Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Anyone else secretly enjoying the no guest business?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:06 am
I’m so relaxed going into succos this year. I usually have sleeping/eating guests for all of it and this year, no guests. And I don’t need to feel guilty about it. No going out or having people in for meals. Anyone else in the same boat? I can’t imagine I’m the only one. For reference I’m in my 30s.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:11 am
We never really have a lot of guests. I'm just too tired and too busy to do that. So, I'm happy that having guests is not expected for the time being.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:11 am
I miss yom tov meals with our families, but I do sort of enjoy having regular Shabbos meals with just us and no pressure to invite anyone or go anywhere.

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:17 am
No. I do enjoy family meals more than I expected but desperately miss my Shabbos social life

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:50 am
I am definitely more relaxed, I just mentioned that to my DH last night.
But I'm not happy. Succos is the only time the whole year we see my in laws, and it's the first time they can't come in 10 years Crying And we usually have one of DHs siblings with kids too. My kids are so upset and I'm depressed at what a boring 10 days we're about to have.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:53 am
We have gone to my son's family for years but now one of the kids has an active case of coronavirus.

rivkam

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:08 am
I'm quite happy that we're home with the kids. Normally we would go to my in laws for part of succot and now with the lockdown, it's not an option. I find the kids alot easier at home. They sleep better and are in their normal routine.

It's hard for my MIL who loves having the family all together

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:11 am
I think my MIL is... my FIL not so much.
I wish she'd at least make believe though, say we'll miss you, check in how YT was, etc.
I call every eruv, and I used to text every motzei but at this point I'm a bit tired of the one way street.

(In her defense, she sent us a dairy package for Shavuos and it was the sweetest thing and the BIGGEST surprise ever. Made a note to do so for my kids/ kids in law if we ever can't spend the holidays together.)

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:36 am
Me! I have more than enough work to do to make YT for my own family. But I’m sad that covid is still around and that it’s causing so much pain to so many people.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:37 am
Yes!

also love stayong home w husband, no in laws house

;-)

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 1:53 am
Not at all! I don't take guest as a burden. I love guest. When we moved, we technically only needed 2 bedrooms, but we opted for a 3 bedroom apt, FOR GUEST! Especially that none of my siblings, neither my parents, nor my in-laws live in my town. Pretty depressing.

Iyh all will be good.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 2:03 am
No! My single adult brother is spending sukkos alone since the rest of the family are in quarantine and he was in yeshivah. Miss newlywed (me) is cooking for him now.

We have a guest room. I wish we could have him over Sad

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 2:05 am
I love that I don’t have to go away for any meals!

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 3:25 am
We usually host lots. 15 or so every couple shabbosim and certainly yt. I always enjoy it as do my kids.
But this enforced break since our Purim seudah for 40 was cancelled has been quite nice....silver lining and all.
We have kids of our own at home BH and we all enjoying just being together.bshort shabbos meals if we want, longer ones if we prefer, a board game before desert, long Friday night shmoozes. Etc

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 3:45 am
Spare a thought for the single women (and men) who see no immediate relief for their desperate loneliness, and may not even be able to eat in a succah this year.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 3:52 am
Yes we are thrilled! We have always gone to relatives as expected of us but because of the lockdown we can't and we're so happy! Making our own sukkah, the kids decorated it. And we can't have guests which we usually do on shabbos when we're home. So there's zero pressure for fancy food, just making nice things that my family likes. And zero pressure for the house to be spotless for guests.
All in all we are very much enjoying bh! Iyh it should be a beautiful yontif for all.

I do feel bad for ppl who are alone or don't enjoy this like I do ( the relative we usually go to is extremely depressed that we're not coming...)

essie14

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 4:00 am
No. I'm hating it. I strike a good balance between hosting and not. When it's too much I dont have guests.
I hate than we can't have singles over who need a place to go.
I hate that we cant share our sukkah with friends.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 4:04 am
I am an introvert to the extreme. But sukot we usually have my entire family sleep over as we have a ginormous suka.
This year, no guests allowed, at least in israel, we made a much smaller suka and I am very very sad.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 5:42 am
I get you, OP!
Is this what it was like over pesach? I was too sick to appreciate anything or really know what was going on. I can’t even imagine all shopping, errands social pressure g-o-n-e.
We are not on lockdown here but people are staying away and being more careful. Guests are not coming to us and many of our neighbors and yes, I feel relieved. The pressure is off. Not completely though... everyone around here is still running around shopping, buying new clothing, decorating their sukkahs and I wonder if all this chaos would be completely out the window if we were on official lockdown.
During the outbreak in March and April I didn’t have any cleaning help. No one had any around here. Over the summer everyone took back their cleaning ladies. I have someone only once a week (Fridays). She just canceled for tomorrow! I’m actually not devastated or panicking because there will be no guests!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 5:43 am
I don't have guests unless it's my mom. My home my rules
The mizvah is abolut poor people not mrs cohen
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics