Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who are your Sephardi/Ashkenazi female cultural heroes?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:33 am
I just learned about Sol Hachuel, a Moroccan Jewish girl who was beheaded at 17 in 1834 because she refused to convert to Islam.

I’d never heard of her before and would love to know about other historical heroic Jewish women who you admire and who inspire you.

Especially heroines who are particularly important in your specific communities.

Can’t wait to read your answers and learn more about our collective history.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 6:37 am
Dona Gracia and Judith Montefiore

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:24 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Dona Gracia and Judith Montefiore

Wow—absolutely amazing people. So excited to learn more about them. Thank you

yksraya

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:16 am
Sara shenirer. Maybe not that long ago, but she planted the seed for chinuch habunis.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:57 am
yksraya wrote:
Sara shenirer. Maybe not that long ago, but she planted the seed for chinuch habunis.

Absolutely! An amazing role model.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:03 am
Henny Machlis. Im not speaking of her shabbos guests. I love that the biography about her speaks of her personal growth, her internal struggles and her constant drive to improve. She inspires me whenever I am down.

Every single female ancestor of mine who kept mikva without electricity, plumbing or heated water.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:03 am
Hanna Sennesh.

Einikel

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:04 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
Hanna Sennesh.

Who was she?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:08 am
Einikel wrote:
Who was she?

She is also one of my personal heroes. Here is info about her from Wikipedia because I couldn’t do her justice on my own.

Hannah Szenes (often anglicized as Hannah Senesh or Chanah Senesh; Hebrew: חנה סנש‎; Hungarian: Szenes Anna; July 17, 1921 – November 7, 1944) was a poet and a Special Operations Executive (SOE) member. She was one of 37 Jewish SOE recruits from Mandate Palestine parachuted by the British into Yugoslavia during the Second World War to assist anti-Nazi forces and ultimately in the rescue of Hungarian Jews about to be deported to the German death camp at Auschwitz.

Szenes was arrested at the Hungarian border, then imprisoned and tortured, but refused to reveal details of her mission. She was eventually tried and executed by firing squad. She is regarded as a national heroine in Israel, where her poetry is widely known and the headquarters of the Zionist youth movements Israel Hatzeira, a kibbutz and several streets are named after her.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:22 am
Sarah Aaronsohn

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:35 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Henny Machlis. Im not speaking of her shabbos guests. I love that the biography about her speaks of her personal growth, her internal struggles and her constant drive to improve. She inspires me whenever I am down.

Every single female ancestor of mine who kept mikva without electricity, plumbing or heated water.

I'm glad you mentioned her--I've been wanting to read her biography and this was the inspiration I needed to finally order it! Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Sarah Aaronsohn

Yes!! She's been an inspiration to me since childhood. For those who don't know who Sarah Aaronsohn was, here is a great article about her: https://www.haaretz.com/jewish.....85627

Reality

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:45 am
Shula Cohen.

I wonder why she isn't more well known. I only learned about her this year while watching a documentary series on Israeli miracles.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:47 am
Reality wrote:
Shula Cohen.

I wonder why she isn't more well known. I only learned about her this year while watching a documentary series on Israeli miracles.

Wow!! I just looked her up. I’ve never heard of her—I’m so glad you posted about her. Truly a hero. What was the documentary series called?

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:48 am
Do they have to be frum? Golda Meir and RBG are 2 of mine. I also looked up to R Jungreis.

keym

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:49 am
I recently read the biography of Rebbitzen Vichna Kaplan.
But it got me thinking in admiration.
In the 40s, the bachurim in Europe with foreign passports were able to get out.
Many of them "paper married" local girls to save their lives.
R Nosson Wachtfogel married his wife like that.
She helped rebuild Bais Yaakov.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:53 am
OP, are you in the GSUFYO Facebook group 😉

Reality

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow!! I just looked her up. I’ve never heard of her—I’m so glad you posted about her. Truly a hero. What was the documentary series called?

Against all Odd: Israel Survives.

It's 10+ episodes. Included with Amazon Prime. Every episode is about a different person or episode in modern Israeli history.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:55 am
bigsis144 wrote:
OP, are you in the GSUFYO Facebook group 😉

Hehehe you got me! Smile

For context for people who don’t know what this is, it’s a Facebook group discussing Jewish topics and someone posted about Sol Hachuel today.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:57 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Do they have to be frum? Golda Meir and RBG are 2 of mine. I also looked up to R Jungreis.

Don’t have to be frum.

All very special and important Jewish women!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics