Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Two week old with multiple infections
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Rappel

Post Sat, Oct 03 2020, 9:01 pm
Poor baby! Refuah sheleimah! I agree that a generalized infection should be checked ASAP. No fever doesn't mean no danger in a newborn. Conversely, fever is very dangerous in a newborn. Having been there, I don't feel like you should wait. You lose nothing except a night's sleep which you're not getting anyway.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 1:11 am
Can also be a mrsa infection. Very dangerous for a newborn.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 3:30 am
I was again at the Dr this morning (I kept a very close eye on him all night and barely slept). He said again that so far he is really not worried and it's not herpes. He also didn't feel the baby needed oral antibiotics, only if it keeps on getting worse ch''v

rivkam

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 3:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was again at the Dr this morning (I kept a very close eye on him all night and barely slept). He said again that so far he is really not worried and it's not herpes. He also didn't feel the baby needed oral antibiotics, only if it keeps on getting worse ch''v

May he have a refuah shleima!

naomi2

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 7:56 pm
Take him to another pediatrician for a second opinion if you don't want to go to the emergency room. This does not sound ok.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 8:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Since he is a little over a week old he seemed in pain. I couldn't figure out if its because of the bris or his belly button was hurting or maybe reflux. Last week a saw a big blister on his hand. We went to the dr and he said his 'bris' is infected and his belly and a wound on his toe and also the blister. We got a cream. Now over j''t he got some new blisters. He also has a rash on his whole body (could be acne). The cream is helping. His toe isnt red his arm is better, though he got a few new ones on the same spot. I made a new appointment for tomorrow morning. Is there anything specific I should ask the dr? Anyone have experience with something like this? What can it be?
Dr said its probably an infection that spread from one place to the next. Why is he getting new once if I'm treating it already Confused What

this is scary. I had a baby with staffilococ that looked like baby acne but spread out everywhere in clusters. We got antibiotic drops for taking in, not a cream.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 8:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the Dr Friday wasn't particularly worried...

I had it really extreme. In the morning I was in the hospital and the doc saw my kid and said don't worry it is baby acne. In the afternoon I diapered him and saw that acne came in clusters and got much more. I just packed him and went to the nearest doctor, turned out it was infection.

Please don't hesitate!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 8:29 pm
My colleague's baby was born with MRSA. It's a chronic condition he has for years. Please go for a second opinion right away.

snowflake1

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:26 pm
How is your baby doing. My baby had MR essay when he was three weeks. It was very good that we caught it when we did. I would have a really good doctor look at my baby at that age. Sometimes a new pair of eyes is important

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:30 pm
OP said she is under the care of a doctor and he prescribed a cream. If it is MRSA, many docs will not rush to prescribe an oral antibiotic for a 2 week old if the cream can do the job. Regardless, OP did not specify what the doctor said or what cream was prescribed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 1:51 am
The Dr thinks it's an infection that spread from one sensitive spot on his body to the next. He wanted to wait with oral antibiotics if possible.
He said that it could possibly be a skin condition ch''v but he doesn't want to get into that yet. One step at a time.
His bris is better, toe also. His belly button is hard to tell and his hand is slightly better. The cream is bactroban

Also I realized yesterday that I didn't disinfect the baby bath I borrowed from my sister. I got it extremely dirty and full of mold. I washed it very well but didn't think of disinfecting it. Now I feel so guilty. Hope I found the cause though

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 2:01 am
If it started with the bris area, I'd be very concerned about herpes. You haven't told us if the mohel did metziza be-peh.

I know the pediatrician is saying reassuring things, but I'd go to the ER or at the very least to Terem, to be seen by another doctor.

I hope you'll be able to post soon that the ER gave you a clean bill of health.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 2:31 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
If it started with the bris area, I'd be very concerned about herpes. You haven't told us if the mohel did metziza be-peh.

I know the pediatrician is saying reassuring things, but I'd go to the ER or at the very least to Terem, to be seen by another doctor.

I hope you'll be able to post soon that the ER gave you a clean bill of health.
the Dr was very sure that it wasn't herpes. I asked him about it. He said 'if I thought it's herpes you would be on the way to the hospital now'
He said herpes looks different.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 2:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the Dr was very sure that it wasn't herpes. I asked him about it. He said 'if I thought it's herpes you would be on the way to the hospital now'

Ok, obviously none of us here has seen it. Hope all is well.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 2:53 am
FYI this sounds like Herpes and your child must go to the ER asap for an infection. Refuah Shalaima.

ETA - I see you wrote the dr said it's not herpes. Regardless any infection in a two week old is serious.

ETA - Herpes can happen even without metzitza bapeh. A very close relatives child (who did have mbp) got herpes but it was traced to someone who diapered him and the mohel was 100% clear. Babies rarely get herpes sores near the genital area (said our dr) and instead get pimple looking sores in random locations (this baby had two on his leg/foot).

Refuah Shalaima.

tweety1

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 3:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My pediatrician showed me on his computer what herpes looked like when my newborn had a rash and I was positive it's herpes. He compared the pictures to the pimples my baby had. Herpes is like a canker sore but not only in the mouth. Its not leveled with the skin. Sort of like a tiny ulcer. Hope this info helped.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 3:44 am
tweety1 wrote:
My pediatrician showed me on his computer what herpes looked like when my newborn had a rash and I was positive it's herpes. He compared the pictures to the pimples my baby had. Herpes is like a canker sore but not only in the mouth. Its not leveled with the skin. Sort of like a tiny ulcer. Hope this info helped.
he got very big blisters one was a cm big

banana123

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 5:46 am
OP, you don't sound like you're as unconcerned as the doctor seems to be. Why is that?

If you trust the doctor, you should feel reassured. If your gut is still nagging you, then you obviously don't feel that the doctor is accurately diagnosing and treating your baby, and you need to get a second opinion.

banana123

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 5:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's good to know. But then, what is it?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 6:13 am
banana123 wrote:
OP, you don't sound like you're as unconcerned as the doctor seems to be. Why is that?

If you trust the doctor, you should feel reassured. If your gut is still nagging you, then you obviously don't feel that the doctor is accurately diagnosing and treating your baby, and you need to get a second opinion.

you are right. I'm concerned (was concerned) but not in a way that I felt that it was an emergency. He is so small and something wasn't right, the Dr didn't give me any clear answers so I was hoping to get more ideas here.
When I first saw it I called hatzole, they weren't concerned. Basically everyone we asked (terem on the phone and Dr) said it's not an emergency if baby doesn't have fever and is reacting normal.

Yesterday I went again to the Dr and he was again vague about what it is, 'an infection that spread' but after seeing that I wasn't happy with the answer, he said that some skin condition can cause such blisters but he doesn't want to jump to any conclusion so soon (I think he didn't want to cause unnecessary stress)
I guess many people would be happy when the Dr says it's okay, just something that happened. But I'm not like that and I need and want to understand what's going on.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics