Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Those who need 8 hours of sleep a night- newborn??
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:29 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
can u get a nap in during the day? or maybe twice a week have a nanny sleep over so u can sleep thru the night? I don't know if my suggestions are realistic...

Halevai. I work so I'm never home without the kids for a nap and no space in my tiny apt for a nanny to sleep over even if I could afford one. I have to learn to sleep train better really, this mama is tired

Stars

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:30 pm
Entered a zombie state.

Slightly more helpful, I actually got used to getting less sleep. Humans are awesome like that.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
be careful! can be dangerous to sleep with a newborn. maybe put something bumpy between u in case u turn over

If you fall off your bed in the middle of the night, or are drunk or taking medication, co-sleeping is dangerous. If you don't, you have enough body awareness even in your sleep.

lucky14

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:12 pm
ha ha ha. I'm not sure how I survived but I made it through somehow. My husband helped a few nights with just holding them but he works hard during the day so it was not often he could do that. It didn't last forever though. I learned no tricks. It was hard. So so hard.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I don't. I hate hate hate the newborn stage. It's probably the reason why I always get PPD.

My psychiatrist prepped me for post partum by saying that I must get sleep. She said this is a priority over everything. Whether it’s figuring out how to get sleep at night or sleeping whenever the baby sleeps during the day. She said leave everything else. Forget about cleaning the house and cooking. Just make sure you get enough sleep. Shabbos, husband can get up for baby at night and nap during the day because he doesn’t have to go to work. A few more weeks til baby iyh.. hoping I can manage to get my much needed sleep!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:40 pm
So validating to read this thread. I feel like a madwoman without my 8 hrs. of sleep.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 12:19 am
Just had a baby and I’m thinking how other women are managing. My house is flying barely have time to do basics. I can’t sleep when baby sleeps with a toddler home.
Never mind sleep I need a few minutes privacy.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 12:28 am
So validating to read this thread. My baby is only a few weeks old. Although I've had a 10 year break since my last one, my body didn't store any of that sleep!
The first 3 weeks were easier since I was visibly weak, the house just went on temporary hold and dh stepped in to pick up all the slack. I was in bed most of the day and slept whenever I was able to.
I'm finding it much harder now. Baby is 6 weeks old. I'm out of bed for the day at 7-8am and don't go back to bed before 12-1. Laundry, supper and basic straightening up gotta get done (as well as some work stuff).
Dh works all day and pitches in with household stuff, I feel it's unfair to ask him to feed the baby at night even for 1 feeding (I only bottle feed) although that would make a huge difference.
It's really tough.

tichellady

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 12:42 am
I was a disaster. But pregnant was actually harder for me because I really couldn’t sleep from discomfort. I want a big family but not sure it’s possible for me

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 1:35 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
If you fall off your bed in the middle of the night, or are drunk or taking medication, co-sleeping is dangerous. If you don't, you have enough body awareness even in your sleep.

If by co sleeping you mean in the actual bed with no protection, you are wrong about this.
I almost rolled onto my newborn- I was so tired and in such a deep sleep. I immediately took her out of my bed and kept her in a bassinet or crib.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 1:51 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
If by co sleeping you mean in the actual bed with no protection, you are wrong about this.
I almost rolled onto my newborn- I was so tired and in such a deep sleep. I immediately took her out of my bed and kept her in a bassinet or crib.

I've co-slept for over 10 years. I have never so much as found myself sleeping on a baby's arm.

But everyone needs to know themselves - some people have more in-sleep awareness than others.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 4:48 am
I prioritize napping for the first 6-8 weeks. House is a mess and can't get anything done, but I feel more human when I can get at least a 20 minute nap (have to sync toddler and baby naps). I keep a pillow and blanket downstairs so I can grab a nap on the couch to save time. My kids are still little, though. I don't know what I'd do if I had school aged kids home.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 6:54 am
you eventually get used to living on less sleep

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 6:58 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
You manage. But physically and emotionally healthy is a very tall (and I think unrealistic) order in the newborn stage.

Really it's all a blur.

This!! It takes me at least 6 months to get back to myself but it really depends on the baby, how he/she is doing with feeding etc. It's draining but the newborn stage flies by and they're just so cute and little

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:02 am
I never got used to it. With one of my kids I got so depressed by the lack of sleep that DH took over the nights and fed the baby bottles.
The lack of sleep is the worst part of motherhood to me. I tried sleep training with all different types of methods and nothing worked.
I remind myself daily that this too shall pass and I take big breaks between babies.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:09 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I sleep with my baby and nurse lying down. Usually latching baby on doesn't even wake me up completely. It's actually harder when they're older and want to do acrobatic nursing or wake up early to play. As newborns, they don't mind just nursing all night and don't need entertainment.

I also sleep with my babies. They suck all night. It’s the only way I survive.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:18 am
The first week nothing makes sense bcause after birth exhausted
After that I feed every 2.5 hours then before I went to sleep fed a lot formula and swaddled then sleeps 6 hours straight I wake up to pump
Now is 6 weeks still doing that

amother
White

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:43 am
It was the most difficult part other than labor.

Here is what I recommend in hindsight ( I am way past this age& stage in life.

1. First 1- 2 weeks get someone else to handle nights so you recover faster from the actual birth.

2. Split nights with dh. For example; You sleep first shift, him second shift or similar dependent on your habits etc. Or hire someone.

3. Sleep train. Once they are 3-6 months maximum.

Once you get to 6 hours straight every single night it will be much more manageable, tired but less zombie like. The tiredness will be much less. It seriously was the hardest part of having a baby.

Rappel

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:47 am
I get a high right of after birth, and I suddenly don't need to sleep as much. I'm buzzing for like 2-3 weeks, then come three very hard weeks, and then my babies start sleeping for chunks of time.

I'm sure everyone is different, but I find my sleep needs change entirely at that time.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:02 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
The first week nothing makes sense bcause after birth exhausted
After that I feed every 2.5 hours then before I went to sleep fed a lot formula and swaddled then sleeps 6 hours straight I wake up to pump
Now is 6 weeks still doing that

I'm only formula feeding this time and I don't find that my baby is sleeping longer! She still wants to eat every 2 to 2.5 hours. If I get lucky she'll give me a 4 hour stretch at night (which really means closer to 3 hours of sleep for me because preparing and feeding takes time). But that happens at random and not every night.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics