Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to cover hair in school- first real job!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:30 pm
Hey so I just graduated and Ill be working in a (Jewish) school...My hours are 9-6 everyday. Now Ive taught in the past in bais yaakov schools but I was single and I only worked in the mornings...

what do married women do about covering their hair? Is it considered professional to wear a sheital all day? How can I avoid headaches? On "rainy days" what do you do? Are wearing chenilles not appropriate?

Radish

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:32 pm
A sheitel is your best bet if professional is the look you're going for. Definitely not snoods.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hey so I just graduated and Ill be working in a (Jewish) school...My hours are 9-6 everyday. Now Ive taught in the past in bais yaakov schools but I was single and I only worked in the mornings...

what do married women do about covering their hair? Is it considered professional to wear a sheital all day? How can I avoid headaches? On "rainy days" what do you do? Are wearing chenilles not appropriate?

Most people that work in a school wear a wig all day. It's not professional to wear a chenille in a school. You can wear a hat/band fall. When it rains you put on a hood or use an umbrella.
Maybe talk to other's that work there to get an idea of what they wear.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:34 pm
Radish wrote:
A sheitel is your best bet if professional is the look you're going for. Definitely not snoods.

K I figured!! Just double checking. But what do women do when its a rainy day? Just wear their sheital and let it get wet and frizzy?

(I just got married so im ttly new to all this! my mother doesnt cover her hair so I cant ask her)

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:34 pm
Considered professional to wear a sheitel all day.
I find a wigrip headband prevents headaches.
Obviously a correctly fitting sheitel, you can remove/reposition clips etc

Hatzlocha!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:35 pm
Thanks everyone! What about on fridays when its a shorter day and more "casual", is a tichel also not such a nice thing to wear?

Nvmd! I see everyone is saying sheitals.
Thank you Smile

Frumme

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
K I figured!! Just double checking. But what do women do when its a rainy day? Just wear their sheital and let it get wet and frizzy?

(I just got married so im ttly new to all this! my mother doesnt cover her hair so I cant ask her)

If you're wearing a sheitel all day 5 days a week, you'll probably need to get it washed (and set if that's your thing) once a month. I wouldn't be concerned so much about the rain making your hair frizzy. Just make sure you wear a hat or hood over it if it's raining, and if it does get frizzy, rub a little argan oil in it when you get home, brush it out, and it should be fine Smile

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:45 pm
If you have just graduated and been a student yourself, I am sure you realized everyone is wearing sheitels, or a tichel if that is how they officially cover.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:45 pm
Frumme wrote:
If you're wearing a sheitel all day 5 days a week, you'll probably need to get it washed (and set if that's your thing) once a month. I wouldn't be concerned so much about the rain making your hair frizzy. Just make sure you wear a hat or hood over it if it's raining, and if it does get frizzy, rub a little argan oil in it when you get home, brush it out, and it should be fine Smile

Great idea!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:46 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
If you have just graduated and been a student yourself, I am sure you realized everyone is wearing sheitels, or a tichel if that is how they officially cover.

The teachers on my floor were all single and the married teachers wore sheitals but they only worked from 9-11:30. I cant imagine wearing a sheital from 7 am till about 7 when I get home

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Wear a rain bonnet or have an umbrella.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Most people that work in a school wear a wig all day. It's not professional to wear a chenille in a school. You can wear a hat/band fall. When it rains you put on a hood or use an umbrella.
Maybe talk to other's that work there to get an idea of what they wear.

Don't know anyone else there to ask.
I might invest in a fall like you suggest. Are beanies more of a casual look to wear in a boys cheder?

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The teachers on my floor were all single and the married teachers wore sheitals but they only worked from 9-11:30. I cant imagine wearing a sheital from 7 am till about 7 when I get home

You’ll get used to it.

When I was teaching a full day I wore a sheitel from 8-6 every day.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:49 pm
Where are you working?

In a mo or jpf school, all headcoverings are fine!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:50 pm
Wear a fall. I find it’s a lot more comfortable. I wear with headbands or hats in the winter, but not beanies- too casual for my industry!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:51 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Where are you working?

Chassidish boys school (edited my first post I dont want to give myself away!)

Ill end up wearing a sheital for now as was suggested and ill see if the other employers wear beanies over falls

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:52 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Where are you working?

I don’t think a chenille Snood is considered professional in a jpf school. Maybe MO- I have no experience with that. A fedora or other structured hat would be ok in my opinion.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:58 pm
In a chasidish school I would think only a full sheitel would go. I don't think a fall would be seen as appropriate. Maybe find out if the school has a faculty dress code

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Chassidish boys school (edited my first post I dont want to give myself away!)

Ill end up wearing a sheital for now as was suggested and ill see if the other employers wear beanies over falls

Chasidish boys school you should definitely wear a wig. Maybe get a short bob just for work, it's soo comfortable you don't feel like you're wearing a wig.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Oct 17 2020, 10:00 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
In a chasidish school I would think only a full sheitel would go. I don't think a fall would be seen as appropriate. Maybe find out if the school has a faculty dress code

I know women that work in chassidish boys school and wear a band fall. They're nursery teachers or therapist/remedial. It's fine.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics