Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O What are possible services in IEP For...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 11:30 am
What are the possible services in an IEP For anxiety and selective mutism

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 11:39 am
What age?

Mothers

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 12:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What are the possible services in an IEP For anxiety and selective mutism

Depends on how severe the anxiety is and how it is affecting the child. Individual and group. counseling would be a start.

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 1:12 pm
Speech therapists and OTs can also work with anxiety and emotion regulation. A speech therapist can also work target the selective mutism.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 1:14 pm
Age 4 (but cse, 5 before January).

Level- doesn't want to speak to certain teacher or adult friends. For example, that his tummy hurts, that he didn’t get a treat, that he wants something. At friends I see he sometimes depends on body language or the adult guessing what he wants. Also a bit quit around a peer that is very strong/confident/mature. When comfortable at home he can communicate effectively.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 1:20 pm
number one is counseling.

Also small group/1 on 1 help as often as possible.

See if you can get a para, may or may not work.

Breaks as needed.

Accommodations- submitting work in written instead of spoken. Extended time. Visual cues for her to point to.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 2:03 pm
Hm. If he were a little younger, SEIT would be appropriate and helpful. At CSE there's less you can do. If it is impacting his participation in class/school then you can request counseling for the anxiety. I'm not sure if what you're describing actually meets the description of selective mutism. But if the child is also having a hard time expressing his needs you can request speech therapy for pragmatic communication.

Mothers

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 2:35 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Breaks as needed.

Accommodations- submitting work in written instead of spoken. Extended time. Visual cues for her to point to.

How would a para help in this case? Having a para can be counterproductive, as it can foster dependence and over reliance on an adult, rather than encouraging him to increase his communication skills in situations where he is less than comfortable. It will also single him out as different with possible negative social repercussions. (As an aside, the DOE generally provides paras only for significant medical needs or severe acting-out behaviors.)

In addition to counseling; both individual (to work on the anxiety and coping skills) and small group (to work on the social skills) you might want to work with a behavioral therapist to help you develop strategies, which will increase his comfort level and encourage pro social behaviors in situations he finds stressful. (That would probably have to be private, rather than DOE, but could be of limited duration/sessions).

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 2:49 pm
You could also request that some of the speech/counseling hours be indirect, which would mean that they are spending some of the time consulting with the teachers on how to address his needs within the classroom, rather than working with the child 1:1. With anxiety/selective mutism, making the classroom comfortable is a huge component and direct therapy isn't always the answer.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Breaks as needed.

I’m no expert, but I think this would handicap a child for life. I’ve seen adults with SM and they took a route similar to what you are suggesting

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:49 pm
If you go down to the treatment and service delivery section, ASHS has some information about some support for students with SM: https://www.asha.org/PRPSpecif.....tment

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:15 am
How much time would be good for services to address social/emotional regulation /anxiety/ and SM:

Seit/setss direct (to child )indirect to the teacher: 10hrs a week
Setss direct (To child) & indirect (to parent) at home: 5 hrs a week
Counseling/therapy (are there cbt therapist from DOE?): 2 hrs a week?
Speech (for speech delay and sm) 3 hrs a week?
OT (for sensory integration) : 3 hrs a week?

If I could choose, I would only have services at school that are necessary.
Please tell me the most that is possible for a child to receive, and/or tell me your opinion of the proper amount of time to minimize being pulled out of class , singled out, or other negative side effects.

Can counseling be serviced at home
Can speech be serviced at home?
What is the difference between SEIT and SETSS?

Note the cpse administrator suggested an integrated class, but I think that may be overkill, unnecessary , and could have more negative side effects since dc is “functioning” with current teacher/ classroom but didn’t function well with 2 out of three teachers/classrooms this past year due to anxiety /SM. I am Concerned there is a risk of regression with a new teacher/class.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:57 am
I'm an OT. 3 hours a week is excessive and unrealistic. My intense cases in a mainstream school are 3 times a week for 30 minutes. Only a child with a significant diagnosis would get 3 hours a week.

It would be a waste of your child's class time, and would not get approved. There are other services that would be more helpful to be used during that time. At most, in NYC, your child may get approved for 2x30 (twice a week for 30 minutes) as that is basically the default mandate.

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 12:12 pm
You're asking for 15 hours of setss? How delayed is your child? Its not really realistic. The only time I've seen that amount of setss is if they really think you should place your child in a special ed setting and you don't. Seit is from ages 3-5. Five and above is setss. What you are asking for is not reasonable and the DOE is going to jump on you and say look, if your kid needs that much, then you should be placing in a special ed setting. These are my opinions. Not fact. The DOE usually does not give in a regular ed setting more than 2x30 for speech and 2x30 for OT. Sometimes 3x30 but not often and certainly not for both!

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 12:15 pm
A session for speech, OT, counseling are measured in half hours.usually.

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 12:22 pm
I got confused between this thread and original. My posts still stand though. This would fall under a speech and language impairment. I not sure they will give you setss unless you can prove that your child has fallen behind due to the impairment. You will probably get speech and counseling. Everything else is up to how well you present your case. And the DOE administrator.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How much time would be good for services to address social/emotional regulation /anxiety/ and SM:

Seit/setss direct (to child )indirect to the teacher: 10hrs a week
Setss direct (To child) & indirect (to parent) at home: 5 hrs a week
Counseling/therapy (are there cbt therapist from DOE?): 2 hrs a week?
Speech (for speech delay and sm) 3 hrs a week?
OT (for sensory integration) : 3 hrs a week?

If I could choose, I would only have services at school that are necessary.
Please tell me the most that is possible for a child to receive, and/or tell me your opinion of the proper amount of time to minimize being pulled out of class , singled out, or other negative side effects.

Can counseling be serviced at home
Can speech be serviced at home?
What is the difference between SEIT and SETSS?

Note the cpse administrator suggested an integrated class, but I think that may be overkill, unnecessary , and could have more negative side effects since dc is “functioning” with current teacher/ classroom but didn’t function well with 2 out of three teachers/classrooms this past year due to anxiety /SM. I am Concerned there is a risk of regression with a new teacher/class.

This is completely unrealistic unless you get a public school / special Ed placement and work from there .

Do you have an advocate or lawyer? Do you feel like your child really needs all the services that you mentioned in this post? If so, it may be worthwhile to get an advocate or work though an agency.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 1:03 pm
thanks for the feedback, my suggestions were sort of blind based on my limited knowledge to get feedback of what is realistic. is this more realistic?

Seit/setss direct (to child )indirect to the teacher: 5 a week ?
Setss direct (To child) & indirect (to parent) at home: 5 hrs a week ?
Counseling/therapy (are there cbt therapist from DOE?): 30 min 1x per week?
Speech (for speech delay and sm) 39 mins 2x per week?
OT (for sensory integration) : 30 min 2x per week?

what are the chances they would approve speech and conseling at home or is it better to have these services in school?

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 1:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks for the feedback, my suggestions were sort of blind based on my limited knowledge to get feedback of what is realistic. is this more realistic?

what are the chances they would approve speech and conseling at home or is it better to have these services in school?

It’s very rare to get 10 hours of SETTS , but it all depends on who your administrator is .
Counseling and speech are often RSA- you can do it wherever you’d like .

Mothers

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 2:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

How delayed is your child academically??? School based services - unlike EI and preschool - are based upon academic need. If your child is just anxious and selectively mute but has no cognitive and academic delays, I don’t see why he would get more than individual and small group counseling (and possibly speech for pragmatics). SETSS is an academic support by a special education teacher - to support academic achievement. Why do you think it should be given at home, in addition to at school? Again, just how academically delayed is your child? Is there another diagnosis of which we are unaware?

Bottom line - private school students are not supposed to be getting more than public school students, and your proposal is way out-of-line with anything, which would be offered in a public school setting. In addition, nothing (which you have revealed here) makes the case for such intensive level of services.

With regard to services at home- same as public school students - private school students are supposed to get their related services at school. (It’s to support academic achievement at school.). To that end, there are agencies, which have contracts with the city to service specific private schools. Your child will receive services from a provider from the agency assigned to his school - unless the agency says they cannot service him and releases him from their contract. Then it would go to a secondary and/or tertiary agency (and so on down the line). It would take about 15 agencies to all say they cannot provide the services, before you could get an RSA for an outside provider.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics