Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Hawaiij-Braised Short Ribs

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:21 am
I wanted to make this for a while but I had to locate Hawaiij.

When I first read the recipe I thought it said Hawaii and I was looking for "Hawaiian" flavors like pineapple. LOL

I thought this was very good. I generally follow recipes as written the first time so I have a sense of what the recipe is really going to taste like so I did use mashed kohlrabi. I like turnips and parsnips so I was fine with this. The mashed kohlrabi is essentially just a base for the juices so any mash would work - potatoes or whatever. I might use "smashed" Yukon gold potatoes if I make it again.

This is not a difficult recipe. It really is just a form of pot roast/braised meat/stew with certain flavorings. I didn't grow up with Middle Eastern/Sephardic style cooking and I am trying to expand that and have been enjoying the process.

This would probably work well in a slow cooker of some kind but since I was at home having something in the oven or stove top is fine for my current lifestyle. I actually prefer to cook like this since I am more energetic earlier in the day and prefer to not have a lot of food preparation later in the afternoon. This would also work well for a Shabbos dinner or other gathering for the same reason as most of the work has been done prior to the dinner.

Also like all braised meats, it is even better the next day - fat is easily removed and reheating doesn't hurt the dish. In fact from what I have read on cooking "science", braised foods actually improve in taste the next day when reheated because the flavors have had a longer period of time to "marry".

Hawaiij-Braised Short Ribs

Excerpt From: Mills, Molly - Sababa Secrets and Israel's Best Recipes: Recipe Excerpts from the Sababa Cookbook and More

Braised dishes are quite a common sight at Israeli dining tables, especially during family weeknight dinners. They are so comforting and rich and tasty. And these braised short ribs spiced with Hawaiij are no different. Their curry-like spice blend is irresistible. This dish will specifically romance all your senses before it gets to your stomach and fills it in. Serve the dish with some roasted kohlrabi, and you have a full meal.

Serving Size: 6

Prep Time:  3 hrs. 40 mins

Ingredients:

4 lb. bone-in short ribs, sliced into 3-inch pieces
6 tbsp Hawaiij
2 cups roasted Kohlrabi mash
6 pcs carrots, halved lengthwise
2 pcs onions, thickly sliced
5 cloves garlic, peeled
10 sprigs thyme
¼ cup cilantro
¼ cup parsley
1 pc bay leaf
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups dry red wine
4 cups beef broth
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Place the short ribs in a rimmed baking dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and rub all over.

3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven and brown the ribs on both sides, about 10 minutes per batch.

4. Transfer the browned ribs in a plate, sprinkle with about 4 tablespoons of Hawaiij, and set aside.

5. Remove most of the fat from the Dutch oven and sauté the onions until caramelized, about 8 minutes.

6. Stir in the carrots and cook for another 4 minutes.

7. Add tomato paste and flour and stir for another 2 minutes.

8. Turn up the heat to medium high and add wine. Let it boil until wine is reduced to about half a cup.

9. Meanwhile, tie together the thyme, cilantro, parsley, and bay leaf using a kitchen twine. Add the herbs into the pot together with the broth and the remaining Hawaiij.

10. Season with salt and pepper and stir.

11. Put back the short ribs into the pot and let it boil.

12. Cover the dish with a tight-fitting lid. Then, transfer onto the preheated oven.

13. Let it bake for about 2 hours and 30 minutes.

14. Once the meat is done, arrange the ribs, together with some carrots and onions on a bed of roasted kohlrabi mash, drizzle with some sauce, and serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics