Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The Sukkah and Loss of Privacy
Previous  1  2

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:21 am
I would love something like a one way mirror,
we can hear others, but they can’t hear us.
Totally get you op.

pause

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:25 am
Uch, I hate it! Sukkos is my absolute best YT but for those pesky neighbors....

keym

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:25 am
I actually like the regular family noises. The bickering. The singing.
We've put our foot down on the talking to each other during the meal. That get irritating.
Esti, Esti what are eating?
Schnitzel. You?
Meatballs.
That's annoying

essie14

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:31 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Nah, I actually love hearing all the different families singing zemirot. And whatever else we hear, its just life. Its fine. Nobody is perfect.

Me too!
It's fun to all be outside and sort of together but not.
I love that we keep one wall of our sukkah half open and we can see so many other Sukkot all throughout our neighborhood.
The weather in Israel right now is glorious. We will enjoy our sukkah so much. Unfortunately we wont be enjoying our usual chol hamoed activities Sad

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:37 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
"We are succah number one, number one! Who is number two?" And the neighbors would pick it up and sing "We are succah number two, number two! Who is number three?" And the song would continue all around the block until it came back to the first succah. !

Too cute!

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:37 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Right now it’s raining in Brooklyn.
You might not have your loss of privacy, at least for tonight
im pretty sure the first night you have to wait it out as long as you can....

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:38 am
I love sukkos but we don't eat in the suka except if halachically needed or we want to

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:31 am
I live on a block with single family homes. Our sukkahs are all in our backyards, so there is more privacy. We can hear if a family is being super loud or singing super loud, but not regular conversations, and since it is in the back of our property there is no one random walking by.

What I hate is the unwanted wasps, yellow jackets, bees that visit our sukkah during the meals. Sometimes it is so unbearable we have to go inside!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 4:45 pm
I was thinking about this thread over chag. We heard every single suka that was right near us. We heard plates and silverwear, we heard kidush, we heard zemirot, we heard game playing, we heard life. It was so lovely.
Growing up, where I did, we had non jewish neighbors on bother sides and we didnt hear any of that stuff at all over sukot. Its one of my favorite parts of living in Israel (or at least where I live in Israel).

Studious

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 4:58 pm
Hearing the neighbors in their sukkot made it feel less corona-y. Added some joy.

essie14

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 11:46 pm
Studious wrote:
Hearing the neighbors in their sukkot made it feel less corona-y. Added some joy.

Yes! It almost felt like we were having company which was so nice since we are on lockdown.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:02 am
I was thinking about this over YT a lot. Our closest From neighbour usually goes to his kids for Sukkot, but could not this year due to COVID. We love him but he is very frontal, and provided a running commentary on the 2nd night to our singing conversation Yes

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:18 am
Growing up, we were always the very last to start our seudah and I felt self-conscious about my father making kiddush when people around us were preparing negel vasser.

I also hated that I couldn't join the singing because of kol isha.

Despite all that, Sukkos was still my favorite yomtov.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:19 am
I grew up in Brooklyn and our porch was facing an ally with about 20 other porches. We had so much fun on sukkos! Singing each other's songs, saying amen to brachos, kids screaming to neighbors kids. It made sukkos so interesting and fun.
Now we live on a little dead end in Monsey and we don't really hear the neighbors. I really miss the Brooklyn part of sukkos.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics