Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
S/O Menachem - Ideas for legal name for birth certificate
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 5:07 pm
Not the op from the Menachem nickname thread, but also using the name.

My husband and I want to put a different name on the birth certificate as Menachem is hard to pronounce. Any ideas for the legal name?

I'd like it to start with an M and not be too outlandish if it is a secular name. I don't mind using an easy to pronounce "Jewish" name (eg Meir, we need to keep that name around to use for real in future though). Really don't want to use Mendel but may end up there.

Thank you! Time sensitive as need to fill out birth certificate!!!

PS still trying to find a nickname! But that may be for the other thread.....

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 5:09 pm
Max

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 5:09 pm
I know a Menachem that uses Max as his legal name

I see we cross posted.😀

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 5:15 pm
Michael

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 5:23 pm
Mendy?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 5:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not the op from the Menachem nickname thread, but also using the name.

My husband and I want to put a different name on the birth certificate as Menachem is hard to pronounce. Any ideas for the legal name?

I'd like it to start with an M and not be too outlandish if it is a secular name. I don't mind using an easy to pronounce "Jewish" name (eg Meir, we need to keep that name around to use for real in future though). Really don't want to use Mendel but may end up there.

Thank you! Time sensitive as need to fill out birth certificate!!!

PS still trying to find a nickname! But that may be for the other thread.....

Miles. Mark. Michael. Marshall.

I don't like Melvin or Mervin, but they're both "Me---"

And hey, big mazel tov there!

Rosie89

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 5:38 pm
Max and Mark are both common “M” names. I personally don’t like using a name that translates to a different Hebrew name because it’s confusing. For example, if you name him Michael, people would assume his Hebrew name is Michoel, not Menachem.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 6:00 pm
Mannie
Manaem

littleprincess

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 6:09 pm
My great grandfathers name was menachem and his legal name was Max.
A lot of people called him Max

CatLady

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 6:12 pm
Miles is a popular name these days. It doesn't have an "automatic translation" to Hebrew. So it's a safe bet.

And M is also the initial of MAZEL TOV!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 6:39 pm
Milo
Maddox
Max or Maxximus or Maximilian or Maxwell
Martin
Marshall
Mendel works nicely in English
Matthew or Matt or Matteo
Mark, Marc
Morris, Maurice
Marshall
Mitchell

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 7:30 pm
Manuel

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 7:38 pm
We did Mendy and call him Mendy too

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:15 pm
Menny

yksraya

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:24 pm
My son is Menachem on his legal documents.
Maybe Mendel if you like.
Nachy

dorothy1

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:31 pm
Malcolm is gaining in popularity , and has the M ending as well

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:00 am
Thank you everyone for your ideas! They really helped get me moving on this.
(I apologise in advance for the long post, I'm working my thoughts out).

Right now the top two are Mattis and Mendel (still in running, I really don't like but it goes w Menachem). From our discussions the past day, I see my husband and I are preferring Jewish sounding names - Mattis could be pronounced to sound like a yiddish nickname for Mordechai. As someone who has a completely random English name chosen because my parents liked it, I appreciate that as I always feel weird and out of sorts being called by my English name. This, even though I've been using it for years at work at this point.

I found Mattis while researching the suggested names to make sure I was ok with their meanings and origins. Strangely, Mattis and it's different spellings are ranked very high on ChaliesNames for USA in 2019 and 2020 - website came up first on my Google search. But I take that popularity with a grain of salt as very low ranked other places. So is it too out there and strange for the wider velt?
https://charlies-names.com/en/.....2020/

I also really like Miles and Milo (thanks for the suggestions!) which also are "trending" in 2020. They can mean merciful which is in the same ballpark as "comfort", but a stretch. My husband nixed as he thinks they are strange and does not believe me that they are "in". If we are going completely secular he wants it to be normal. He would go for Max over these. I feel Max is old fashioned.

Oh my. I am totally overthinking this!! I blame my new mommy brain! My other kids legal names were so easy.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:21 am
Emmanuel

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone for your ideas! They really helped get me moving on this.
(I apologise in advance for the long post, I'm working my thoughts out).

Right now the top two are Mattis and Mendel (still in running, I really don't like but it goes w Menachem). From our discussions the past day, I see my husband and I are preferring Jewish sounding names - Mattis could be pronounced to sound like a yiddish nickname for Mordechai. As someone who has a completely random English name chosen because my parents liked it, I appreciate that as I always feel weird and out of sorts being called by my English name. This, even though I've been using it for years at work at this point.

I found Mattis while researching the suggested names to make sure I was ok with their meanings and origins. Strangely, Mattis and it's different spellings are ranked very high on ChaliesNames for USA in 2019 and 2020 - website came up first on my Google search. But I take that popularity with a grain of salt as very low ranked other places. So is it too out there and strange for the wider velt?
https://charlies-names.com/en/.....2020/

I also really like Miles and Milo (thanks for the suggestions!) which also are "trending" in 2020. They can mean merciful which is in the same ballpark as "comfort", but a stretch. My husband nixed as he thinks they are strange and does not believe me that they are "in". If we are going completely secular he wants it to be normal. He would go for Max over these. I feel Max is old fashioned.

Oh my. I am totally overthinking this!! I blame my new mommy brain! My other kids legal names were so easy.

I'd go with Jewish sounding names too. Jewish pride...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:15 am
Noticed I wrote that Mattis is nickname for Mordechai, that's a typo, it's a nickname for Mattisyahu.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names