Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Are you chassidish? Poll
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Are you chassidish?
Grew up chassidish, now not anymore  
 2%  [ 8 ]
Grew up nonchassidish, now chassidish  
 5%  [ 18 ]
Grew up chassidish, still chassidish  
 44%  [ 152 ]
Grew up nonchassidish, still nonchassidish  
 47%  [ 160 ]
Total Votes : 338

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:33 am
Most aren't.

silverlining3

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:39 am
Ruchel wrote:
Most aren't.

Uh, not so sure.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:44 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Why not?
I consider Chassidish anyone who follows one Rebbe whatever he says, and also has a lot of chumras Smile
Since you have the most chumras Pesach time, I think you qualify.

My family has chasiddish minhagim (davening sfard, chumras, etc.) but since we have no rebbe, just a 'regular' rav that changes if we move, I voted nonchassidish.

I’m chassidish without a rebbi. I have a rov

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:44 am
Many very modern chassidim aren't so hard, just have minhagim

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:46 am
nchr wrote:
A significant portion of this site is Chassidish but that may be surprising to non Chassidish posters who wouldn't pick up on certain nuance in the responses.

Yes, indeed...

American-chassidish seems to be a culture of its own, with its own worldview, language, and a very indirect way of expressing things sometimes...

It could get an outsider confused... Sometimes they might understand the contrary of what was meant...

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:51 am
My mother became frum through Lubavitch and
then became close to Bobov, so she sent us to our OOT chassidish (not Lubavitch) elementary school, and taught us a hodgepodge of minhagim - lighting Shabbos candles from age 3, davening nusach sfard, wearing chassidish-style opaque “Palm” tights, my brothers grew long curly payos (until they were older teens and cut them to fit in with their yeshivish peer groups)...

I have fondness for, but no real connection to chassidish culture/community as an adult. I married a yeshivish guy and in adulthood, we migrated together towards more JPF/MO hashkafos and behaviors.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:52 am
I got frum/BT within Chabad, but I always davent from a ashkenazi siddur, DH grew up black hat Yeshivish but when he went to uni he changed his levush in jeans and without a hat and everything. I see also lots of difference between US frum and EU frum. I know chassidim been in Antwerp made contacts with Belz, Satmar and Gur women. I love the Chadissidh levush, but to add all chumros and so on to my life? No thx

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:57 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Yes, indeed...

American-chassidish seems to be a culture of its own, with its own worldview, language, and a very indirect way of expressing things sometimes...

It could get an outsider confused... Sometimes they might understand the contrary of what was meant...

Yeah I can get that, I’ve never been to America but what I’ve heard and experienced is that in Europe you can meet everyone in the supermarket or at a chol moed concert. I mean in Manchester or Antwerp you can have a Zumba class with frum women of all walks of the frum spectrum basically. I feel US Jewry is really like if u live in BP and u are bobov that’s your world. Maybe I’m totally wrong

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 7:59 am
That would be possible in big places. But sad...?

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:31 am
nchr wrote:
A significant portion of this site is Chassidish but that may be surprising to non Chassidish posters who wouldn't pick up on certain nuance in the responses.

I would never profess to pick on all the nuances, but many anonymous posters are obviously chassidish.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:36 am
I think over time the demographics of this site change. Ive been on this site for over 15 years. Its always changing Smile

Success10

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:37 am
I am floored by the results of this poll.

silverlining3

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:44 am
From what I perceive, over the years the Yiddish language became very popular among the non-chassidish. These days I think many want their kids to know the basic.
Maybe I'm wrong.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:20 am
silverlining3 wrote:
From what I perceive, over the years the Yiddish language became very popular among the non-chassidish. These days I think many want their kids to know the basic.
Maybe I'm wrong.

I don’t know anyone who isn’t chasidish who knows Yiddish anymore. In my generation (high 30s) we learned a little in a litvish school and heard it from our grandparents, but I don’t see the younger generation knowing much at all.

Success10

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:21 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I think over time the demographics of this site change. Ive been on this site for over 15 years. Its always changing Smile

It could be the way chassidim view internet use is changing.

Success10

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I don’t know anyone who isn’t chasidish who knows Yiddish anymore. In my generation (high 30s) we learned a little in a litvish school and heard it from our grandparents, but I don’t see the younger generation knowing much at all.

In Jerusalem, Litvish Chadarim in Yiddish are popular, there are a few. I know of a couple of Litvish families that speak Yiddish, one is from England. I don't know if I would call it a revival, but it exists.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

Yiddish is not that hard to understand if you know certain languages...
Is it hard for English-speakers?

I thought it was very similar...

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:27 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

IIRC, this site started out for Chabad women and opened up to any other frum women not too long after. As facebook came into the picture, I feel like more women left here for FB. Now, it seems like the vane is changing and social media lite, such as using whatsapp for social media (I still don't get that) and instagram becomes more accepted, other venues are somehow available for chassidish women. At the same time, the more accepted it becomes, the more some pull away from it and only use this site for social media. There are also conversations here that you would NEVER ever see on facebook or instagram or even in a random whatsapp thread because the anonymity of this site lets people let loose.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

I know plenty of people in the younger generation who speak Yiddish who are not Chassidish. I have a close friend, as yeshish/Litvish as they come, who speaks yiddish in the home, and she's not the only one. Lakewood definitely has a yiddish-speaking Litvish population.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 9:40 am
The poll is are you Chassidish so of course more Chassidish ppl will open this thread vs non Chassidish, which skews the results.

I voted Chassidish. My husband wears a gartel, follows the derech of the Baal Stem tov, doesn't shave, davens nusach sfard. We aren't part of a Chassidish corporation though.

And btw my Lubavitch relatives are very proud to be Chassidish.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics