Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/O Vegan Diet, what are your Breakfast/Lunch/Supper Meals?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 1:53 pm
This is a S/O of thread about tools used for Vegan Diet.

Im considering it.

Id like to know what are your most common Breakfast/Lunch/Supper Meals, the easier the better?

Also, what were the main reasons that made you want to go Vegan?

But mainly I want easy and delish Breakfast/Lunch/Supper ideas.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 1:58 pm
Being fully vegan isn't "easy" or "delish" right away. I recommend starting off vegetarian, and taking it from there.
It's very hard to meal plan and prep a fully different diet when you're not used to it.

flmommy

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 2:00 pm
If for health reason be plant based but have the flexibility of eating meat for Shabbos at a simcha etc

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 3:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a S/O of thread about tools used for Vegan Diet.

Im considering it.

Id like to know what are your most common Breakfast/Lunch/Supper Meals, the easier the better?

Also, what were the main reasons that made you want to go Vegan?

But mainly I want easy and delish Breakfast/Lunch/Supper ideas.

Sure. I went vegetarian for animal welfare and environmental reasons fifteen years ago. Five years ago, I went vegan for the same reasons. My DH isn't vegetarian or vegan but happily eats everything I cook and has for years. He'll still eat meat when we're out or with family. I don't crave or miss meat at all.

IMHO it's easier than ever to be vegan now - so many interesting products out there, and tons of good cookbooks, blogs, etc. I recommend Isa Moskowitz's cookbooks to everyone I meet. She has a new one out called "I Can Cook Vegan" which is aimed at newer vegans. Her "Isa Does It" cookbook is probably my most used cookbook - quick and easy recipes I can generally make out of stuff in my pantry. Vegan Richa's online blog is also great.

Here are some typical meals:

Breakfast: toast with hummus, toast with avocado, oatmeal, scrambled tofu with veggies, fruit, pancakes, muffins, bagels, waffles, French toast, cereal w/almond milk

Lunch: since working from home started, lunch is usually leftovers from last night's dinner. LOL When I worked in an office, I would usually bring a cup of soup, small salad, maybe some crackers. Sometimes a sandwich of whatever vegetables were in the fridge + mustard + something fatty or with protein (vegan mayo, veggie burgers, falafel, a few slices of the seasoned baked tofu you can get at the grocery store).

Dinner: this varies a lot! Lately I've been on a taco kick, which is convenient since everything can be turned into a taco. LOL Also pasta (I made a great creamy sauce from roasted squash + pureed cashews last week), pizza, stir fries, curries, veggie burgers, pot pies or other casseroles.

Sweets: yes please! Cookies, cake, pie, brownies are all easily veganizable.

hello321

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 11:32 pm
Im interested too
Please share recipes for pancakes, muffins

Teomima

Post Thu, Oct 08 2020, 2:19 am
I'm not vegan, but I've been a vegetarian most of my life and much of what I make just happens to be vegan.

It's really not hard. My biggest tips are 1: get out of the mind frame that a meal needs a "main dish". A selection of delicious vegan "side dishes" is a perfectly wonderful meal and 2: don't try to always replace meat. You don't need to eat lots of meat alternatives, or work tofu into every meal, or even go overboard worrying about your protein. That in mind, legumes are your friend.

My favorite easy breakfasts and lunches are burritos/wraps. For a breakfast burrito I love some sauteed tomatoes and greens, diced pan fried potatoes, black beans, avocado, and if you want, vegan cheese. For a good lunch, rice and beans plus broccoli, carrots, and some teriyaki sauce.

Overall, "ethnic" foods are great choices: Indian curries (my go-to is cauliflower, onions, tomatoes, tofu and potatoes, cooked in coconut cream with lots of curry powder and tumeric. Best served with brown rice), Asian stir fries (I make a basic brown sauce with fresh garlic and ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, and water, served over noodles and/or sauteed veggies), Mediterranean-style dishes (I often make a Greek-inspired dish of pan fried onions, chickpeas, spinach, tomato, with lots of cumin and lemon), or most anything Italian (cheeseless pizza, made with lots of vegetables and tomato sauce, is actually really good, though you can just use vegan cheese if you prefer. Also pasta, as long as the noodles are made without eggs). Bean-rich dishes like vegetarian chili and chollent are great easy crock pot dishes. As winter is approaching (unless you're in Australia, I guess), rich and filling vegetable soups are perfect options.

Hope this helps!

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 08 2020, 3:56 am
went vegan for health reasons.
anyways, now a days it is super easy to be vegan. in local supermarkets you can find tons of meat replacements & plenty of cheese replacements, even egg replacements.

for recipes, you can checkout youtube.....tons of fun!

hello321

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 9:27 pm
Ok so this all sounds great
How do we start the kids on this meal plan when they are used to the SAD ( standard American diet)

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 10:34 pm
Vegetarian here. I agree with Teomima that meals don't need a main dish.

Here's an easy one-
Using a bag of frozen vegetables (eg B'gan Capri mix).
Pour olive oil, garlic powder and onion powder in a 1 gallon plastic bag. Add vegetables and shake. Spread vegetables on a pan. Cover lightly with bread crumbs. Roast.
The vegetables have this natural sweetness that makes you wonder why you would ever eat unhealthy food again.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 10:54 pm
I cook mostly vegetarian, and many of the suppers I make are vegan. My family likes:

Lentil soup, salad, Ezekiel toast
Quinoa bowl with sauteed veggies, chickpeas, and fresh veggies
Burrito bowl (brown rice, red bean chili, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce)

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 12:07 am
Breakfast you can have: fruit, vegan yogurt, oatmeal, toast with guacamole, hummus,tofutti cream cheese

Lunch and dinner: Rice and lentil curry, mejadra, veggie patties,baked potatoes and vegan sour cream, vegan pad thai, vegan hot dog or burger

You can get any recipe you have and substitute for vegan ingredients, you don't need to even change what you usually eat, really
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen