Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Blech (plata type) makes popping sound? What do I do?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 5:34 pm
Has this happened to anyone? Is it safe to use? What does it mean? It happens maybe 3
times over shabbos. The blech is on a timer and is only on for 2 3-hour periods per 24 hours.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 5:38 pm
I heard it once or twice and got scared the food will shift and slide off. I think it happened when my flame was too big.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 5:39 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I heard it once or twice and got scared the food will shift and slide off. I think it happened when my flame was too big.

Thank you for your response. Mine is the electric type I think it’s Israheat.

Bluepink

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 5:44 pm
Mine does that too, it’s just the metal straightening and bending a bit. It’s been doing it for years. Same sound as my metal cookie sheet when it goes in the oven and comes out to cool off

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 5:51 pm
Bluepink wrote:
Mine does that too, it’s just the metal straightening and bending a bit. It’s been doing it for years. Same sound as my metal cookie sheet when it goes in the oven and comes out to cool off

Thank you so much!!! You just saved our shabbos and yontif. I was worried something not so pleasant was going to happen..... thank you!!

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 10 2020, 12:40 pm
If it sounds like the metal is heating and cooling, it's normal.

A sharp popping sound can be electrical circuits frying. If it seems to be hotter than usual, or sparks when you plug it in, throw it away! I always use mine on one of those power strips that are used for computers, that will automatically shut off if they get overloaded. For things that will stay plugged in all night, it will give you real piece of mind. (Modern kitchens have that built into the outlets, but it never hurts to have a backup.)

blessedflower

Post Sat, Oct 10 2020, 6:13 pm
Yes it happens by me every week when I take of a pan, a short while later the plata makes a popping sound. It also happens a while after it turns off, when it's cooled off a bit. It's the noise of the metal bending a bit

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 4:29 pm
Mine also does the same when it goes off. Something to do with the metal expanding/contracting. It's a good reminder if we've been shmoozing too long that we better take the food off before it goes cold...

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 8:43 pm
My warning drawer also pops
It just the metal cooling and heating
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics