Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
% rates by zip codes? nyc
1  2  Next

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 10:42 pm
I am wanting to see how our zip code in "red" zones in brooklyn is doing covid-wise. I want to see the #s going down, but I don't know where to find daily #s by zip code. I only find for all of NYC, or by county, or 7 day average... anyone know where to find them?
btw... our #s were better in hot spots overall today...but cuomo said could be holiday weekend... I am hoping because we are doing a better job at curbing this virus! (and also getting healthy people to test can also help!)

7 days below 3% then hopefully schools we reopen...

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 10:58 pm
More likely it was yom tov so less people tested

mother@4

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 12:35 am
You really think that schools will reopen at 3%? That’s what he says now, in the reopening plan you can google that, he said that if a community will be above 9% he will shut down again, what happened now why is he shutting down at 4%? Also the metrics keeps on changing

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 5:12 am
Nyc is going through a second wave we’re heading in the opposite direction overall.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 5:32 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Nyc is going through a second wave we’re heading in the opposite direction overall.

Um but NYS is testing at below 1%. Where are you getting your info from?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:56 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Um but NYS is testing at below 1%. Where are you getting your info from?

Hospitalizations are up.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:00 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Hospitalizations are up.

Yes because over 20% of positives are coming from zipcodes that have upticks. There are thousands of cases in those areas alone and appropriate number of hospitalizations. Red zones cannot overwhelm NY hospitals alone but can account for a few hundred more (which is what we're seeing). There is health dept data showing where hospitalizations are coming from and it is consistent with the uptick zip codes. We'll monitor the rest of the state over the next few weeks with eating and schools reopening.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 3:57 pm
they aren't posting the #s by zipcodes... apparently, our #s are better BH... but they want to control us as long as possible... I see what people keep saying is true.
YES, there are cases. YES, we need to be careful.
but NO...we do not need a full lock down

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:36 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
they aren't posting the #s by zipcodes... apparently, our #s are better BH... but they want to control us as long as possible... I see what people keep saying is true.
YES, there are cases. YES, we need to be careful.
but NO...we do not need a full lock down

They ARE posting by zip codes. https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/......page

Additional areas are creeping above 3%, and the numbers are going way up in other areas (for the 4 weeks ending October 3):

11223 Gravesend/Homecrest
8.56%

11230 Midwood
6.74%

11219 Borough Park
6.21%

11204 Bensonhurst/Mapleton
5.61%

11210 Flatlands/Midwood
5.60%

11691 Edgemere/Far Rockaway
4.65%

11229 Gerritsen Beach/Homecrest/Sheepshead Bay
4.38%

11367 Kew Gardens Hills/Pomonok
4.01%

11366 Fresh Meadows/Hillcrest
3.44%

11415 Kew Gardens
3.38%

11374 Rego Park
3.20%

10307 Tottenville
3.05%

11235 Brighton Beach/Manhattan Beach/Sheepshead Bay
3.05%

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:53 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
They ARE posting by zip codes. https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/......page

Additional areas are creeping above 3%, and the numbers are going way up in other areas (for the 4 weeks ending October 3):

11223 Gravesend/Homecrest
8.56%

11230 Midwood
6.74%

11219 Borough Park
6.21%

11204 Bensonhurst/Mapleton
5.61%

11210 Flatlands/Midwood
5.60%

11691 Edgemere/Far Rockaway
4.65%

11229 Gerritsen Beach/Homecrest/Sheepshead Bay
4.38%

11367 Kew Gardens Hills/Pomonok
4.01%

11366 Fresh Meadows/Hillcrest
3.44%

11415 Kew Gardens
3.38%

11374 Rego Park
3.20%

10307 Tottenville
3.05%

11235 Brighton Beach/Manhattan Beach/Sheepshead Bay
3.05%

Are these numbers based on everyone living only in these zip codes or is it based only on the people who are testing (who may or may not live in these zip codes)? And does it take into account the amount of people actually living in these zip codes who already had coronavirus and recovered?

qwerty4

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:54 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
More likely it was yom tov so less people tested

Can someone explain why they take the percentage of tests rather than percentage of calculation? Am I supposed to test weekly? Logic dictates to test when I'm not feeling my best, thus the chances of positive results are much higher.
Similarly, do the zip codes work according to the facility I test in? If I live in one zip code but test in another am I increasing their percentage rate if positive? And if I live in the zip code with one of the larger health centers in my area, will that mean that neighboring zip code residents will determine the rate in mine?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Are these numbers based on everyone living only in these zip codes or is it based only on the people who are testing (who may or may not live in these zip codes)? And does it take into account the amount of people actually living in these zip codes who already had coronavirus and recovered?

These are statistics regarding the percentage of people with addressed in those zip codes who tested positive.

We now have our first confirmed case of reinfection in the US. https://www.aol.com/first-case......html

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:21 pm
you posted for week ending 10/3... point is, they aren't posting daily results. those are 10 days old. doesn't show me if the enforcements of masks, or closing of shuls, etc, helped... and if so, which neighborhoods...

rikkik

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:26 pm
I suspect that numbers will be dramatically different, bec many healthy ppl are purposefully getting tested in order to bring the % number down. It will be a win/win. The governor and mayor can then declare that the lockdown helped and brought the red zone cases down, and the kids get to go back to school.
However, I hope that it doesnt fool us into thinking that it's not going around and to be complacent in the face of danger- if you are at risk- STAY HOME. If your loved ones are at risk, and don't have anti-bodies- BE CAREFUL.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:51 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
These are statistics regarding the percentage of people with addressed in those zip codes who tested positive.

So it goes solely by the patients testing positive who actually live in these zip codes, not by doctors office. Is that correct? Because deblasio said something different when Sunset Park had a spike so I just want to make sure that the reporting process has changed since then.

But lets say for argument sake that this is accurate and is only based on patients testing positive who actually live in the zip code. Lets take BP as an example. There are 106,357 people living in BP as per the 2010 census. If 5479 people from that zip code tested positive then the actual rate would be 5.15% and not the 6.21% you cited so the number is inaccurate. Of course, there may be less people living in the area than 2010 but then you would have to then show where you get the numbers from (and if the amount of people living in BP is now higher than in 2010, then the percentage of positive cases is even lower).

Of course, you admit that you dont take into account other variables like the amount of people who already had coronavirus and recovered, the amount of people at hospitals like maimonides who are testing positive but dont live in BP, the amount of false positives, etc. So the numbers are skewed and thousands of people are being punished for it because they are Jewish.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:43 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Yes because over 20% of positives are coming from zipcodes that have upticks. There are thousands of cases in those areas alone and appropriate number of hospitalizations. Red zones cannot overwhelm NY hospitals alone but can account for a few hundred more (which is what we're seeing). There is health dept data showing where hospitalizations are coming from and it is consistent with the uptick zip codes. We'll monitor the rest of the state over the next few weeks with eating and schools reopening.

Where do you see the data about the origins of hospitalizations? Can you post a link, please?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:49 pm
rikkik wrote:
I suspect that numbers will be dramatically different, bec many healthy ppl are purposefully getting tested in order to bring the % number down. It will be a win/win. The governor and mayor can then declare that the lockdown helped and brought the red zone cases down, and the kids get to go back to school.
However, I hope that it doesnt fool us into thinking that it's not going around and to be complacent in the face of danger- if you are at risk- STAY HOME. If your loved ones are at risk, and don't have anti-bodies- BE CAREFUL.

One would be a fool thinking our leaders and people in certain areas will care about anything once the lockdown is up. They will point to the artificially lowered numbers and say, see, we're good, no need for masks.
Also, thinking that only those with preconditions are at risk is too simplistic.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:59 pm
rikkik wrote:

Purposely lying to the government is a win/win?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:16 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Purposely lying to the government is a win/win?

They are not lying to the government. They are getting tested, which is available to everyone, healthy or not. In fact, that's exactly what the government wants. Since the start of this pandemic, they kept saying that the way to end lockdowns is through mass testing. They sent robocalls encouraging everyone to test. They set up test centers all over and even sent around mobile test centers. Everywhere you look there are ads saying "get tested." The ads are directed at EVERYONE. Healthy and not healthy. With symptoms and without symptoms.

If only people with symptoms test then we will have an artificially high positive rate. So I think it is great that they are encouraging mass testing, which will give a more accurate picture of how many people are really sick.

Its funny because a few weeks ago there were threads about how people are avoiding testing, and everyone was bashing away. So now everyone is testing and still getting bashed away!

bobeli

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:20 pm
I think they get the numbers according to where you test because non citizens don’t have to give information.
But it really doesn’t matter because they can do the numbers anyway they want and report any delay they want.
It doesn’t have to make sense and it has no science back up.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics