Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Covid and party
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:48 pm
I don't know what to do. Really need some advice. My sil is having a huge birthday for her 1 year old baby. About 50 to 60 people will be there. I highly doubt anyone will be masked.
I haven't really taken my kids anywhere crowded cause of this virus. I really don't want them to get it. I just feel like we don't know long term effects and I'd rather my kids not get it. I do send them to school though cause the school is really controlling everything well and kids are all masked. I don't know what to do here. Do we go to this party or not? I love my sil so much, I don't want to hurt anyone but at the same my kids health is really important. I'm not sure if going to a party for a few hours and chas vshalom someone getting sick is worth it. BTW my sil is amazing and she totally would understand if we didn't go cause she knows we don't go anywhere. I just feel so bad for my kids if I don't take them. But I guess ill feel worse if I take them and someone gets sick. Pls help me.

Mothers

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know what to do. Really need some advice. My sil is having a huge birthday for her 1 year old baby. About 50 to 60 people will be there. I highly doubt anyone will be masked.
I haven't really taken my kids anywhere crowded cause of this virus. I really don't want them to get it. I just feel like we don't know long term effects and I'd rather my kids not get it. I do send them to school though cause the school is really controlling everything well and kids are all masked. I don't know what to do here. Do we go to this party or not? I love my sil so much, I don't want to hurt anyone but at the same my kids health is really important. I'm not sure if going to a party for a few hours and chas vshalom someone getting sick is worth it. BTW my sil is amazing and she totally would understand if we didn't go cause she knows we don't go anywhere. I just feel so bad for my kids if I don't take them. But I guess ill feel worse if I take them and someone gets sick. Pls help me.

I think there’s your answer.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:53 pm
I totally understand you.
For a one year birthday party I wouldnt go.
I went to my nephews bar mitzvah, & was very uncomfortable (skipped the shabbos bat mitzvah because I would have to be a guest in someones home it was in a different town than my own) and missed my nephews bris.

(I was the only family member missing from both events)

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:53 pm
This is a no brainer

Stay home

nchr

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:54 pm
I personally would not attend.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:55 pm
Op I agree with your reasoning that the virus is still so new, we dont know much about possible long term effects ch"v
We didnt know that mumps can cause sterility, we only learned that later.
We didnt know that untreated strep can cause rheumatic fever, we only learned that later.
IH we wont have anything to learn about later but why take the risk....
I think youre thinking smartly.
I would stay home.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:00 pm
Its worth it not to go and risk getting it. you don't know who is carrying it. Explain to your kids that things are different now and give them a treat instead. or tell your sister in law that you are not coming and ask her if there is anyway she can give you some of the stuff that she is giving out so that they can feel like they are a part of the party.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:00 pm
I wouldn't go either. Didn't go,to a family birthday in the summer for,this reason. If you do decide to go, stay only a few minutes and have the kids be wearing masks. Or maybe they,can set up a zoom at the party ?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:02 pm
Don't go. Have your kids put together some sort of quick skit or song or thing, and set up with your SIL for them to do it for her remotely. So they're involved, and SIL sees effort.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:10 pm
Buy a cake. Zoom into the party and have them eat cake during the zoom.
Not a good idea to go if you’re being careful.

yksraya

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:14 pm
Just buy her kid a nice birthday present toy. Maybe go over with the kids before the party starts to give the toy and wish happy birthday at the door. Or just send the gift and have the kids call and say happy birthday.

Tzippy323

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:24 pm
Don’t go, because you know, in your head, that this isn’t what you want to do. You’ll always blame yourself if someone, Chas v’shalom gets sick. Zoom, send some cute cards, and make more than one congratulatory phone call. I wish more people had your good sense!

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:29 pm
The struggle is real, OP. My kids have missed out on so much.

Hug

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:34 pm
What’s the question? I would not go to any indoor event where people will be close together.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 4:54 pm
Ohhh I forgot to mention its outdoors but in a very small area. Not at all enough room for 50 people to be keep any distance whatsoever!!

gingleale

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 5:11 pm
Stay home. Do something special with your kids to celebrate at the same time.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 5:19 pm
I am not taking my children anywhere they absolutely don't need to go for the time being. They are in school but I consider that a necessity lol.

Sounds like you know what you want to do and bh your sil will not have hard feelings towards you. Buy a nice present and if you are up to it you can offer to help with preparations before so they see you care but it is just not a risk you feel comfortable with ar the moment.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 7:01 pm
my kids don't know about the party. I didn't tell them because I didn't want them to get hurt if I don't end up taking them. Only problem is that what if they do find out?? What will I do? Is it better to just tell them now myself? But I really really don't have the heart to hurt them.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 7:52 pm
I could hear the question if it was a big family wedding, for a 1 year old party I wouldn't even consider taking a risk. You tell your kids you don't think it's safe and you can celebrate at home.

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:25 pm
We have skipped weddings, bar mitzvahs, brit milahs, simchat torah. A 1 yr olds bday party? Not even a hesitation in my mind. If course I wouldn't go.
Every time I have an event I think "how would I feel if I or my family member got sick from this event?" And that gives me my answer.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics