Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/O. How do you wash walls and baseboards

flowergirl8

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 1:22 pm
I am a wall spot cleaner. I wipe my cabinets down weekly with clorox wipes. My cabinets are ikea.
I dust my baseboards weekly.

But the last thread abt cleaning made me think I should be doing mpre thorough washings.

So how do you wash
Cabinets
Baseboards
Walls?

My walls are matte and eggshell

pause

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 2:13 pm
Cabinets are wood so I use minimal water all over and stubborn spots with soft scrub.
Walls and baseboards I use Mr. Clean and spots with soft scrub. Extra stubborn stains get the magic eraser plus soft scrub, but I do that rarely because it removes some of the paint.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:01 pm
If cabinets are a wood stain with finish, use a splash of Murphy Oil Soap diluted in water. Immerse rag in solution, wring out until just damp. Wash with damp rag and use a soft dry rag simultaneously to dry.

If the wood cabinets have a paint finish, make a soft rag wet with water and wring out until just damp. Set aside. Put just a tiny drop of dishsoap in your palm; spread between both palms of your hands. Rub evenly into damp rag. Wash cabinets with the damp rag and use a soft dry rag simultaneously to dry.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:32 pm
I dilute Dr. Bronner's castile oil with water in a spray bottle.

I use a Scotch Brite sponge to wash.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If cabinets are a wood stain with finish, use a splash of Murphy Oil Soap diluted in water. Immerse rag in solution, wring out until just damp. Wash with damp rag and use a soft dry rag simultaneously to dry.

If the wood cabinets have a paint finish, make a soft rag wet with water and wring out until just damp. Set aside. Put just a tiny drop of dishsoap in your palm; spread between both palms of your hands. Rub evenly into damp rag. Wash cabinets with the damp rag and use a soft dry rag simultaneously to dry.

Is it reasonable for me to ask my cleaning lady to clean like this? It bothers me that she just washes everything down with a wet rag and doesn't wipe. Counters, cabinets, walls, floors etc... I feel like the dirt stays on if done like that.
With the floors I insisted she use a dry towel to wipe down after washing because it would feel sticky when walked on after being air dried and had air dry water marks on it. It helped slightly but not much because the floor surface is large and she only dries when she's done washing the entire floor, so most air dried already on its own (too hard to try to re-explain with google transalate that she should wash and dry in sections).

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 3:45 pm
My kitchen walls are semigloss. A spritz of water or a damp shmatte does it for most splatters, and a bit of dish soap gets everything else. Our real issue is that the building is ancient and after a century of sloppy painting and sloppier spackling, surfaces look like a severe case of nodular acne complicated with smallpox and punctuated with the occasional ropy scar from a knife fight. There's no good way to clean all those pits and craters, so every so often, when I can't take it any more, out comes the paintbrush and I paint over the worst spots.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:05 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Is it reasonable for me to ask my cleaning lady to clean like this? It bothers me that she just washes everything down with a wet rag and doesn't wipe. Counters, cabinets, walls, floors etc... I feel like the dirt stays on if done like that.
With the floors I insisted she use a dry towel to wipe down after washing because it would feel sticky when walked on after being air dried and had air dry water marks on it. It helped slightly but not much because the floor surface is large and she only dries when she's done washing the entire floor, so most air dried already on its own (too hard to try to re-explain with google transalate that she should wash and dry in sections).

Very reasonable to ask.

I've worked with ladies who did a great job of this with my direction. And some that were too rough to manage to use such a small amount of soap and wring out the rag enough. So I'm left to do the cabinets myself since I want them to be handled delicately.

About the floors, show your employee to fill just the cap of the Murphy Oil bottle with Murphy, and mix it into a full bucket of water. That's it. More than that makes it sticky.

And then have her squeeze, squeeze out the mop each time she wets it, before using. Damp will get the floors cleaner. Will pick up more dirt. Will not sature the wood. Will not leave stick on the floor.

And yes, drying as you wash is an important step.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 7:33 pm
Ra_mom, I just want to say that you must be the quintessential balabusta in every way and I kind of want to peek into your home Very Happy you’re like the Imamother Martha Stewart.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Ra_mom, I just want to say that you must be the quintessential balabusta in every way and I kind of want to peek into your home Very Happy you’re like the Imamother Martha Stewart.

My home is normal - neat and clean some days, mess others. Smile It doesn't come naturally to me and I worked very hard to figure things out for myself, so I like to share whatever information I have acquired with others.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics