Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How long after testing positive is one contagious

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:10 pm
Once someone tests positive theyre told to quarantine for 2 weeks but dont some still carry the disease longer?
Im asking because someone wants to be my guest shabbos and is still coughing around 3 weeks after the tested positive, theyre telling me the symptoms still linger but I feel uneasy about it. Anyone know?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:27 pm
anyone?

mamaleh

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:35 pm
I was told, and I've read on websites (including at least one govt one- don't remember if it was CDC or NJ):
you are only contagious up to 10 days after onset of symptoms (or positive test) assuming the following are both true at that point:
You have not had fever for at least 24 hours
and
Your symptoms are getting better. (loss of taste & smell do not need to be improving as they will remain the same until they come back which can be months)

Many symptoms (especially cough and exhaustion) can and will linger for much longer than 10 days but if they are better than they were then they no longer indicate contagion.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:36 pm
I coughed for 3 months . I wasnt contagious after 14 days

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 10:52 pm
10 days per CDC, as long as you’re fever free for 24 hours ( without meds ) and your symptoms are improving

Just One

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 12:03 am
The are many contradictory shitas ranging from the real mekilim who say once fever is gone for 24 hours to those machmirim who say the safest thing is to get locked up for life once you got a positive diagnosis (lechatchila you can be proactive and lock down even without Covid symptoms, veharei ze meshibach).
Ask your LOR or better yet your local medical professional

Elfrida

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 12:27 am
The latest official guidelines in Israel are that a cough is not considered to be a problem if:

1) at least ten day have passed since diagnosis.
2) there are no other significant symptoms such as fever.
3) the cough does not lead to shortness of breath or wake the person up at night.

A cough itself can last a long time. As long as all three conditions are filled, it is not considered contagious.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 1:58 am
It’s 10 days since onset of symptoms. If you only test a week in you don’t need to wait 10 days days from then. That’s per the DOH in my area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics