Home

Non-tomato-based vegetable soup recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 9:51 pm
I'm looking for a vegetable soup that is not tomato-based. I tried one from Allrecipes but didn't like it.

Other veggies we don't like:
- zucchini (though I can possibly puree it and hide it from my husband)
- butternut squash
- parsnip

Recipe?

amother

Amber

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 9:53 pm
Which vegetables do you like?

amother

OP

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 9:57 pm
Pretty much all others are okay.

Peas, carrots, celery, broccoli, split peas, green beans...

I also like beans, rice, etc. in soup...

Just looking for a recipe because last time I tried randomly, it was a disaster.

amother

Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 10:08 pm
I make a Broccoli soup that’s just cooked broccoli, the water I steamed it in and salt
I just blend it smooth

Butternut squash soup- roasted butternut squash, 1 sweet potato roasted, 2-3 carrots roasted
Roast all the veggies Putin a blender
Add water to just cover veggies and blend smooth

Corn soup doesn’t have tomatoes

amother

Amber

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 10:12 pm
Buy the Kedem split pea soup tube packet. Follow instructions and add vegetables as listed. (Skip the seasoning packet and use fresh onion garlic and salt).

Tamari

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 10:16 pm
Bubby's marrow vegetable soup from Balabusta's Choice #2 is a family favorite by us.

Stars

Post Sun, Oct 11 2020, 10:20 pm
I sauté some onions and garlic on low for a half hour, then I add a half a pack green split peas, 3 carrots, one sweet potato, a knob celery, some zucchini, a couple potatoes, (all peeled and cubed) water, salt and cook on low-medium for 3-4 hours. Then I blend it halfway because we like some chunks (I actually do this part with a potato masher).
This recipe is easily customizable. You can add or leave oit anything.

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 7:16 am
Minestrone: just throw the veggies you like into boiling water. Specially: carots, leak, celery stalks, 1 or 2 potatoes, a little bit of cabbage, if you like celery root (but some claim it makes the soup bitter)...

You could also make a thick soup just from celery roots.

Onion soup.

Mushroom soup

Asparagus soup.

Broccoli soup.

amother

Aqua

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 7:28 am
Saute onions, pieces of cauliflower (frozen is fine) cubes of sweet potato (or pumpkin or carrots) and cut red peppers. After a few minutes, add boiling water, cook till it bubbles, lower flame and cook for 20 minutes. You can add barley.or lentils or canned white beans when you add the water.

amother

Bisque

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:10 pm
Could you please share the Bubby’s marrow vegetable soup recipe?

amother

Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 1:08 am
I make vegetable soup by dicing onion, garlic, zuchinni, carrots, celery, parsnip, turnip, sweet potato, and sometimes a potato if I want. I saute the onion and garlic a little, add everything else, add water, salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste. I usually add a handful of barley too. If I want an extra hearty soup I add two strips of flanken as well.

You can leave out any vegies you don't like, but the zuchinni adds a lot of bulk, so you'll need more of the others to make up for it if you want a full pot of soup.

amother

Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:20 am
Our standard soup is an about-equal amount of carrots and zucchini, one onion, and orange lentils.

You don't like zucchini.

So maybe try carrots, red peppers, 1-2 onions, sweet potatoes or potatoes, and then orange or green lentils. You can also add leeks, beets, turnips, kohlrabi, fennel.

Sometimes we do several carrots, 1-2 red peppers, 1-2 sweet potatoes, and 1 kohlrabi, 1 onion, green or orange lentils. (You need to experiment with the lentils to see what your family likes more. Orange lentils tend to disappear when you hand blend the soup. Green lentils don't disappear, they turn the soup green and make it heavier/ less watery. Sometimes I use green lentils, my family eats both, but they prefer orange lentils.)

You can put almost anything you want in your soup, really. We blend it before eating.

I usually add salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 4:07 am
It's pretty easy.

Boil water, put in vegetables that you like.

Leave out the tomatoes.

Season to taste.

Done! Very Happy

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 5:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It's pretty easy.

Boil water, put in vegetables that you like.

Leave out the tomatoes.

Season to taste.

Done! Very Happy

FranticFrummie, technique matters! :-D

I start out most of my vegetable soups by making a mirepoix, which is a small dice of carrots, celery, and onions. I sauté that in some olive oil on a low flame until the vegetables are soft and fragrant. Then I add other vegetables, like diced sweet potatoes, sliced mushrooms, diced potatoes, and/or other root vegetables, give it a quick sauté, and then add water and seasoning (salt, garlic, basil, thyme), bring to a boil, and simmer for an hour or so. If you want, you can add a can of chickpeas near the end for more body and richness. I am not a fan of puréed soup, so I leave it as is once it’s cooked to my liking.

I do this in a six quart pot. An eight quart pot would be fine too.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen