Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Hospital visitation
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Zehava

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How terrible it was to listen to my sick (no not corona) family member complaining in the weak barely heard voice about being alone most of the time beside for a measly 6 hours when visits are allowed.
Are the nurses even feeding the patients that can’t eat on their own??? Do they get a drink only when a nurse remembers to ask if the want one?!
They no longer allow the iPad either.
I know we are “lucky” bec a few months ago there was zero visitation but that doesn’t help the poor patient suffering now
When will this end??????????

It’s still pretty terrible
I know people are bringing along wads of cash when admitting a patient. It’s legal, and sometimes makes a difference between lifesaving treatment or death. It also helps them get better treatment overall.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:54 am
I am not understanding something, someone pls explain.
Why are patients not getting adequate care ... such as food & water in timely manner ?
I may understand the reason for short visiting hours, but why such poor care .
Hospitals are not overwhelmed now, the way they were back in April... so what the issue now ?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:07 am
Zehava wrote:
I know people are bringing along wads of cash when admitting a patient. It’s legal, and sometimes makes a difference between lifesaving treatment or death. It also helps them get better treatment overall.

The organizations do this as well.
Unfortunately most NY hospitals that were earlier this month allowing visitation for ICU and admitted COVID patients have stopped or reduced their hours now.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:08 am
elisheva25 wrote:
Why are patients not getting adequate care ... such as food & water in timely manner ?
Hospitals are not overwhelmed now, the way they were back in April... so what the issue now ?

Patients that are to weak to bring a cup to their mouth need someone there constantly

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:10 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
The organizations do this as well.
Unfortunately most NY hospitals that were earlier this month allowing visitation for ICU and admitted COVID patients have stopped or reduced their hours now.

This is NOT a Covid patient (who don’t either deserve to be left alone for so long). This is a private room for really sick patients

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:12 am
elisheva25 wrote:

They are giving adequate care, people are just saying let's say someone is thirsty. Nurses cannot be on call 24/7 whereas a family member would address it ASAP. It's important people realize this because going to the hospital, covid or not, is really important and for covid pateints going early now really improves outcomes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:18 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
They are giving adequate care, people are just saying let's say someone is thirsty. Nurses cannot be on call 24/7 whereas a family member would address it ASAP. It's important people realize this because going to the hospital, covid or not, is really important and for covid pateints going early now really improves outcomes.

Is adequate care giving just enough to keep a person alive??? Giving someone food at whatever time and if the don’t eat now to bad? Next drink or meal in 5 hours????
I understand nurses are stretched thin. That’s why hospital policy should change
There’s a reason we have a mitzvah of bikur cholim.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:22 am
Zehava wrote:

I agree with this, unfortunately.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:53 am
Zehava wrote:

Who do they give the cash to? The hospital? Every doctor and nurse on the ward? What about the night shift?

Zehava

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:02 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Who do they give the cash to? The hospital? Every doctor and nurse on the ward? What about the night shift?

The doctors and nurses who are in charge of the patients care

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is adequate care giving just enough to keep a person alive??? Giving someone food at whatever time and if the don’t eat now to bad? Next drink or meal in 5 hours????
I understand nurses are stretched thin. That’s why hospital policy should change
There’s a reason we have a mitzvah of bikur cholim.

Yes, adequate care is doing enough to keep someone alive. Obviously families want more and deserve it, but that doesn't mean the hospital is negligent.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:09 am
Bluepink wrote:
As an RN in a hospital that used to allow tablets but no longer does, I’m sorry and I’m with you all the way. During our unit meeting discussing the policy change, I tried to argue on behalf of patients and families, but no one else agreed. The reason they don’t allow them is not only because the nurses are being watched, but because they can be videotaped or recorded somehow. I really don’t see that logic at all, because we always used to allow family 24/7, where they would watch us ( and often secretly record us). I don’t see the difference between remote monitoring vs them being at the bedside.
I also saw the amazing impact of a tablet with 2 way video on my family members recovery back in June. He would have been delirious and aggressive without the ability to see us. We were able to talk to him and reorient him any time of day.

Wow! Thank you. Takes courage to stand up.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:11 am
I have a close family member in one of the nyc hospitals that is considered from the better ones right now. She's very ill and has been going back and forth from icu to step down unit and back. Shes getting the medical care she needs howeverits been gehinnom. One nurse point blank told her she likes patients who are on ventilators so they can't "bother" her. They will not bring you a drink for sure. But they won't come change you for hours and other daily needs. Since family can only be there for couple hours a day, it's really hard

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:24 am
Zehava wrote:
The doctors and nurses who are in charge of the patients care

People really do this??

imasinger

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:28 am
This is horrifying.

Thank you to those working to change something so broken.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
People really do this??

Yes and Refuah Helpline, Chaim Medical, Bikur Cholim do too!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:31 am
People really do this??

Someome personally told me he was doing this for a friend, and I know another case which I only heard through the grapevine.

Zehava

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:32 am
People really do this??

Yes absolutely. Ones gotta do what ones gotta do. It’s sad that this is what’s needed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Yes, adequate care is doing enough to keep someone alive. Obviously families want more and deserve it, but that doesn't mean the hospital is negligent.

Yes. If people are denied food, drink, being changed.... yes they ARE negligent.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:13 pm
Zehava wrote:
Yes absolutely. Ones gotta do what ones gotta do. It’s sad that this is what’s needed.
I agree, ones gotta do what ones gotta do, but I didn't even think of this possiblity!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics