Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Garlic confit

nosher

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:30 am
Does anyone know whether I can make this ahead for the second days? How long does it last in the refrigerator? I’d like to make enough today for the entire Yom Tov.
Thanks

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:32 am
Making it ahead really improves the flavor!

It lasts a really long time. Just make sure that there's a thin layer of olive oil over the top, and you can keep it for at least a week in the fridge, or several days at room temperature. You don't have to worry about it going spoiled if it gets left out overnight.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:33 am
I find it can last up to a week in the fridge.

nosher

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:47 am
Thank you!

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:50 am
nosher wrote:
Does anyone know whether I can make this ahead for the second days? How long does it last in the refrigerator? I’d like to make enough today for the entire Yom Tov.
Thanks

On erev Shabbat, I press garlic, cover it in oil, add salt, and put it in the fridge. It keeps well for a few days... up to a week is OK, I never tried more because it's gone quickly...

Frumme

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 8:57 am
It can last for 3 weeks in the fridge (although I doubt it will last that long!).

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:07 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
On erev Shabbat, I press garlic, cover it in oil, add salt, and put it in the fridge. It keeps well for a few days... up to a week is OK, I never tried more because it's gone quickly...

Do you cook the garlic? When it's cooked, it lasts a really long time.

I slow roast mine in the oven first, to get it nice and caramelized. To make it easy, I peel all the cloves first, instead of roasting in on the head. I put all the cloves in a small pan, sprinkle a little salt, and then cover all of it with olive oil.

When when I'm cooking other things, I just put the pan in the corner of the oven. Wrap the pan completely in aluminum foil to make sure the cloves don't burn, and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. The smell is heavenly!

When it's cooled off, I mash up all the garlic with the back of a fork. I like it better that way, rather than using a hand blender. The little chunks are nice.

Frumme

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:39 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you cook the garlic? When it's cooked, it lasts a really long time.

I slow roast mine in the oven first, to get it nice and caramelized. To make it easy, I peel all the cloves first, instead of roasting in on the head. I put all the cloves in a small pan, sprinkle a little salt, and then cover all of it with olive oil.

When when I'm cooking other things, I just put the pan in the corner of the oven. Wrap the pan completely in aluminum foil to make sure the cloves don't burn, and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. The smell is heavenly!

When it's cooled off, I mash up all the garlic with the back of a fork. I like it better that way, rather than using a hand blender. The little chunks are nice.

We do the same, but keep the cloves whole Very Happy

cbsp

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:02 am
ChanieMommy wrote:

Sounds yum.

How do you know if it's bad though?

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article.....n-oil

Can you get botulism from garlic in oil?
Jul 17, 2019
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Research performed by the University of Georgia confirmed that mixtures of garlic in oil stored at room temperature are at risk for the development of botulism. Garlic in oil should be made fresh and stored in the refrigerator at 40 °F (4.4 °C) or lower for no more than 7 days. It may be frozen for several months. Package in glass freezer jars or plastic freezer boxes, leaving ½-inch headspace. Label, date and freeze. For more information, see Garlic: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy.

And
https://ask.usda.gov/s/article.....ables

Is it safe to make flavored oils with garlic or fresh vegetables?
Jul 17, 2019
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Garlic, vegetable or herb in oil mixtures may support the growth of Clostridium botulinum bacteria. For safety reasons, they should be made fresh. Leftovers should be refrigerated for use within three days, frozen, or discarded. The Colorado Cooperative Extension Service has information on the topic, Flavored Vinegar and Oils.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics