Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Silver spring, beware!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:14 am
There are a lot of people from Brooklyn coming your way for chop hamoed.
Stay safe!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:16 am
Just curious , what’s in Silver Spring that people go there for Chol Hamoed? Is it because it’s close to Washington DC?

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:19 am
Your post is disgusting. You're making it seem like people from Brooklyn are some filthy animals you need to "beware" of and stay away from.
What's the problem with people from Brooklyn going? If people follow guidelines, what's the issue? People from all cities are traveling. Travel was never banned.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:21 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]There are a lot of people from Brooklyn coming your way for chop hamoed.
Stay safe![/quot

This is disgusting. Like Brooklyners are some contaminated species that we need to beware of. FYI, Covid is all the country and there are places that have it worse than brooklyn.

Also fyi, people are travelling EVERYWHERE for sukkos. Not just brooklyn to Silver spring. Most people are not staying home like they did on pesach. And yes I think we are going to pay the price for it after sukkos. Hopefully the price will just be extended school closures and not an increase in deaths RL.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:24 am
For everyone’s safety, I hope that New Yorkers who visit MD are going self-quarantine when returning to NY since Maryland is one of the states that has too high an infection / transmission rate (by NY standards).

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:27 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
For everyone’s safety, I hope that New Yorkers who visit MD are going self-quarantine when returning to NY since Maryland is one of the states that has too high an infection / transmission rate (by NY standards).

Laugh

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:29 am
Maryland is off the quarantine list at the moment. But the Baltimore Jewish community is having difficulty now. (I would think that would be more of a problem for Silver Spring.)

I'm curious where people are staying in Silver Spring that allows for sukkahs, and if they have checked with the shuls on whether they will be allowed in.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:30 am
scranton's shul beth shalom is closed

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:32 am
Wow. People are getting offended really easily these days! I think that the current situation is making everyone cranky. Mad

If someone is traveling from a red area to a green or yellow area, it makes sense to be extra cautious.

I live in Beit Shemesh, which has consistently been a red or orange area. If a mass of people from my area were going to go to a less affected area, I'd be equally concerned for the people at the destination. No offense taken. (Even so, we're not going anywhere because of the lock down.)o

That said, EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE should be following the rules. (Not that people are going to do it, but it still needs to be said.) I'm a little surprised when people ask me "where are you going for Succot?" Um, what part of "STAY HOME" don't you understand? I'll be alone, just like Pesach.

You don't have to like the laws. You can even hate the laws. You still have to follow them.

Wishing everyone a safe and healthy Chag Sameach!

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:36 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

I agree! I just took the OP's post to mean that she knows a lot of people from out of town will be coming in (though I guess I see things through more of a benefit-of-the-doubt kind of thing). In my mind it's just as bad to be coming from Brooklyn or Baltimore or some random city in Arizona. People should stay put!!!!!!

Speaking of Baltimore (since that's where I am): Baltimore peeps- keep our illness here in our town- don't go traveling and G-d forbid spread it other places. And people from other places please don't come here to Baltimore. We're all raging, foaming at the mouth sick (slightly exaggerated to deter people form visiting Very Happy ).

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
scranton's shul beth shalom is closed

Wow, closed to outsiders or closed completely? And since when? DH was in touch with them less than 2 weeks ago and they indicated that they were open to those who pre-book for minyan and adhere to the shul's Covid guidelines. Has something changed?

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I agree! I just took the OP's post to mean that she knows a lot of people from out of town will be coming in (though I guess I see things through more of a benefit-of-the-doubt kind of thing). In my mind it's just as bad to be coming from Brooklyn or Baltimore or some random city in Arizona. People should stay put!!!!!!

Speaking of Baltimore (since that's where I am): Baltimore peeps- keep our illness here in our town- don't go traveling and G-d forbid spread it other places. And people from other places please don't come here to Baltimore. We're all raging, foaming at the mouth sick (slightly exaggerated to deter people form visiting Very Happy ).

So she could write that many out of towners will be traveling in. To single out only Brooklyn is disgusting. "Silver Spring Beware!! Watch out! People from Brooklyn are coming!!" This doesn't sound very nice.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Wow, closed to outsiders or closed completely? And since when? DH was in touch with them less than 2 weeks ago and they indicated that they were open to those who pre-book for minyan and adhere to the shul's Covid guidelines. Has something changed?

They have had a number of diagnosed cases in Scranton. So this makes sense. For residents as well as visitors.
Hardly what I would call "disgusting." Just a PSA for those foolish enough to think everything is back to normal, or selfish enough not to care.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:18 am
beth shalom is closed completely the yeshivah had an outbreak

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:19 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
They have had a number of diagnosed cases in Scranton. So this makes sense. For residents as well as visitors.
Hardly what I would call "disgusting." Just a PSA for those foolish enough to think everything is back to normal, or selfish enough not to care.

No one thinks everything is back to normal! It's not selfish to travel and it doesn’t mean people don't care. People have been traveling throughout the pandemic, you can travel safely. She can make a general PSA, but to single out Brooklyn is disgusting. Covid is everywhere, not just in Brooklyn.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:30 am
What about Boston?are shul's open ?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:35 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

closed since a day or two I got an email they have another shul called ohev TZEDEK

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 11:46 am
Blessing1 wrote:
No one thinks everything is back to normal! It's not selfish to travel and it doesn’t mean people don't care. People have been traveling throughout the pandemic, you can travel safely. She can make a general PSA, but to single out Brooklyn is disgusting. Covid is everywhere, not just in Brooklyn.

Ive read some posts here about how people don't care, they are sick of not being able to do what they want, too bad. I would call those posts "disgusting" first.
And, people seem to want to have their cake and eat it, too. Travel safely, yet expect to be welcomed into communal sukkahs and minyanim as well as shuls in every random tourist spot. Travel if you must, but leave those expectations at home. It's ridiculous otherwise or at least extremely self centered. Bring your own pop up sukkah. Plan to daven without a minyan.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Ive read some posts here about how people don't care, they are sick of not being able to do what they want, too bad. I would call those posts "disgusting" first.
And, people seem to want to have their cake and eat it, too. Travel safely, yet expect to be welcomed into communal sukkahs and minyanim as well as shuls in every random tourist spot. Travel if you must, but leave those expectations at home. It's ridiculous otherwise or at least extremely self centered. Bring your own pop up sukkah. Plan to daven without a minyan.

I agree with this. I didn't know traveler's expect to be welcome in communal sukkah's and community shuls. But people travel from all over, not just from Brooklyn. It's wrong to single out one community when people of many communities are traveling.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 12:11 pm
Maybe, but most of those threads start off with something like, where is a good chol hamoed trip 2-4 hours from Brooklyn, with sukkah and minyan. So maybe she could have said it nicer, yes, but most of the clueless expectations actually do seem to come from Brooklyn.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics