Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
At What age does your child sit in the front passenger seat?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:12 pm
Carpool arrangements want my son, 9yo 85lb sitting in the front seat next to the driver. Would you be comfortable with this or nay?

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Carpool arrangements want my son, 9yo 85lb sitting in the front seat next to the driver. Would you be comfortable with this or nay?

Nay.

How tall is he?

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:18 pm
Yes. Does your son wear a seatbelt?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:19 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Nay.

How tall is he?

4 ft 2 inches

amother
Firebrick

Depends on the laws in your state. When my kids were young it was 12 years old and also a height and weight requirement. All 3 standards had to be met.

amother
OP

Rappel wrote:
Yes. Does your son wear a seatbelt?
absolutely.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:20 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Depends on the laws in your state. When my kids were young it was 12 years old and also a height and weight requirement. All 3 standards had to be met.
cant find anything from my state. We’re in NJ.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
4 ft 2 inches

Way too short for it to be safe in any way. The minimum requirements are 4'9", or 5" depending on your state.

simcha2

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Absolutely not.

First he is not really tall enough to be riding without a booster. Below 4' 9" a seat belt is not positioned correctly without a booster.

Second, he is not heavy enough to turn on the air bag.

Third, if the air bag does deploy, it is dangerous for kids whose bones are not yet hardened.

There's a reason why the cdc says you should be at least 12 to ride in the front seat.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Way too short for it to be safe in any way. The minimum requirements are 4'9", or 5" depending on your state.
can you help me find this info for nj? Can’t find anything online...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
can you help me find this info for nj? Can’t find anything online...

There are no laws. Just recommendations to wait until an age.

A child age 8 and older can sit in a regular seat using a seat belt. However, the New Jersey law does not specify when children over age 8 can move from the back seat to the front seat. The Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends children not sit in the front seat until age 12.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:38 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
There are no laws. Just recommendations to wait until an age.

A child age 8 and older can sit in a regular seat using a seat belt. However, the New Jersey law does not specify when children over age 8 can move from the back seat to the front seat. The Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends children not sit in the front seat until age 12.
yes this is what I keep seeing. There are definitely 12 year olds that are the size of my child

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 4:46 pm
12-14

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:03 pm
at 4'2", I don't see how the adult seat belt will fit him correctly. It *may* not be illegal, but it is not the safest option for your child.

I see this on the nj.gov website:
"Q - How can I determine if my child will be properly protected by the vehicle’s seat belt?

A - Use the seat belt fit test on all children under 13 years of age to be sure they are big enough to safely use the adult seat belt without a booster seat.
Have the child sit all the way back on the vehicle seat. Check to see if the knees bend
naturally at the seat edge. If they do, continue the test. If they do not - the child should continue to ride in a booster seat.
Buckle the lap and shoulder belt. Be sure the lap belt lies across the upper legs (the pant’s pocket area). If it lays across the upper thighs, move on to the next step. If it does not, the child should continue to ride in a booster seat.
Be sure the shoulder belt lies on the shoulder or collarbone (and is not cutting into the neck). If it lies on the shoulder, move to the next step. If it is on the face or neck, the child should continue to ride in a booster seat. DO NOT place the shoulder belt under the arm or behind the child’s back!
Be sure that your child can maintain the correct seating position for as long as you are in the car. If your child begins to slouch or shift position so the safety belt contacts the face, neck, or abdomen, the child should continue to ride a booster seat until all the steps can be met."

onlyone

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:05 pm
Omygosh sorry but no way! He is too young, still not very heavy. My daughter, who is 11 in January is still in a booster! In general though, my children are 12 before they sir in the front seat or very close to it.
I'd say make other arrangements.

onlyone

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:07 pm
And you just said 4'2. My daughter who is close to 11 is still only 4'2 and 53 ibs. She sits in a booster and will till she is at least 4'9.
There is no way I'd be comfortable with this

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:13 pm
Yes my 9 year old son does sit in the front, on a booster. There are no laws against it and we feel it’s safe.

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:22 pm
Age 12-13. No exceptions.

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:23 pm

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 5:40 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Yes my 9 year old son does sit in the front, on a booster. There are no laws against it and we feel it’s safe.

Is the airbag disconnected? Children sitting in the front seat can be badly injured or killed if an airbag is deployed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics