Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o what was the worst meal you received?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:59 pm
zaq wrote:
What aqua and chartreuse said. Or shall I start a thread “what was the poorest-taste thread you ever read on imamother” and I start with this one?

First let’s vote which meal flop was the funniest Laugh

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 7:59 pm
[quote="amother [ Salmon ]"]Now I feel bad. I once made someone a meal but I work full time and there was no way to get her the food on time but I wanted it to be fresh. I prepared everything and brought it over the day before and just had a note on it to stick in the oven on 350 for 2 hours.

Nothing to feel bad you sent it over early and wrote a note.
Total diff story

tigerwife

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:06 pm
I once baked a double recipe of muffins and sent a tray to a shiva house, keeping the other tray for my family. When I tasted the muffins later that morning, I realized that the insides were completely raw! I felt so bad about it but they laughed it off and said it’s fine. Mistakes happen!

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:07 pm
Wonder what the recipient of my meal wouldve said...
Was so embarrassed.

After sending over the supper to the kimpeturin I served the chicken to my family and it was RAW!!

Couldnt figure out how that happened since I baked for quiet few hours.

After few times using since I noticed something was wrong with oven and didnt reach correct temp. That was first time I noticed something off.

Quiet embarrassing. She couldve written it here as a complaint too

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:18 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
This is a delicious meal! It's not the person's fault that you don't like it. To complain about this meal is extremely ungrateful and really not nice.

Sorry but I don't get where you saw it as a complaint. Op asked ones worst meal, what I mentioned was mine since we're picky eaters. I didn't blame nor have I been unappreciative.

If you and the others could be so kind and delete you post where quoted me. I deleted my original post.
Tia

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:30 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Sorry but I don't get where you saw it as a complaint. Op asked ones worst meal, what I mentioned was mine since we're picky eaters. I didn't blame nor have I been unappreciative.

If you and the others could be so kind and delete you post where quoted me. I deleted my original post.
Tia

You now wrote a few times that you really didn’t intend to complain or come across as ungrateful. It was a delicious meal for others but didn’t work for you. Don’t feel bad. You’re anonymous. I’d delete when someone asks me to but you really don’t have to feel bad if they don’t. I’ll delete my comment about it.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:45 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
A thread like this is in poor taste and reeks of ingratitude. And also, kind of proving the point of those that don't agree with the concept of a meal train.

I agree with your first sentence, but why would anyone disagree with the concept of a meal train?

mommyla

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:45 pm
I don’t take meals because my kids are pretty picky and I’m generally capable of simple meals postpartum. I did accept meals after my first and the worst was when I got two meals in one night!! Someone must have messed up the schedule and the second person came when the first meal was still on the table. I put it away for the next night but I felt bad for her!

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:47 pm
By my second child, 2 people forgot to make dinner on the nights they had signed up for. That was hard because I kept waiting, thinking it was coming and my child was cranky and hungry.
I also had a few dinners that I didn't like and I felt bad that someone put all that effort into it.

As a side note, on the meal train I'm on, it asks for preferences/allergies, so people don't send food you really don't like (I.e. I wrote no fish on mine).

By my next child, I declined the offer of meal trains. Pasta and cheese it is!

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:53 pm
I made pasta and cheese a few hours after I came home from the hospital. It was no big deal really....

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 8:54 pm
In 99% of cases, I'd say just laugh it off and forget it, don't be ungrateful, someone did you a favor. But there is that occasional situation where it really is a headscratcher. During my last pregnancy, I was on total bed rest for the last trimester, so we were getting some meals during that time. Lucky me, I also had gestational diabetes, so on the meal train, it was written in big bold letters that meals had to be low carb/no sugar. One meal that came one night was chicken drenched in duck sauce, noodles and roasted potatoes as sides, and huge tray of brownies (which I suppose could have been made with almond flour and no sugar, but given the rest of the meal, I wasn't going to take my chances with those brownies). I still tried to see the good in it, I mean, my husband and kids were at least covered for dinner that night even if I couldn't eat it, but yeah, it was definitely frustrating for me. My husband had to cook me an omelet so that I could have something to eat. Takeout was not an option, it's really hard to find diabetic friendly food in restaurants. So yeah, I definitely still feel a twinge of annoyance when I think about it and wonder what on earth that person was thinking.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:08 pm
Just want to give a shout out to all the wonderful women cooking for kapayim & kochavim. You kept our family fed for close to 2 years & the meals we got were beyond delicious, wholesome & extravagant!!
And one official supper usually stretched out to 2 that’s how generous the food we received was!
May Hashem bentch all of you wonderful ima’s helping families whether pp or when a family member is sick.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:11 pm
chicken cutlets and mashed potatoes. while they were good, I received this every. single. day. for 2 weeks straight Smile

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:14 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I made pasta and cheese a few hours after I came home from the hospital. It was no big deal really....

After I was sent home from the hospital, I didn't ask for any help. I tried to take a pot out to make some pasta for my family and I just remember collapsing on the floor. I knew at that point I needed help. Everyone has different experiences.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:26 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I agree with your first sentence, but why would anyone disagree with the concept of a meal train?

The entitled attitude of the previous posts. I've come across it IRL as well. It has turned me off. I would send to a relative, good friend, or someone I personally know truly needs it. But I won't participate in a meal train. So you got chicken and potatoes two weeks in a row? A meal train isn't a restaurant that you place orders. So someone who was probably scrambling around like crazy doing a favor for you got confused or somehow missed seeing your preferences or diet restrictions? Yeah, difficult to deal with but how inappropriate to actually get angry. This isn't like you paid a caterer who messed up.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:27 pm
I was so overwhelmed with gratitude for my moms who cooked me supper postpartum (we had moved a month before I gave birth, with RH, Sukkot and Y"K in between, so I barely had time to unpack my freezer never mind fill it with meals before giving birth)

one thing I felt terrible about though - someone gave me a whole pan of yummy hot corn on the cob, which my kids LOVE but my rabbi told me is 1000% not permitted to eat because of bug issues.... I thanked the mom profusely and hid the corn in the laundry room and stuffed towels over it to hide the heavenly smell in a panic before all the kids could see and start sobbing (this was NOT the time for a teaching moment!) and only threw it out after they had all gone to sleep. I felt so bad the mom had spent all the time buying/cooking/transporting food I had to throw out. But I felt so good she had done it!!!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:30 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
In 99% of cases, I'd say just laugh it off and forget it, don't be ungrateful, someone did you a favor. But there is that occasional situation where it really is a headscratcher. During my last pregnancy, I was on total bed rest for the last trimester, so we were getting some meals during that time. Lucky me, I also had gestational diabetes, so on the meal train, it was written in big bold letters that meals had to be low carb/no sugar. One meal that came one night was chicken drenched in duck sauce, noodles and roasted potatoes as sides, and huge tray of brownies (which I suppose could have been made with almond flour and no sugar, but given the rest of the meal, I wasn't going to take my chances with those brownies). I still tried to see the good in it, I mean, my husband and kids were at least covered for dinner that night even if I couldn't eat it, but yeah, it was definitely frustrating for me. My husband had to cook me an omelet so that I could have something to eat. Takeout was not an option, it's really hard to find diabetic friendly food in restaurants. So yeah, I definitely still feel a twinge of annoyance when I think about it and wonder what on earth that person was thinking.

She was doing her best and it sounds like it all worked out for your family.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:31 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Just want to give a shout out to all the wonderful women cooking for kapayim & kochavim. You kept our family fed for close to 2 years & the meals we got were beyond delicious, wholesome & extravagant!!
And one official supper usually stretched out to 2 that’s how generous the food we received was!
May Hashem bentch all of you wonderful ima’s helping families whether pp or when a family member is sick.

What organizations are those?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:31 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:

Sorry, this is just ridiculous.
Your husband and kids enjoyed the meal, so you can appreciate it just for that.
Yes, there a people who don't realize that duck sauce is full of sugar, and she sent the brownies for everyone to enjoy, she wasn't sending the food just for you. Or she may have missed your listed preferences even if it was written in big gold letters.
Sorry, but the entitlement and ingratitude, coupled with the fact that you still feel a twinge of annoyance months or years later, really irks me.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Oct 13 2020, 9:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What was the weirdest/worst meal you have received from a meal train?

BH I have gotten really nice meals and I was very grateful. One time I got chicken and rice that was not cooked enough and I didn't really have the head to deal with it but I was still happy she sent me something.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics