Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Best way to keep track of expenses

thegiver

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:41 pm
Especially in a joint account...We used to get texts on balance but it got blocked somehow by spamblocker on phone)

I keep spending on credit because I have no idea what our balance is and don't have internet to check it frequently. Also what helps you spend only what you have and not impulse buy? Like how can you possibly plan all expenses --grocery household and miscellaneous? (For the past few years I have assumed that we have no discretionary funds for random expenses--whims come out of credit card or savings)

What works for you and DH?

mother@4

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:20 am
EveryDollar from Dave Remsy. Check it out, it did wonders, and for sure no credit cards by him

working_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:24 am
Budgeting.
We have an excel file where we record all our income and expenses. Every month we sit down and plan out the budget for the month.
We have actually tried every dollar, but find excel a lot easier and clearer.

twogees

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:52 am
We budget out each paycheck as it comes in. We use a program called ynab that were able to budget only what we have in the account. We use dave ramseys way of budgeting but use ynab program and have found it useful. Since really cracking down on our budgeting, weve stopped using ccs all together.

shanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:55 am
Mint? I think it’s called

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:15 pm
thegiver wrote:
Especially in a joint account...We used to get texts on balance but it got blocked somehow by spamblocker on phone)

I keep spending on credit because I have no idea what our balance is and don't have internet to check it frequently. Also what helps you spend only what you have and not impulse buy? Like how can you possibly plan all expenses --grocery household and miscellaneous? (For the past few years I have assumed that we have no discretionary funds for random expenses--whims come out of credit card or savings)

What works for you and DH?

I use excel or the "notes" app until I can get into excel.

when I was budgeting strictly - every purchase went on there. every single receipt, no matter now small.

I had categories - food, household items, pharmacy, clothing, etc & the amount that was budgeted for that category. if I already spent 250 on food and the budget was 300, time to be frugal for the next shopping trip. you HAVE to plan for expenses for each category, if you dont spend it, hooray, but it should be in your budget. discretionary funds should be in your budger, dont assume you dont have it, put it on there.

it was basically the envelope system on the computer.

what helps me not impulse buy? I dont want to be in debt. its as simple as that.
actually, I do budget for "self care/stuff" it can be on a coffee, a manicure, etc. so as long as Im in budget, im good.

ive said this before, but there was a time when that amount was <$20 a month, but the discretionary fund was always part of our budget.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics