Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Which area in israel is like cedarhurst NY
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

chanchy123

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:21 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Why would anyone nitpick or stone you?
These are your values. So now do your research and find a community/schools where you would fit in.
You may have to bend on some things, but that's how life works.

ETA: As someone wrote above, you sound very much like my (Israeli) Torani neighbors as well.

I think places like Yad Binyamin, Nof Ayalon, Alon Shevut, (Maaleh Adumim, Beit Shemesh? I’m not super familiar with these places but I think so), Rechovot, would be a great match. Also maybe some neighborhoods in Petach Tikva (although not sure how many Anglos are there).
ETA
Ramot in Yerushalayim, maybe also Har Nof (someone mentioned Givat Zev - it’s probably also a good option).
The very little I know about Cederhurst leads me to think you’re probably not looking for somewhere that is very simple or in the middle of Yesha. Because I think Lod Har Bracha, Beit El, and Psagot could also work haskfaicly but not so much socially.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:55 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
But at risk of being stoned-

"The past throws stones at the future and all of them land in the present" - Yehuda Amichai.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:15 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
OP- I'm wondering if Karmiel would be an option?? Anyone know about the community there? Seems more like out of town US / more open minded etc.

To the poster who said forget about labels etc etc. The OP's question is Which community resembles cedarhurst NY...she didn't ask "What the most out of town place in Israel. SHe didnt ask which community resembles Cincinnati or Detroit...I don't think she's looking for a melting pot with no labels like a super out of town everything goes sort of place...she's looking for something that resembles her particular community, the one she's currently raising her children in. I could be wrong though.

Been to Karmiel - it's pretty chareidi. They aren't so accepting of americans there unless you are fully integrated.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:16 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I think places like Yad Binyamin, Nof Ayalon, Alon Shevut, (Maaleh Adumim, Beit Shemesh? I’m not super familiar with these places but I think so), Rechovot, would be a great match. Also maybe some neighborhoods in Petach Tikva (although not sure how many Anglos are there).

All of those places are pretty DL. It seems OP is looking for American Charedi Lite...

chanchy123

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:29 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
All of those places are pretty DL. It seems OP is looking for American Charedi Lite...

What does that even mean?
Anyhow, I was thinking about Telz Stone (pretty sure that’s not how you spell it), family members of mine who are I guess that, live there, but they’re in their early 60s, what’s the younger crowd there like?

Success10

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:41 am
chanchy123 wrote:
What does that even mean?
Anyhow, I was thinking about Telz Stone (pretty sure that’s not how you spell it), family members of mine who are I guess that, live there, but they’re in their early 60s, what’s the younger crowd there like?

I don't live there, but Telzstone still has younger, chilled Chareidi type families, many of them Anglos, but there has also been an influx of mainstream Chareidim as well.

Sarah15

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:56 am
thanks so much for all yoour replies,especially the cold hard truths
1. I think we will look into a house in rbs A. Har NOf is super expensive for us
2. my husband wears jeans for work he is a repairman, but he will be fully learning in Israel so he wouldnt mind giving that up..also he is israeli and we speak hebrew at home so I dont think integration will be sooo bad
3. I would say we are American charedi, not MO, -we are baale teshuva that are pretty frum now with much more room to grow bH. I like cedarhurst bc there is a yeshivish presence but also some neighbors that are less tznuis etc are not frowned upon and I like to show my kids ahavas yisroel
4. I dont think we are DL, someone told me we would be between chhardal and charedi..can anyone please agree or disagree and also tell me what these terms mean!!
5. Bc of the backround I came from its important for my kids to be in the strongest torahdick community their is... but not somewhere where they protest at passerbyers that are just not dressed proper.. it might be right halachikally but from a chinuch standpoint in teaching my kids love for all jews it is wrong.....
therefore, please name me some boys schools and also girls schools where the kids would thrive in limudei kodesh (also have strong chol backround) as well as areas in RBSA or mishkafayim that have young frum families preferably with a bunch of kids that will help my fam get closer to torah without chastisment.. thanks ya'll

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:26 am
If you want your kids to integrate properly into Israel I think rechovot would work for you.
Eitz chaim have a boys chader and girls elementary school. They are charadi but dont follow all the "charadi rules" you're allowed a smart phone but it needs to be filleted. There are many strong Israeli charadi families, anglos and BTs. Its a small city in the centre of Israel with a friendly anglo community
Another option to look into is the new project in mitspeh yericho. You can get a huge place for the not so much money. Rabbi fischer is becoming the rav of the American community moving there. It's not a charadi yishuv, it's more chardal with a very strong yeshiva. I'm not sure what the American community will be like.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
They are charadi but dont follow all the "charadi rules" you're allowed a smart phone but it needs to be filleted.

Wink

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:37 am
vonigzan wrote:
thanks so much for all yoour replies,especially the cold hard truths
1. I think we will look into a house in rbs A. Har NOf is super expensive for us
2. my husband wears jeans for work he is a repairman, but he will be fully learning in Israel so he wouldnt mind giving that up..also he is israeli and we speak hebrew at home so I dont think integration will be sooo bad
3. I would say we are American charedi, not MO, -we are baale teshuva that are pretty frum now with much more room to grow bH. I like cedarhurst bc there is a yeshivish presence but also some neighbors that are less tznuis etc are not frowned upon and I like to show my kids ahavas yisroel
4. I dont think we are DL, someone told me we would be between chhardal and charedi..can anyone please agree or disagree and also tell me what these terms mean!!
5. Bc of the backround I came from its important for my kids to be in the strongest torahdick community their is... but not somewhere where they protest at passerbyers that are just not dressed proper.. it might be right halachikally but from a chinuch standpoint in teaching my kids love for all jews it is wrong.....
therefore, please name me some boys schools and also girls schools where the kids would thrive in limudei kodesh (also have strong chol backround) as well as areas in RBSA or mishkafayim that have young frum families preferably with a bunch of kids that will help my fam get closer to torah without chastisment.. thanks ya'll

RBS sounds like it would work well! I think you'll find what your looking for there

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:32 am
Cellphones with filleted chicken

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:36 am
imasoftov wrote:
The root צנע appears twice in Tanach, but I don't know if you mean the first time the root appears, or the first time it appears as an adjective.

The first time the root appears, Micha 6:8, it's a verb - וְהַצְנֵ֥עַ לֶ֖כֶת. That can't be translated into English as two verbs, the translation at this link says "walk modestly". Or the translation at Chabad.org is "walk discreetly".

The second time the root is found as an adjective, Mishlei 11:2 - צְנוּעִ֥ים. The translation there is "unassuming" and Chabad.org has "modest".

I didn't learn it that way...
I learned that it was used when talking about how Am Yisroel would go to the bathroom privately even on the battlefield. Something like that, and how in turn it reflected self respect, and later on it was used to mean something to do with mechubad.

This is the standard chareidi approach.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:36 am
RBS sounds right

we know many young families who sound like you are describing yourselves who made aliyah to there for the reasons you note

hatzlocha

tree of life

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:54 am
Hi if you would like to look in to rbs aleph or surrounding areas please pm I try put you in touch with someone that can help you

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 1:05 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I didn't learn it that way...
I learned that it was used when talking about how Am Yisroel would go to the bathroom privately even on the battlefield. Something like that, and how in turn it reflected self respect, and later on it was used to mean something to do with mechubad.

This is the standard chareidi approach.

You seem to be talking about Devarim 23:13 and the next two pesukim.

I'm not saying you didn't learn that one should be dressed formally, or even that the pesukim in Devarim didn't appear in that lesson, but if you were taught "the word tzanuah is translated at mechubad and proper in the first place it's mentioned in the tanach", you were taught wrongly, because this isn't the first place the word is mentioned in Tanach. It's not either of those places.

salt

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:46 pm
vonigzan wrote:

Difference between chardal and charedi is the 'leumi' bit
חרד"ל = charedi leumi
חרדי = charedi

There's no in between. Are you nationalistic and zionistic? which in real-life terms translate to army service for boys. And religious significance to celebrating yom haatzmaut. Can't think of any other significant differences (colour of kipa or white v stripy shirt is not significant)
If yes, you are chardal, if no, you are charedi.

STMommy

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 5:50 am
OP, what about Rabbi Rosner's area (don't remember the name; maybe someone here does)?
He literally took his kehilla from the 5 towns and transplanted it to Israel, so maybe you'll find like-minded people there to fit in.

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 6:00 am
I'm in RBS in Mishkafayim. feel free to PM me with any questions. I'm also happy to share my number through a PM. I think that I'm probably in the same category you are so I can share with you what I know about the schools here. I also live in a duplex so I can share with you the information that we looked when we were looking to buy.they are constantly building new things which you can get for less money but for my experience it's not always very easy.I'm still trying to deal with the builder to fix things but I think I'm going to give up soon.

dentalEma

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 8:30 pm
Has anyone heard of a place called harish? I also live in cedarhurst and I have been looking into a place in Israel that has the feel of cedarhurst. Everyone is frum but no one is judgy on how long /short your Sheitel is.
Someone told me about harish in Israel but from my research it doesn’t seem like a frum area
Thanks

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 5:24 am
dentalEma wrote:
Has anyone heard of a place called harish? I also live in cedarhurst and I have been looking into a place in Israel that has the feel of cedarhurst. Everyone is frum but no one is judgy on how long /short your Sheitel is.
Someone told me about harish in Israel but from my research it doesn’t seem like a frum area
Thanks
I believe its a city, so will be mixed, not only frum.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions