Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o what was the worst meal you received?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Oh poor you! You had 9 months to prep as many dinners as you needed, and instead you put the responsibility on someone else who went out of her way to cook you a meal when she could have sent you over a box of pasta with instructions. And it was frozen. Nebach!

Seriously?!?! Most people can barely manage to make dinner when they are pregnant. So just stop.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:05 pm
I've had a few different people forget, which I thought was surprising. Not from the same pregnancy. They were all people from shul that I didn't know well, but they did sign up. We just waited a bit and then pulled leftovers from the night before or had frozen pizza and moved on. One of them realized a few days later and reached out, but a couple of others never did. I'm not the most organized person in the world but I thought it was a little strange someone would forget that they even signed up and never realize. Maybe they were embarrassed? (I can see this as a future imamother thread: "I forgot to make a meal last week!")

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:08 pm
Watch the thread about imamother posts being about you explode...

(I'm taking this opportunity to thank every single person who has helped my family with meals throughout the years. They were all appreciated! )

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Seriously?!?! Most people can barely manage to make dinner when they are pregnant. So just stop.

Most??? Ok first trimester, yes. But seriously?! Most pregnant women can’t cook dinner at all ever from beginning to end? MOST? I feel for the women with HG. I don’t know anyone personally, but I really do feel bad for them. Them I understand.
Meal trains are usually for 2 weeks. Most women can’t double up and freeze 14 meals? Come on.
You wanna take freebies from other hardworking people, fine. But don’t kvetch about it.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:10 pm
Worst was a meal made in peanut sauce when we instructed everyone in the meal train that we have a severe allergy in the family.
Second worst was a meal brought to us 10 minutes before Shabbos only par baked (when we were sleeping in the hospital and couldn’t cook it)

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:12 pm
I remember my friend crying when her MIL sent her 3 pieces of chicken after birth. She had 4 kids and had no idea how she was supposed to divide the meal between them all Smile
And they were cold.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:13 pm
I hope this doesn’t sound too ungrateful for imamother standards but here goes....

When my mom had her 10th ka”h a few neighbors insisted on making dinners. She declined knowing what picky eaters we were but they insisted.

Most of the ten of us dislike chicken and won’t touch chicken on a bone. Mac and cheese all day every day.

The first night we got spaghetti with chicken pieces inside. One sister forced herself to eat it. (Now from a more mature standpoint- id probably eat it but back in the day...)

The second night was chicken on the bone. That was eaten by my little brothers and dad only.

The third night was... chicken on the bone. You could hear the screams of the hungry children down the block....

After that my mother was back in the kitchen poor woman.

Why am I writing this? Once you are making dinner anyway, don’t forget to ask if there is something the family won’t eat (picky eaters) or can’t eat (allergies). May as well make something that will be enjoyed.

The postscript was- A few weeks after that a neighbor asked again if she could make dinner. She specifically asked what we liked. We got the most delicious baked ziti and salad and that was highly appreciated.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:17 pm
You wanna take freebies from other hardworking people, fine. But don’t kvetch about it.

I don't see kvetching. I see black humor.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:19 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
I don't see kvetching. I see black humor.

Omg stahp that’s hilarious

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:21 pm
I’m really having a good laugh here and that doesn’t make me feel any less appreciative of all the women partaking in this type of chesed. I bet the ladies who received meals from me also have humorous stories to share. I like the idea mentioned above of asking for preferences or allergies.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:23 pm
Okay now I feel really bad how my post came across. I did NOT mean to bash or discourage anyone. OP just asked ones worst meal, that was mine, pushit. I was really grateful that I got, and yes, totally my family's fault that we're picky. I said in there, I thanked her. I didn't asked, she offered to make, and I accepted since I didn't prepare in advance.
I really think meal trains are, maybe not good for everyone, but definitely an amazing thing for most.

Ladies, pleads keep doing what you're doing. Of course only if you're up to doing it.

And to those who quoted me, since my post came across unappreciative, I think it would be a good idea to delete. Will my post also be deleted? Not sure how such works. I will delete my post.

I apologize

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am totally not trying to bash anyone here. I'm actually very pro these meal trains. But I feel if someone does go out of her way to prepare food for another family at least make it look good.

Good grief.

I really don't like this thread.

If you don't like what someone sends, say thank you and keep your criticism to yourself.

Oy.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:27 pm
Most??? Ok first trimester, yes. But seriously?! Most pregnant women can’t cook dinner at all ever from beginning to end? MOST? I feel for the women with HG. I don’t know anyone personally, but I really do feel bad for them. Them I understand.
Meal trains are usually for 2 weeks. Most women can’t double up and freeze 14 meals? Come on.

Yes most. I can barely stand throughout my pregnancies plus Add nausea to the mix.

Check out the pregnancy board here. People barely make it through the day. You still want them to cook double?!

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:34 pm
I once tried a new recipe to send, from a cookbook that is usually reliable. The recipe called for a cup of mayo. I thought it seemed like too much but figured I should stick with the recipe. It turned out to be disgusting. The only recipe I made from that cookbook that was a fail. My family couldn't eat it (we only tasted it after I had already sent it to the neighbors). I never mentioned anything because it was a mistake and there's nothing I can do about it, but I bet they think I'm the world's worst cook!

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:41 pm
What aqua and chartreuse said. Or shall I start a thread “what was the poorest-taste thread you ever read on imamother” and I start with this one?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:43 pm
someone once sent me 2 pies an hour before yom tov. It was wrapped and labeled and we were very excited to use it. Yom tov I take it out of the fridge to serve. I start cutting slices to find its raw....

Btw, she had let me know ahead of time she's sending it so we were counting on it for the meal. She just forgot to mention she's sending them raw

kenz

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:46 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I prep meals in advance and don't accept meals. My mom and MIL insisted that I have to accept from my sibs and DH sibs. I reluctantly accepted. Most were good BUT....
SIL sent 2 pans of very dried out food- one of chicken nuggets and one of rice. In general she cooks really well. I'm not sure what happened that night but the food was totally inedible. My husband who is really not picky couldn't get it down. There was also a soup which was very interesting. Of course I thanked her and complimented MIL on what a nice meal her daughter sent.
When I thanked SIL and asked what kind of soup she sent she chuckled and said it was a mix of 3 different leftover soups from her freezer...
Was really weird and out of character for her

Over 20 years ago when I had my first a neighbor brought over a meal and said apologetically, "It didn't come out like I planned." It was carrot soup, cold salmon, and some other stuff I don't remember. I understood even then how if someone likes that type of food, they would be delighted, but it's such a specific type of meal, and not one we went for at all. We ordered sandwiches from a fleishig takeout instead and enjoyed it immensely, and of course I thanked her profusely for the dinner. She worked hard on it and had the best of intentions.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:46 pm
At one point I was getting meals and appreciated it a lot.
When the meals stopped I got a random phone call from someone that she really wanted to send over supper. I told her it was okay... she kept insisting. I was getting very similar meals from all the people who sent. It was often soup, chicken and a side. Sometimes dessert. Whatever it was was fine. I was happy I didn’t have to prepare it. So when this person said she’s sending supper, I was surprised that it was only salad and cookies. I thought she would call to tell me she forgot to send over the chicken or whatever else.. but she didn’t call. I quickly had to put together something last minute which was fine but I wasn’t prepared for it since I was told I was getting supper.
One thing I realized from getting many meals over the years... my husband is totally fine and happy eating chicken every night! (I’m not 🤨... but I’m fine with cereal and milk or grilled cheese so it works out)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:51 pm
Oh well. I apologize to all those obviously offended by this thread. This was definitely not my intention.
I have always appreciated and thanked for every meal I ever got.
I just thought it would be interesting to hear what we as cooks can do better and learn from other ppls mistakes. (Should've mentioned this in my op)

I will now step out.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 4:58 pm
Oh poor you! You had 9 months to prep as many dinners as you needed, and instead you put the responsibility on someone else who went out of her way to cook you a meal when she could have sent you over a box of pasta with instructions. And it was frozen. Nebach!

Sorry but your example is in my books totally the opposite of what a meal train is to be.
Yes after a hard birth even warming up a frozen dinner is super hard.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics