Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
ATTENTION ALL SPEECH THERAPISTS - a little help needed :)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 2:57 am
Hi, I'm an SLP without much working experience since I had a bunch of kids very close together soon after I finished school, so I didn't work much.
I need to get a job now and would love to do telepractice, but unfortunately I really remember close to nil, so I don't even know how I can go for an interview without looking really bad.

Are there any resources to have some what of a crash course on basic speech therapy knowledge so that I don't look like a fool on my interviews - videos, books, websites, etc....

I feel that once I have a job with cases I can research the specific cases and what to do, but I need to look somewhat good at an interview to get to that point.

Any advice would really be appreciated, especially since I really need the parnassah right now!

Also, do you know of any support speech email groups I can join to learn more from other frum SLPs?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:24 am
Read a praxis book?
speechtherapypd.com. They have podcasts. I used to listen to them on my way to work, and now if I'm in the car by myself at any point, I'll sometimes turn one on. Most of the podcasts are actually free, but you can get CEUs by paying. They're excellent!
You can get a membership to speechpathology.com. A huge amount of courses on there. I prefer speechtherapypd.com though.
If you're okay with Facebook, there are a bunch of SLP groups on there.
Call some SLPs that you know and ask to shadow them.
Feel free to ask questions on here. Happy to help if I can.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 10:23 am
Not sure how much you actually need to know for a teletherapy interview. They don't neccesarily ask you what you'd do in certain cases. IIRC I did have to fill out a queationaire post interview that gave me specific case studies, but for those you can technically do research for ...

Are you familiar with the different teletherapy agencies? Do you have two years pediatric experience? Or any experience in the public school setting?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 3:02 pm
Thank you for all your tips so far....
No unfortunately I don't have that much experience. I mostly worked with articulation in school-aged children. I also did some retrieval.....but thats about it Smile

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 3:15 pm
They’re looking for solid schools experience, people with at least a few years in the schools. I think they don’t care overly much about your therapy skills, but they care about your IEP skills, documentation, knowledge of various assessment tools, etc. All the legal stuff that has to be done right or they’re out of compliance.

You should join facebook groups like the school-aged slps group to get up to speed on treatment stuff.

Teletherapy pays poorly fyi and you may not be considered an employee, in which case your taxes are much higher. It may not be worth it. Sorry to sound discouraging, but just wanted you to be aware. Hatzlocha!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 5:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for all your tips so far....
No unfortunately I don't have that much experience. I mostly worked with articulation in school-aged children. I also did some retrieval.....but thats about it Smile

Hmm. The agencies I'm familiar with wouldn't really hire you. Except maybe for Tiny Eye since they even take CFYs.
Most want some more real experience before you thrust yourself into teletherapy. It also doesn't pay well, as the previous amother said. It's worth it for me personally bec I don't have to travel and it's overall better for my life and my kids that I work from home. But it sounds like you really need to first find a brick and mortar job and gain some good experience for a few years before venturing into teletherapy or you are going to be completely lost ...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 6:32 pm
Personally, most of my experience came from the job itself, and I went to a good graduate program. Also, if there’s a therapist on staff that can help you with questions or uncertainties... wondering if anyone knows of a Watsapp group for SLPs? Maybe that would be helpful?
I also think it’s just as important to have a good relationship with the client as it is to have good skills. Sounds radical maybe- but a client who gets along well with the therapist will often make more progress than a client who doesn’t particularly hit it off with her.
Hatzlocha!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:02 pm
I would suggest that you find a speech therapist to observe for a couple of days in a school. I would also recommend reviewing notes from college, taking ceu courses etc. When you go for your interview, if your lack of experience comes up explain that you have recently spent time observing, are taking ceu courses, reviewing notes, have a mentor and are determined to do an excellent job etc. Try applying at eLuma.
When you do get hired, don’t be embarrassed to reach out to your supervisor for help/questions. Even seasoned therapists have questions. You can ask for IEP and progress note samples from your supervisor too.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:05 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Hmm. The agencies I'm familiar with wouldn't really hire you. Except maybe for Tiny Eye since they even take CFYs.
Most want some more real experience before you thrust yourself into teletherapy. It also doesn't pay well, as the previous amother said. It's worth it for me personally bec I don't have to travel and it's overall better for my life and my kids that I work from home. But it sounds like you really need to first find a brick and mortar job and gain some good experience for a few years before venturing into teletherapy or you are going to be completely lost ...

Nope, not true. The only school experience that I had prior to being hired for a school teletherapy position was a few months of an internship. I did have experience in other areas though and had completed my CFY a few years prior.

schmoois1

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 11:56 pm
Where are you located?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:06 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Nope, not true. The only school experience that I had prior to being hired for a school teletherapy position was a few months of an internship. I did have experience in other areas though and had completed my CFY a few years prior.

Was your CFY done at a school?
I second the other posters regarding CEU courses. Im always getting emails of ones being offered.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Was your CFY done at a school?
I second the other posters regarding CEU courses. Im always getting emails of ones being offered.

No, in a SNF.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:58 am
What are the good teletherapy agencies?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:50 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

What I said is true for the agencies I'm familiar with (as I stated). There are so many small new ones that sure, there might be some that don't care. I'm not familiar with E-luma's policies.

Presence Learning requires public school (or similar) experience. On their interview with me they grilled me about the IEP process and particularly the process of being case manager bec that's often a role their SLPs have to take.

Global Teletherapy straight up requires two years minimum pediatric experience.

Tiny Eye might be more flexible, as I stated because they even take CFYs.

I've been in the teletherapy field for several years. It's relatively new and growing tremendously by the year. When I first started the three agencies I listed above were the only ones I knew if at the time.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:59 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
What are the good teletherapy agencies?

Presence Learning is the biggest/most well known. IMO they've become kinda too big for themselves. They lowered the pay scale a few years ago on many of their therapists without warning. IMO it's become a bit of a factory. They are very professionally run, and provide the most materials to their staff, but they spend a lot on the their development staff and IT and I think it comes at the expense of the therapists.

Tiny Eye is the oldest teletherapy company (or so they say). They are IMO less professional and very 'touchy-feely'.

Global Teletherapy is frum owned and run and has a name for paying the best.

Teletherapy has to be a good match for you. Many hate it. Some love it. It's definitely a big learning curve. Overall, I've heard the best reviews from people who work for Global. But again, it has to be something you like doing because it definitely has its downsides.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:41 am
Thanks again for your help and advice! Lots to think about now ......
Smile
Tizku Lmotzvot!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:24 am
I worked for one of those companies and while everyone I dealt with was nice they simply did not give me enough hours. I was in touch with different people over the course of my time working there and they all kept giving excuses for why I wasn't getting cases. But month after month nothing changed. And when I say not enough hours I mean my entire caseload was approximately one hour a week. I know it wasn't personal as I was given excellent feedback from my supervisor but it was very frustrating and I ultimately left for a job that actually gave me work (and money).

Besides that, I think it's absolutely not a good fit for a therapist who isn't already very solid in her skills and comfort level in the field. I strongly recommend working somewhere you will get real supervision and have daily in person contact with colleagues. That's where much of your skill as a therapist is developed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics