Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is there a shortcut for making potato salad? takes so long

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:45 pm
It takes so long to make potato salad. Is there a shortcut?

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:48 pm
How do you make it?
I dice raw potatoes and then boil. As soon as that's cooked and soft and then cooled, I add veg and dressing.
It's not quick but I hate peeling cooked potatoes. And small bits of potatoes cook much faster than whole ones.

Frumme

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:49 pm
What's your current method?

I just boil whole potatoes, let cool enough to handle, dice, and add the rest of the potato salad ingredients....

Stars

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:50 pm
How do you make it?
I peel and cube a few potatoes and 1-2 sweet potatoes
Mix with a bit of salt, some Mayo, A splash of pickle juice and A cubed pickle or two
That’s it. My family licks the pot clean every time.

momofboys

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:51 pm
I peal two potatoes put it in mesh veggie bag,tie bag and drop it into chicken soup..take bag out of soup after hour..add carrots and sour pickles..mayo.vinegar.sugar salt...delicious fleishig potato salad..yummm

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 4:31 pm
I boil the potatoes then peel, then cut and chop the celery, peel and cut carrots, boil, peel, chop the eggs, make the dressing, it took a very long time to do all these, maybe an hour without counting boiling the water.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 4:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I boil the potatoes then peel, then cut and chop the celery, peel and cut carrots, boil, peel, chop the eggs, make the dressing, it took a very long time to do all these, maybe an hour without counting boiling the water.

Can you put in the eggs to boil with the potatoes, during the last 13 minutes of cooking? Use a bag of Dole shredded carrots instead of chopping?

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Oct 16 2020, 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tzippy323

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 4:47 pm
Oh...I just started making potato salad a totally new way. Cut up potatoes to the size you want the chunks to be in the salad. Toss the cubes with olive oil, rosemary, basil, and thyme, with a little pink salt. Put in a roaster and place in the oven at 400 degrees. Clean up and chop a really large onion and 2 humongous dill pickles. Take out the potatoes, add the onions and pickles, and then add mayo and mix. Delish!

sub

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 4:51 pm
Peel potatoes before cooking
Slice in half
Cook, let cool
Chunk cooked potatoes
1-Add can peas and carrots
Slice pickles
Salt, pepper, paprika
Mayo
2- add sliced onions instead of peas and carrots

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 4:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I use frozen peas and carrots instead of cutting carrots and celery. Sometimes I cut pickles. I don't add eggs. For dressing I just put mayo and spices - salt, pepper, garlic, basil/ dill, sometimes turmeric.
It doesn't take too long to cut potatoes, so there's not that much work involved in this salad. I also don't peel the potatoes - the skin is good for you.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 7:38 pm
thanks for all the tips

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 7:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It takes so long to make potato salad. Is there a shortcut?

Yes, buy it

zaq

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 10:33 pm
You seem to be making a rather complex potato salad. I boil the spuds, peel (or not, if I trust that I scrubbed them well enough), cut up chunky. Grate in some carrot, add some diced pickle (takes sixty seconds, max, to cut up a pickle) plop in a dollop of mayo, dollop of prepared mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, paprika, mix. If I have scallions they go in, too, but I seldom have them. Never timed it start to finish, but while the spuds are boiling I'm doing other things.

if you use celery and carrots for other dishes, process them in bulk. IOW cut up all your celery, carrots, onion and whatever else you use all at once, then you have them ready for all the dishes you'll be making. You can store them in a jar in the fridge for several days and use them up during the week. If you won't use them up, freeze them for soups and casseroles.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 10:41 pm
If you use red potatoes, just scrub.

familyfirst

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 10:56 pm
We use red potatoes
Don’t peel
Boil. ,cool, dice

Add mayo, vinegar, salt
Diced carrots, pickles, scallions
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen