Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Smoked Cinnamon Eggplant P’titim

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 11:17 am
This was a nice side dish and combined grains and veggies so went well with my chicken.

As noted in the ingredient list, I used Japanese eggplant which doesn't have to be salted to remove bitter flavor and is also more tender.

Smoked Cinnamon Eggplant P’titim

Excerpt From: Mills, Molly. “Sababa Secrets and Israel's Best Recipes: Recipe Excerpts from the Sababa Cookbook and More

The Israelis have their own take on the healthy grain couscous, and they call it P’titim. It makes for a classic meal, especially for kids during an afternoon snack. It’s their answer to America’s Baked Mac N’ Cheese, and why not? It’s easy to cook and turns creatively into a delicious dish, the perfect alternative to rice. This recipe will prove that straight.

Serving Size: 4

Prep Time: 45 mins

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups p’titim
2 cups eggplant, cubed - I used the more tender Japanese eggplant. If I used standard Italian eggplant I would peel and then salt get rid of any bitter taste. Don’t forget to wash off thoroughly if you do because I once forgot to rinse and ruined a dish
3 tomatoes, chopped - I used three large tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 ½ tbsp tomato paste
1 ½ cups water
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp smoked paprika - this is a wonderful spice to have in the house as it adds a very distinctive flavor
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 ¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

1. Toast p’titim in a skillet over medium fire, stirring frequently. Remove to a plate and set aside.

2. In the same skillet, add oil and sauté the onions and eggplant. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

3. Add garlic and let cook for another minute.

4. Stir in tomato paste, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, and cayenne. Add more salt and pepper as needed.

5. Add tomatoes and water into the pan and stir.

6. Put the toasted p’titim and let it simmer, covered with a tight lid, until the liquid is completely absorbed.

7. Turn off the fire and remove the lid, let the dish rest for 2 minutes.

8. Stir in paprika and parsley, then, serve immediately.

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:00 pm
Holy guacamole, that looks amazing!

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:04 pm
Rappel wrote:
Holy guacamole, that looks amazing!

It was really good and pretty easy to make. It’s just adding a few ingredients. The preparation is like for a rice pilaf dish - browning the grain ; sautéing the onions and veggies; adding the liquid and then just cooking until rice or in this case couscous is done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes