Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Question for Chabad women- please be honest!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:38 pm
I am seriously considering moving to a community with a large Chabad population. Likely the only frum neighbors I would have will be Lubavitch. Which is totally great. I went to school with some Chabad girls and they were wonderful people.

My question is this- I don't wear sheitels, and I know that among Chabad it is the prefered method of hair covering. Be honest please- will I be very out of things/looked down on as "less frum" etc for covering my hair in a different way?

Also- is it true that all Chabad women have long, gorgeous wigs? Trying to figure out how out of things I would feel...

Thanks!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:43 pm
This reflects only my own personal experiences.... it will make a difference if you are moving to a Chabad community that is primarily old Chabad families who go back generations, grew up in places like Crown Heights OR a Chabad community that is open to outsiders (more of a Chabad House feel) and has many BTs or people who grew up in shlichus communities.

banana123

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:45 pm
Depends which community you move to. In CH and KC there are many who don't only wear a sheitel. The rabbanim keep trying to push for a return to sheitels only but it hasn't really worked.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:46 pm
Depends which area
If you're comfortable sharing the location we can tell you more

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:47 pm
Thanks for your replies!
It's an OOT community with a yeshiva, there's a lot of young Chabad families.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:47 pm
Really depends on the neighborhood. I know plenty of chabad women that wear scarves or whatever, although I do wear wigs.

banana123

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:56 pm
Not all Chabad women have long, gorgeous wigs. It depends on who you're friends with.

saralem

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:01 pm
Personally it wouldn’t make a bit of difference to me. I myself wear a tichel plenty times.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:10 pm
Typically Chabad communities are non judgmental. Wear what you want. Welcome.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:23 pm
Thank you for all the replies! Really appreciate it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:25 pm
I personally wear a wig but it’s wouldn’t matter to me

Rebekkah

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:38 pm
banana123 wrote:
Not all Chabad women have long, gorgeous wigs. It depends on who you're friends with.

It depends how much money you can spend.

banana123

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:44 pm
Rebekkah wrote:
It depends how much money you can spend.

That, too. Smile Which is the same as what I wrote above - it depends on the social circle. Smile

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:47 pm
I only wear sheitels (CH) but it's not my business at all what you choose to wear. You're covering your hair, that's a great thing!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 8:35 pm
So impressed with all these replies. You all sound so welcoming and accepting. Thanks!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 8:50 pm
I would be happy to have you as my neighbor!

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 8:57 pm
I can’t think of one Chabad person who would think one thing or another about your type of covering. And just so you know, in my family alone there are Chabad women who wear gorgeous sheitals, plain sheitals, tichels, caps, beanies and kippah falls. So there are no real rules anymore.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 8:58 pm
I think that you definitely will find that the young women are very accepting. While some Chabad schools want the mothers to wear wigs to enter the building, the majority reach out to all kinds of Jews and will never make you feel out of place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating