Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Have someone teach daughter to apply makeup - yay or nay?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 6:04 am
17 year old girl in her senior year

we're talking basic foundation / blush /

Do I take her to a makeup artist? a store?

or just order what I wear with trial and error for colors

[I was that age a long time ago - can't recall what I did]

Did you start out applying cosmetics on your own or with help of a professional?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 6:05 am
Such a nice idea! If she is into it for sure get a professional to teach her.

Rappel

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 6:14 am
Definitely have someone teach her, and give her a budget to try different things and play around.

You're a good mom. Kudos!

Success10

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 6:18 am
Bring someone young and trendy, and someone who understands your community standards of what's acceptable for that age bracket.

essie14

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 6:20 am
Definitely.
My mom used to take us to the department store make up counter when she was going to buy things anyway, and I learned how to apply my makeup from those makeovers.

Last edited by essie14 on Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:37 am
Unless you are clueless and she wants to make it a profession, teach her or let her do her thing or have her friends teach her

elisheva25

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:38 am
For sure have someone teach her !
Great idea !

Teomima

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:40 am
Is this coming from you or her? If she's expressing interest then great, have someone teach her. But if she's not interested, don't get involved.

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:49 am
If she wants to then yes. So sweet of you.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:52 am
Is this the new standard?
My mom just took me to the store and bought a few basics, and then let me figure it out. I still don't do foundation or whatever else people wear, but I'm not into make up much.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:16 am
It's not a new standard
it's me
I really want to do this mom thing right
I was left to my own devices [is that the expression I'm looking for?]
way too much
and want to make sure I show my daughter the way
instead of letting her fumble around to figure things out

silverlining3

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:24 am
Definitely take her to a store or wherever and let someone match colors to her skin tone.
About teaching, if she's into makeup, expresses interest, it's a very nice idea to have someone teach her. And I'm sure she'll appreciate it. Otherwise, I don't think. Maybe ask her what she prefers.

yamaha

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:28 am
Ask her if she wants it. Emphasize that she's beautiful no matter what. Don't put pressure if she's not interested. If she is interested, that's a lovely and generous thing to offer.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:34 am
Success10 wrote:
Bring someone young and trendy, and someone who understands your community standards of what's acceptable for that age bracket.

A regular professional may do too much or push her to try things out of her comfort zone.
I’d only go to a professional if she understands the nuances of your community.
Maybe there’s a makeup artist in your circles or that knows the nuances of your circles.
It’s awkward to show up to work looking like you’re going to a wedding.
And some circles would consider it not tzanua if it’s “too much”.

Teomima

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:37 am
yamaha wrote:
Ask her if she wants it. Emphasize that she's beautiful no matter what. Don't put pressure if she's not interested. If she is interested, that's a lovely and generous thing to offer.

This.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:25 am
You sound like a good mom, and kudos to you for breaking the cycle! I'm sorry this had to come from a place of pain for you.

What is more important than the makeup, is the conversation you will have about your DD about it. THAT will be the most valuable thing you can give her.

Ask her if she's even interested in makeup. Ask her if she wants lessons. LISTEN to what she has to say. Teens need to feel like their opinions are the most important thing in the world to you, and that you value and respect them.

If she wants makeup, I highly recommend Bare Minerals. It's healthy for her skin, easy to use, and I really like the starter kit. It has very natural colors that will enhance natural beauty, and it's hard to get it wrong. She may need someone to teach her how to use it for Shabbos and Yom Tov according to halacha (not blending or layering colors.)

My DD started with Bare Minerals, and she liked it. She's since decided that she doesn't want to wear any makeup at all, so you'll need to be prepared that this might happen with your DD, too. It's OK! It's not a rejection of you or your efforts. Just let it be a fun thing to try out.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:42 am
While I was putting makeup on this morning I thought of this thread. My mother did bring me to a makeup artist, but it’s just me. I’m really bad at applying makeup. That was not the only time I went to one either. Weird thing is, I’m actually very creative and good with my hands, but not those types of things.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's not a new standard
it's me
I really want to do this mom thing right
I was left to my own devices [is that the expression I'm looking for?]
way too much
and want to make sure I show my daughter the way
instead of letting her fumble around to figure things out

I totally get that. I was also never really shown how to apply makeup or even what to get, and I always felt like I must look stupid or like I don’t know what I’m doing. At this point (I’m 21), I don’t really like makeup much, wear a bit of eyeliner and lipstick most of the time, but still feel awkward when I do try to do a bit more for a nice Shabbos at my inlaws for example; I keep noticing all my sils’ makeup and wishing I’d have had the opportunity to learn to do it properly.

Kudos to you for giving your daughter what you never got! I hope to do the same for mine iyH. However, I would ask her first since some girls (like my younger sisters) somehow pick it up automatically and don’t feel the need to be told what to do.

Siriusly?

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:03 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
While I was putting makeup on this morning I thought of this thread. My mother did bring me to a makeup artist, but it’s just me. I’m really bad at applying makeup. That was not the only time I went to one either. Weird thing is, I’m actually very creative and good with my hands, but not those types of things.

Same!! I can create almost anything with my hands but put me near hair or makeup and I am clueless Can't Believe It

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:10 am
Are stores even doing makeovers now, with covid?

Nevetheless, I vote for a makeover/lesson with her choosing her own products. What's right for 30 or 40-something you isn't right for 17 year old her.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics