Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
The younger boy is bar mitzva first

middy

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:24 am
this is from daily halacha, isn't that cool?!
294. If two boys were born in a year with two months of Adar, and one was born on the 29th of Adar I, and the other was born on the 1st of Adar II; if in the year of their Bar Mitzvah there is only one Adar, the younger child will be Bar Mitzvah four weeks before the older child.

Shulchan Aruch w/Mishna Brurah 55:10, S'V Chasan Sofer 99

Bzgirl

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:33 am
that is cool! Smile but since it won't happen to brothers---no one ever notices; I guess

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:35 am
Hey, it could happen with twins!

shopaholic

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:59 am
My sister was born in a leap year. She is tes adar 2 & a girl in her class was later on in the month (chof something) in adar 1. Some years my sister would have her birthday first, but in a leap year, this girl had her birthday first.

Zus

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 5:30 pm
It happened to my uncle. He had a friend who was older and couldn't stand it that my uncle was Bar Mitzvah before him! LOL

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:29 pm
mummy-bh wrote:

how? Confused

su7kids

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:
mummy-bh wrote:

how? Confused

If it is a vaginal birth and it takes an hour or so for the 2nd twin to be delivered.

The first one is born before Shekia and the second one after, on Erev/Rosh Chodesh Adar I. (I believe it is)

foreverhappy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:41 pm
delete

Last edited by foreverhappy on Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zus

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 4:35 am
su7kids wrote:

If it is a vaginal birth and it takes an hour or so for the 2nd twin to be delivered.

The first one is born before Shekia and the second one after, on Erev/Rosh Chodesh Adar I. (I believe it is)

I know a (non jewish) set of twins that was born in different years! The first twin was born 11.55 pm on December 31st, the second twin was born 12.05 am January 1st!

Barbara

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 12:31 pm
middy wrote:
this is from daily halacha, isn't that cool?!
294. If two boys were born in a year with two months of Adar, and one was born on the 29th of Adar I, and the other was born on the 1st of Adar II; if in the year of their Bar Mitzvah there is only one Adar, the younger child will be Bar Mitzvah four weeks before the older child.

Shulchan Aruch w/Mishna Brurah 55:10, S'V Chasan Sofer 99

That's pretty much my son and his closest friend (although its 24 Adar I and 2 Adar II. My son isn't amused.

louche

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 1:21 pm
Barbara wrote:

That's pretty much my son and his closest friend (although its 24 Adar I and 2 Adar II. My son isn't amused.

Maybe not, but I am! Vastly.

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 4:50 pm
yup for my adar alef sonny boy Wink

and I too thought of the twins before & after shekiah ...

frayda

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 12:25 pm
su7kids wrote:
amother wrote:
mummy-bh wrote:

how? Confused

It couldn't really happen - since the halacha only applies if the first one was born on the 29th of Adar I. Since Adar I always has 30 days, if he was born on the 30th of Adar I his birthday would fall out on the 30th of Shevat on years when there is no leap year. It's not very often that twins would be born a full day apart! (one on the 29th, the second on the 1st)

miriamnechama

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 3:08 pm
my mil once went to a twin bris that were a day apart.. one was born before shkia and the other after....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics