda compatitve in yiddishkeit that I want to do my best, but my husband bh gets me more grounded otherwise I would be an extremist. Anyhoo a rov told us we can do both kinda milk and cheese is CY, bread Pas yisroel... But some people all so told me never trust the things without hechsher but I only get canned veggies or so in Antwerp (some poelpe ihere in holland do this) till someone said I can buy canned peas from the local groceries.

I indeed think with the exposure of the secular live you want to have something which is kinda clear. And I indeed think people now are more frumer then now. I recall when women stopped wearing hats in the askehazi yekkishe shuls and now wearing sheitals. That stuff.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:54 am
CY I so respect but when they "go all spiritual" like you're less than for having another minhag I just am happy it's not my thing

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:07 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Women learning gemara is NOT a slide to the left. It is NOT less frum.
Its different frum to you possibmy, but it is not slide to the keft. These women are very learned.

Politically left. Religiously right, though the “religious right” would disagree. How can more learning be less frum?

cbsp

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:13 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
My biggest issue was for a long time what is good and what is better.
Some of you know I have a disorder in the autistic spectrum, so I really really like to have a guideline for what and when and how I need to do something.
Example: Chalav Yisrael, I really learned the best thing is CY, and then I saw a rabbi who was giving me chizuk buying cholov stam! WHAT?!?! Then I got told most of the Dutch orthodox yekkes (who wear sheitals, dresses and everything) don't hold by CY and Pas yisroel. However I learned really at chabad sluchim that CY makes you way more spiritual and is better for you and lots more benefits. So hear is the thing I have CY milk, but my husband is ''against'' it he is like ''we live outside of every community, we better can buy stam milk''.
Same thing with Pas yisroel, I'm kinda compatitve in yiddishkeit that I want to do my best, but my husband bh gets me more grounded otherwise I would be an extremist. Anyhoo a rov told us we can do both kinda milk and cheese is CY, bread Pas yisroel... But some people all so told me never trust the things without hechsher but I only get canned veggies or so in Antwerp (some poelpe ihere in holland do this) till someone said I can buy canned peas from the local groceries.

I indeed think with the exposure of the secular live you want to have something which is kinda clear. And I indeed think people now are more frumer then now. I recall when women stopped wearing hats in the askehazi yekkishe shuls and now wearing sheitals. That stuff.

So Cholov Yisroel is the halacha. There is an opinion that "chalav haCompanies" or chalav stam fulfills the requirements - but that doesn't make keeping Chalav Yisroel a chumra.

Similarly with Pas Yisroel. Pas Palter (bread of a baker) might be ok due to the way the reasons or Pas Yisroel are understood, but it's more of a loophole...

(We do rely on both leniencies but recognize that they're leniencies)

As far as a Rabbi not keeping Cholov Yisroel - my husband used to live in a small OOT community in the Midwest of the US. The Rov did not keep only Cholov Yisroel - although he would have if he lived in a larger community. He felt that the cost was so prohibitive (I think it was $7 a bottle of milk where the norm was $2-$3) and he didn't want the community to feel pressured to adhere to the standards of the Rov and their family.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:22 pm
I don't see regular milk as a leniency unless your minhag is CY

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 8:50 pm
It's due to genetically engineered pomegranates with too many seeds.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 4:27 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Not willing to be attacked sorry Smile
No attacking. I just wanted to know what you thought that meant, thats all.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:28 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
It's due to genetically engineered pomegranates with too many seeds.

Lol

iammom

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 11:34 pm
What’s wrong with fake treif? Is it treif? No. Is it kosher? Yes.
I think Jews should save their chumros or religious zealousness for improving actual halachos that they need strengthening in (I mean, who can’t find ways to keep Shabbos better?)

Signed, a FFB with a very Bais Yaakov upbringing

cbsp

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 11:56 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Source?

Frumme

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 1:02 am
Ruchel wrote:

CY isn't a minhag, it's halacha. The question is more, "what counts as CY." Cholov stam is a leniency based around government regulation ( https://oukosher.org/publicati.....rt-I/ ).

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 3:36 am
CS exists rabbenu tam. I see it as I see it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions