Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Has anyone written a children's book?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 5:43 am
I have this idea, for a few years already, but am nervous that nothing will come of it.

If you have written a children's book, how were you successful with that?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:39 am
I have written a few books for general publishers (not the frum market). I wrote, got feedback, revised, and sent the manuscript out to publishers. Hearing back can take a very long time.

Writing for kids is rewarding, but not in the financial sense.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:52 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I have written a few books for general publishers (not the frum market). I wrote, got feedback, revised, and sent the manuscript out to publishers. Hearing back can take a very long time.

Writing for kids is rewarding, but not in the financial sense.
Mine is not a jewish themed idea at all.
And yes, I know, one writes a children's book for the rewards of feelings, not money.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:05 am
I wrote a Jewish themed children's book and self-published it.
It appealed to a certain segment of the Jewish community.
The hardest part wasn't the writing, it was promoting and selling it afterwards.
You're basically a one-man band trying to do all different jobs that aren't really your forte. I can write. Selling isn't my thing.
Overall I made back my expenses and a little more. We still have cases and cases of books in the basement.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Mine is not a jewish themed idea at all.
And yes, I know, one writes a children's book for the rewards of feelings, not money.

Then I guess I didn't understand your original post. What do you mean that you're afraid nothing will come of the book? How do you define success?

So long as you only have an idea, you haven't written a book. Write it out and see how it looks.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Then I guess I didn't understand your original post. What do you mean that you're afraid nothing will come of the book? How do you define success?

So long as you only have an idea, you haven't written a book. Write it out and see how it looks.
I mean that I am nervous nobody will buy it/like the idea.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mean that I am nervous nobody will buy it/like the idea.

You won't know until you try.

Just about every published author has gotten loads of rejections. It's the nature of the game.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:47 am
I have a few family members who published
One wrote a children’s picture book published by a large non Jewish publishing company and it was very well received. Won awards. Reprinted in multiple languages. But after 2 books she stopped - it just wasn’t worth the effort.
Another relative writes Jewish children chapter books. They are very popular. There aren’t many options for elementary age kids and ppl really buy her books. I think there is a market for that to be well accepted (but not make a lot of money)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics