Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is it fair to say the virus is losing strength?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:23 am
I posted this around 2 weeks ago. I pointed out that many European countries such as France, Spain, and Italy have been getting huge numbers of infections (higher than in the first wave back in March) yet deaths are way down comparatively.
We've been having the 2nd wave in the bklyn/lakewood area for awhile. Supposedly these zip codes are enormous hotspots for infection. Yet boruch hashem I haven't heard of a single death from the virus in the last few weeks. I know 1 person in their 70's who was hospitalized. I've asked others in my area and they say the same thing.

Even if you know of a person who has nebach passed away it still seems to have dramatically lessened from the first wave when we had people dying daily. Thoughts?

banana123

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:31 am
I'm trying to find the article, but in the meantime, from what I've seen doctors are saying that this is hitting younger people, faster and harder than the first wave hit. So you have more younger people in serious condition and on ventilators, and more younger people are likely to die in the coming weeks.

Last edited by banana123 on Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:34 am
according to doctors in NY, it didn't change. What changed is that young healthy people are getting sick who are able to fight civil better. Also, Dr's now know more ways to treat preventing patients from getting so sick

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:37 am
No, it’s not fair to say the virus is losing strength. It’s 2020, and doctors are able to sequence the genome and see exactly what strain is prevalent. Turns out, it’s exactly the same one that hit NY in March. What is different is we now have been able to test and track far more cases (artificially lowering the mortality rate) including earlier cases and are able to see/detect the growth curve early on in an outbreak. Everybody knows far more people were infected in the first wave than were tested, as tests were nearly impossible to come by.

Another reason is that most of the new cases had been younger low risk people, who drive the original spread in all outbreaks, and have a relatively low mortality rate. That changes when it is so prevalent that it reaches even the old and high risk who are being careful.

Lastly, in locations that hospitals aren’t currently overwhelmed and understaffed patients are obviously receiving better care, and there is a lot more knowledge of how to properly treat patients (though there is no actual cure).

You don’t know people who’ve died recently? Bully for you. At least 3 people in Lakewood have died in the last week (Blumberg, Harrari, and Grama) and several more from Brooklyn. There are many patients in the hospital and a few dozen frum people on vents in the tri-State area.

The virus is the same, and must be treated the same. Please don’t post misinformation which causes innocent people to believe this and act differently based on that knowledge. You are playing with people’s lives. Literally.

Mothers

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I posted this around 2 weeks ago. I pointed out that many European countries such as France, Spain, and Italy have been getting huge numbers of infections (higher than in the first wave back in March) yet deaths are way down comparatively.
We've been having the 2nd wave in the bklyn/lakewood area for awhile. Supposedly these zip codes are enormous hotspots for infection. Yet boruch hashem I haven't heard of a single death from the virus in the last few weeks. I know 1 person in their 70's who was hospitalized. I've asked others in my area and they say the same thing.

Even if you know of a person who has nebach passed away it still seems to have dramatically lessened from the first wave when we had people dying daily. Thoughts?

Just want to point out that this is not the 2nd wave. This is still the 1st wave. Unfortunately, the 2nd wave is expected towards the end of this (calendar year) and it is expected to get much worse. Everyone please continue (or start) davening and hishtadlus.

banana123

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:47 am
Mothers wrote:
Just want to point out that this is not the 2nd wave. This is still the 1st wave. Unfortunately, the 2nd wave is expected towards the end of this (calendar year) and it is expected to get much worse. Everyone please continue (or start) davening and hishtadlus.

And the more people gather, the greater the chance that this will mutate and become much more dangerous. Mad

Success10

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:53 am
Mothers wrote:
Just want to point out that this is not the 2nd wave. This is still the 1st wave. Unfortunately, the 2nd wave is expected towards the end of this (calendar year) and it is expected to get much worse.

This is not the first time I'm seeing this. Why is this not the 2nd wave? I don't really understand the science of diseases so I'm not understanding the terminology.

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it fair to say the virus is losing strength?

No. It could well be that the drop in fatalities by registered cases is due only to the fact that more cases of the overall cases are registered, hence a bigger denominator, hence an apparently lower fatality rate...

Maybe it might be justified to say that you cannot really compare case numbers from March/April to case numbers registered now, that you would have to divide present figures by a certain factor to render them comparable...

But we don't have yet any indication that the virus lost strength...

sneakermom

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 9:36 am
In March many many people over fifty that got it were dead in two weeks. Some in a week. Hatzalah was busy non stop. Chevra kedusha was running ragged from exhaustion.

That’s not happening this time around. Not to that extreme.

This is based on my observation in the Brooklyn, and tri-state area. Not on any media hype.

What happens next I can’t tell you. I’m praying. May Hashem free us from this virus and from this galus.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
No, it’s not fair to say the virus is losing strength. It’s 2020, and doctors are able to sequence the genome and see exactly what strain is prevalent. Turns out, it’s exactly the same one that hit NY in March. What is different is we now have been able to test and track far more cases (artificially lowering the mortality rate) including earlier cases and are able to see/detect the growth curve early on in an outbreak. Everybody knows far more people were infected in the first wave than were tested, as tests were nearly impossible to come by.

Another reason is that most of the new cases had been younger low risk people, who drive the original spread in all outbreaks, and have a relatively low mortality rate. That changes when it is so prevalent that it reaches even the old and high risk who are being careful.

Lastly, in locations that hospitals aren’t currently overwhelmed and understaffed patients are obviously receiving better care, and there is a lot more knowledge of how to properly treat patients (though there is no actual cure).

You don’t know people who’ve died recently? Bully for you. At least 3 people in Lakewood have died in the last week (Blumberg, Harrari, and Grama) and several more from Brooklyn. There are many patients in the hospital and a few dozen frum people on vents in the tri-State area.

The virus is the same, and must be treated the same. Please don’t post misinformation which causes innocent people to believe this and act differently based on that knowledge. You are playing with people’s lives. Literally.

Sorry to detail but which grama? I didn’t hear that and we were neighbors years ago...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 9:57 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
according to doctors in NY, it didn't change. What changed is that young healthy people are getting sick who are able to fight civil better. Also, Dr's now know more ways to treat preventing patients from getting so sick

Well if the doctors know how to treat the virus better and as a result people are getting less sick then the virus is less dangerous.

If I tell you that strep throat is just as severe as it was 200 years ago when people would die from it. Technically it's true, it is just as severe. But since we can treat it better, it's not as dangerous. If we can confidently say that doctors have better treatments for Covid, than Covid is less dangerous.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:05 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
No. It could well be that the drop in fatalities by registered cases is due only to the fact that more cases of the overall cases are registered, hence a bigger denominator, hence an apparently lower fatality rate...

Maybe it might be justified to say that you cannot really compare case numbers from March/April to case numbers registered now, that you would have to divide present figures by a certain factor to render them comparable...

But we don't have yet any indication that the virus lost strength...

I'm talking about the numerator. Even if we take older people out of the equation, are healthy people under 50 getting sick and hospitalized at the same rate as 6 months ago? Obviously older people are very vulnerable. What about people under 50, which is the majority of the population?

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:06 am
The virus is not weaker. The first wave felled the weaker sectors of society—the aged and infirm. The strong survived, the weak didn’t. Now that that most of the weak have been killed off, most victims are younger and stronger and better able to fight. . Also, some people have had mild incremental exposures and have developed some measure of antibodies, so they, too, are better able to fight. If all the people who were staying indoors all this time were to leave home, they would be felled in exactly the same way.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:07 am
Depends who you ask.
On this site, along with our politicians, people are holding onto Covid as the most dangerous thing currently.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:08 am
I think there's no indication from any medical professionals that it's weaker. Also, we are testing way more, including people and cases where we'd have just assumed it was a random cold/flu before, or we weren't testing due to limited testing availability to keep them available for when people needed advanced medical care.

I agree with the posters above that there really aren't apples to apples to compare just looking at raw numbers in order to draw some conclusion about its strength now vs. then.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:17 am
zaq wrote:
The virus is not weaker. The first wave felled the weaker sectors of society—the aged and infirm. The strong survived, the weak didn’t. Now that that most of the weak have been killed off, most victims are younger and stronger and better able to fight. . Also, some people have had mild incremental exposures and have developed some measure of antibodies, so they, too, are better able to fight. If all the people who were staying indoors all this time were to leave home, they would be felled in exactly the same way.

I hear what you’re saying. But honestly many if not most older people In Brooklyn who were staying indoors came out by mid summer. And are still out and about. And the virus has not killed them. If they contract it most are able to fight it without hospitalization.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:20 am
My uncle died this past week (Brooklyn). Yes he had preexisting conditions. But it killed him. We are so broken.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:40 am
sneakermom wrote:
In March many many people over fifty that got it were dead in two weeks. Some in a week. Hatzalah was busy non stop. Chevra kedusha was running ragged from exhaustion.

That’s not happening this time around. Not to that extreme.

This is based on my observation in the Brooklyn, and tri-state area. Not on any media hype.

What happens next I can’t tell you. I’m praying. May Hashem free us from this virus and from this galus.

This is a common lie that’s often repeated. How many people over 50 had it at the peak in our communities? 20,000? How many over 50 have it now so far? 500?

How are you not able to realize that this is a simple math equation?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:41 am
sneakermom wrote:
I hear what you’re saying. But honestly many if not most older people In Brooklyn who were staying indoors came out by mid summer. And are still out and about. And the virus has not killed them. If they contract it most are able to fight it without hospitalization.

Again, NUMBERS. They are a wonderful thing. Would you say the same amount of people are infected as were in March?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm talking about the numerator. Even if we take older people out of the equation, are healthy people under 50 getting sick and hospitalized at the same rate as 6 months ago? Obviously older people are very vulnerable. What about people under 50, which is the majority of the population?

Yes, they are. What makes you think they aren’t? When 50,000 people under 50 get sick, hundreds will get hospitalized. When 5,000 under 50 get sick, dozens will get hospitalized. Let’s keep it at 5,000 this time around. Because we obviously were too stupid to keep it at 50 and 500 when we had the opportunities like EVERYBODY ELSE IN NY HAS BEEN MANAGING TO DO.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics