Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Best way to make veal chops

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 6:07 pm
I hardly ever make meat but decided to splurge for Rosh Chodesh.

So I'm not overly concerned with how healthy or fatty, just no carbs.

Is it better to pan fry with onions & mushrooms or broil with a little spices (serve onions & mushrooms on the side?) I know broiling is healthier but since I almost never do this I'm more into what's more reliable not to overcook etc.

Hope someone can help before I need to start cooking!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 6:50 pm
I should add I am not fond of wine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 8:38 pm
K, so looking up a couple of recipes, I will share what I did.

Sauteed two onions, added a pkg of mushrooms, put in oven to finish.

Three veal chops, minced 2 cloved garlic & rubbed in, with a generous amount of thyme leaves (the rosemary being AWOL at the moment). Rubbed in 1/4 c Rorie's Grain Free mix.

Browned on both sides, about 7-10 minutes per side, til pretty well-browned.

Placed in pan.

Took 1/2 c water & about 1/4 c red wine (that being all I had) to deglaze pan although I don't really love the taste of food cooked in wine, this was little enough that it did not impart much taste). Poured over chops & baked for 10 more minutes.

DH, bless his heart, didn't trust me that it was well-done enough, so he put his back in the frying pan for a few minutes.

I went to weigh my 6 ounce portion & had to change the battery on the food scale! So much for sitting down to an elegant dinner. (After I ate, I weighed the fat I didn't eat, it was 1 ounce, so I took another ounce of meat.

(DH comments this would have cost $80 at a restaurant, should we find one that works for us! As it as it was about $30 for the meat & of course whatever time I took out of my other important pursuits.)

Pretty successful for once in a while.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 8:42 pm
Wow. You really worked hard for this. I'm glad you enjoyed it. ever since I became kosher I haven't been satisfied by a single restaurant. I'd much rather cook at home. It's better value but also better quality and experience.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:44 pm
If they’re first cut, keep it simple. Salt, olive oil. Seasonings you like. I like mine medium rare. It doesn’t even take long. Yum.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen