Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary info
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

cat81

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 10:24 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
Check out if you are eligible.
This is what a lot of girls have been doing. They register in college right after school. Take a few classes over the summer and then go aboard as part of their college courses. They get credits for the year of seminary too.
That works only if your daughter is interested in pursuing a college degree! They have a few options in ny/ nj but I'm not sure how it works oot, I'm sure you can find out by calling TTI or simikar college!

How will fafsa help for getting grants/scholarships (not want loans) for year spent in Israel seminary?

Is attending summer college before seminary needed?

I thought can always apply to college next year while in Israel, and get same amount of credits as a transfer student. Am I wrong?

I did notice how all the Stern/Lander college bound girls are applying now even though they going to seminary next year, but since my DD hasn’t decided on Touro vs non Jewish route (current preference), we didn’t apply.

Last edited by cat81 on Mon, Dec 07 2020, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 10:29 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Chemdas is her third option but she is not sure if that would mean going to a place where she will not find any out of the box thinking type girls at all and would miss that dimension. For example she will discuss the quality of Jewish literature vs secular, the factors that play a role in the disparity, and what potential resources could change the dynamic with her more broad friends. Some of the most yeshivish of her friends would simply have no interest, and no frame of reference.

Yeah, I hear you on this. OK, then, BJJ and BS are better options for her.

I will say for myself that what I loved most about BJJ, from a social perspective, was the diversity.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:01 am
cat81 wrote:
Chinuchscholarship bec ur husband is in chinuch?

I didn’t think the mainstream seminary offer decent sized scholarships

Years ago a seminary called and offered us a scholarship. My mother was a Morah and father worked. Not even sure why it was a newer school and had great applicants and I wasn’t even a top student. So scholarships do exist. (My neiced whose parents are in chinuch do get scholarships and seminary ends up costing similar to staying in America with Dorming and monthly transportation home)

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:07 am
cat81 wrote:
Chinuchscholarship bec ur husband is in chinuch?

I didn’t think the mainstream seminary offer decent sized scholarships

Maybe not some of the top top seminaries.

My niece went to a mainstream (but somewhat RW) seminary last year. They paid less than I paid for local seminary for my daughter.

I remember when my sister went to BS, she got amazing scholarships. She got a scholarship thru Touro, and some other academic scholarship for her grades (she really had top grades B'AH), a whole slew of things. Seminary ended up being very little cost. (this was about 10 years ago, though.)

I remember though that she worked hard at all the paperwork involved in getting the scholarships....

cat81

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:16 am
Chayalle wrote:
Maybe not some of the top top seminaries.

My niece went to a mainstream (but somewhat RW) seminary last year. They paid less than I paid for local seminary for my daughter.

I remember when my sister went to BS, she got amazing scholarships. She got a scholarship thru Touro, and some other academic scholarship for her grades (she really had top grades B'AH), a whole slew of things. Seminary ended up being very little cost. (this was about 10 years ago, though.)

I remember though that she worked hard at all the paperwork involved in getting the scholarships....

BS is my dd’s top choice so I am very interested in getting these scholarships. However unless I misunderstood Touro during their zoom, they only offer a scholarship (could be substantial for ACT scores > 31) when she returns to America and takes classes in NY.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:20 am
cat81 wrote:
BS is my dd’s top choice so I am very interested in getting these scholarships. However unless I misunderstood Touro during their zoom, they only offer a scholarship (could be substantial for ACT scores > 31) when she returns to America and takes classes in NY.

BS is not known these days for giving breaks. They were much newer back when my sis went.

Also, I think alot of these college programs realized that many students don't come back to them when they finish seminary, which is why they started changing their policies. Even back when my sister went thru Touro, they were only taking a limited number of students on for their Israel program. I think one of the reasons my sister got into the program is because my older sister actually went to Touro and got her pre-med degree from them, and went on to medical school...

You would need to find out which college programs are currently offering scholarships beginning with seminary year...

cat81

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:25 am
Chayalle wrote:
BS is not known these days for giving breaks. They were much newer back when my sis went.

Also, I think alot of these college programs realized that many students don't come back to them when they finish seminary, which is why they started changing their policies. Even back when my sister went thru Touro, they were only taking a limited number of students on for their Israel program. I think one of the reasons my sister got into the program is because my older sister actually went to Touro and got her pre-med degree from them, and went on to medical school...

You would need to find out which college programs are currently offering scholarships beginning with seminary year...

Touro told me that if they accept my dd into their Israel program, she’s required to attend Touro the year after seminary and not to apply to any other colleges while in Israel. Not sure how it’s enforceable but is what they said.
I also didn’t see any benefits for applying to their Israel program at all besides for the occasional get together for students while in Israel. The 36 max credits they accept from seminary don’t seem to be restricted only to those students in their Israel program.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:33 am
I can't imagine any would. How would it benefit them at all? Especially with girls switching their plans last minute.
The Sems should have their own scholarship money to dispense for the year.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:36 am
cat81 wrote:
Touro told me that if they accept my dd into their Israel program, she’s required to attend Touro the year after seminary and not to apply to any other colleges while in Israel. Not sure how it’s enforceable but is what they said.
I also didn’t see any benefits for applying to their Israel program at all besides for the occasional get together for students while in Israel. The 36 max credits they accept from seminary don’t seem to be restricted only to those students in their Israel program.

Once my sister was accepted to that program, she was able to qualify for many college scholarships. IIRC she got $12000 toward her seminary tuition. That's nothing to sneeze at.
Some of it was academic, some of it was Fafsa (my father had retired at that point, I think that helped), I'm not sure exactly how it worked, but I remember this being the selling point.
She ended up going for a second year and got scholarship $$$ for that year as well, and finished her BA.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:42 am
cat81 wrote:

It is not.
My DD had friends who only applied and got into Turi when they were already in Sem. and they got credits.

cat81

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:47 am
Chayalle wrote:
Once my sister was accepted to that program, she was able to qualify for many college scholarships. IIRC she got $12000 toward her seminary tuition. That's nothing to sneeze at.
Some of it was academic, some of it was Fafsa (my father had retired at that point, I think that helped), I'm not sure exactly how it worked, but I remember this being the selling point.
She ended up going for a second year and got scholarship $$$ for that year as well, and finished her BA.

12,000 from other sources besides Touro (not give anymore for seminary year) and FAfSA?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 11:56 am
Double check about the credits.

When I went to seminary, I didn’t do Touro’s Israel option, since I didn’t want my grades to go on my college transcript.

Touro took only 30 out of 36 credits, as transfer credits. (Makes sense from their end; if you can get the same 36, why would you pay for their Israel option?) shows up differently on the college transcript than if you did Israel option.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:09 pm
cat81 wrote:
12,000 from other sources besides Touro (not give anymore for seminary year) and FAfSA?

I believe that was the total of what she got for her first year. Some of it was from Touro, some fafsa, and some academic scholarship from another source.
She also got additional funds from Touro the next year. IIRC she qualified for a certain amount per year of being in the program.

cat81

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:27 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I believe that was the total of what she got for her first year. Some of it was from Touro, some fafsa, and some academic scholarship from another source.
She also got additional funds from Touro the next year. IIRC she qualified for a certain amount per year of being in the program.

Less interested in amount, More on sources.

I just emailed Touro asking for confirmation that scholarship/grants don’t apply for Israel year despite actually paying Touro the $25k which they forward to approved seminary. Will post when get reply.

Last edited by cat81 on Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:29 pm
I think the advantage of registering in college before going to Israel is so that you can apply for fafsa if you are eligible!

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:31 pm
cat81 wrote:
Less interested in amount, More on sources.

I just emailed Touro asking for confirmation that scholarship/grants don’t apply for Israel year despite actually paying Touro the $25k which they forward to approved seminary.

Did your DD already apply, get accepted, and commit to Touro, my DD hasn't even opened the application yet.
Sem is due first and we are crossing one bridge at a time.

cat81

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:38 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Did your DD already apply, get accepted, and commit to Touro, my DD hasn't even opened the application yet.

Not apply yet bec my daughter is not currently interested in Touro, prefers a non Jewish regular college. I assume that a year in Bnos Sarah will change her mind:)

Of course should Touro give scholarship money (accepted to Honors program) to cover year in seminary, then thats where she’ll be going.

FAFSA - had no idea that there’s a benefit (excluding loans) to applying for this to cover Israel seminary year until I read about it here. Hiccup may be as she’s not yet admitted to any college, but will see once get thru FAFSA application.

cat81

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I think the advantage of registering in college before going to Israel is so that you can apply for fafsa if you are eligible!

And if eligible, what could I get to cover seminary?

cat81

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 1:20 pm
So Touro just confirmed that their own scholarship funds/grants don’t apply for the Israel year's tuition. All they do is "forward" the $25k you pay to them to approved Israel seminary.

It seems as if the major downside for these Israel College/Seminary programs is that a girl must commit to going to that specific college after returning to the USA and not even apply anywhere else.

And in return for the above commitment, one can apply to FAFSA and get loans, though not grants/scholarships. Am I wrong and/or missing something?

The seminaries themselves are either not offering scholarships at all or just very small amounts (excluding chinuch). I'm Trying to figure out how to cover the cost of seminary withOUT loans.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:30 am
Deadline is approaching!!! The pressure is on!!! Smile
How are you all doing? It's all so confusing for first time applicants!!!
I can just imagine what will be when we get acceptance letters and it's time to finalize!!! LOL
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics